While it’s true that idyllic Koh Jum feels like a blast from the past, there is nothing old-school about the eco-luxe accommodation at Koh Jum Beach Villas - unequivocally the best place to stay on the island. Each of the 19 villas varies in size and layout, ranging from stylish honeymoon hideaways to sprawling family houses. All have stunning jungle surroundings and gorgeous design inside. At the centre of the resort lies the beachfront restaurant, main pool and bar - an idyllic place to kick-back and drink top-notch cocktails at sunset. Plus, mere footsteps away, a 700m-long beach to laze away your days in paradise.
- Located on a tranquil and totally unspoilt island within easy reach of international airports
- Stylish and breezy villas for all group sizes (2-10) - some are designed specifically for families, and lots have private pools
- The friendliness of the staff (and the islanders)
- A good range of dining options for all tastes, including self-catering, plus the cocktails at the bar are fabulous: sundowners of your dreams!
- Excellent eco-credentials without compromising on luxury - the resort has its own wind turbine, beach clean-up schemes, no single-use plastics and an organic garden that supplies the restaurant
- Koh Jum is not a party island - if you are looking for a full moon rave party, look elsewhere
- At low tide the reef is exposed so it's not possible to swim in the sea - use this time to do the lovely 4km walk along the beach to make the most of no noise pollution from boats and daytrippers
- Sections of the beach are rocky, but there are plenty of sandy spots
- You’re close to nature, so you might share your room with the occasional (harmless) grasshopper or gecko
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Beach Resort
- 19 villas for 2-10
- Restaurant and bar
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car not necessary
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Bicycles Available
- Laundry service
The 19 elegant villas are built with a nod to the traditional Thai lanna style: breezy, luscious and exotic. All share commonalities in design (built with local materials and dark wood), with bright splashes of colour, unique artworks and a tasteful collection of Thai antiques. Many have their own pools, ranging from picture-perfect plunge pools to larger lap pools. Nearly all have kitchens, big comfy couches, and cheerful sea or garden views. Villas are thoughtfully placed, peaking out of the jungle to ensure maximum privacy for honeymooners and families alike.
We loved the twin bungalows Baan Si Fah and Baan Si Dang (The Blue and Red villas): sexy honeymoon cottages perfect for two, with private infinity pools and private beach access. Baan Nai Faan (House of Dreams) has four bedrooms, a huge backyard pool and swish Moroccan-Thai fusion decor.
- In room treatments available
- Mosquito net
- Safe box
Drawing inspiration from Koh Jum’s natural bounty, the culinary team takes full advantage of the best local ingredients available. Produce comes from the on-site organic garden, fresh seafood is sourced from Koh Jum’s turquoise waters. At the beachfront restaurant, alluring Thai dishes like spicy papaya salad sit alongside European favourites like pizza, with daily-changing international specials. You can also expect a stellar cocktail bar- indisputably the best on the island, if not in all of Krabi province.
Breakfast is scrumptious, and even better when enjoyed beachside. A wide selection of western dishes (homemade peanut butter granola, plump golden croissants) sit alongside Thai breakfast delicacies and made-to-order omelettes. It’s a great start for a long day of doing, well, absolutely nothing!
Almost all villas are kitted out with kitchens, and you can request a stop at a supermarket as part of your transfer to the island (there are no large shops on Koh Jum itself).
- Coffee / tea making
- Room service
- Krabi province is famous for its hundreds of unique islands, and Koh Jum is the perfect base to discover them. Hire a private speedboat for a tour of the jaw-droppingly beautiful Phi Phi islands or a combination of uninhabited white sand islands nearby.
- Explore Koh Jum’s tranquil mangrove forests by kayak.
- Rise with the sun to spend a day fishing with a local expert.
- Test your balance with stand-up paddleboarding - Koh Jum’s placid surf is the perfect place to try it out.
- For a break from the sea, there are plenty of land-based activities ranging from private Thai cooking courses right in your villa to adrenaline-pumping Muay Thai courses and jungle treks.
- Bliss out with an in-villa spa treatment (the traditional Thai massage is hard to beat).
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Cooking classes
- Plantlife / flora
- Traditional cultures
- Well being
The culture on Koh Jum as a whole is very family-focused, and your children will be adored and doted-upon instantly. It’s a perfect beach for the little ones, as the waves are tranquil most of the year and the water is always warm. Many of the villas have been built specifically with families in mind, and the island has a surprisingly good clinic despite its tiny population.
Family friendly accommodation:
For families travelling with small children, we’d recommend booking one of the two-bedroom villas, as the master bedrooms are not detached so little ones won’t need to walk far to find their parents. However, extra beds and baby cots can be set up in nearly all villas (except the One Bedroom Beach Villas and One Bedroom Beach Pool Villas).
Kids Activities on site:
- In-villa Thai cooking courses
- Muay Thai courses
- Swimming pool
- Bikes to borrow
Families Should Know:
Pools are all unfenced. The villas are all open and are built elevated off the ground so parental supervision is necessary for toddlers.
- Airport: One hour
- Hospital: Five minutes to a small clinic on Koh Jum; 75 minutes to Nakarin International Hospital on the mainland in Krabi
- Supermarket: 15-minute walk
Koh Jum Beach Villas are located on Koh Jum Island, in the Krabi Province of Southern Thailand.
Krabi is the closest airport and is served by internal flights from Bangkok (a flying time of 80 minutes). You could also fly to Phuket and arrange an airport transfer via the hotel from there.
From the Airport:
From Krabi, a hotel representative will meet you and transfer you to their private pier (20 minutes). You'll then take a speed boat (20 minutes) or a long-tail boat (35 minutes) to Koh Jum's Mu Tu Pier, located five minutes from the hotel.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Krabi 50.0 km KBV
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 0.8 km
- Restaurant 0.2 km