“Elegant comfort and calm in a meticulously restored Palermo townhouse”
Owner and interior designer Cristina has a perfectionist’s eye for detail, and matches a flair for colour and textiles with respect for the house’s architectural history. A traditional 1900s casa chorizo, quiet rooms extend back from the street, interspersed with pretty courtyards giving light and air. The effect is privacy and space, in 10 individually decorated bedrooms which are minimalist, airy and calm. It’s hard to believe that the fine restaurants and buzzing bars of Palermo are only a block away.
- You'll find tranquility in the midst of Buenos Aires' most exciting area
- This is grown-up understated cool: there's none of that feeling of being on display which you get in Palermo’s excessively trendy hotels
- Rooms have very comfortable beds and lovely linen
- It's extremely good value for money: all rooms have satellite TV, DVD players, iPod docks and WiFi
- Restaurants and bars abound, but Palermo Hollywood is calmer and more authentic than neighbouring barrios
- The uplifting breakfast room has morning light, elegant tableware and a superb breakfast with fresh fruit and pastries
- There's no restaurant or bar, so you can’t quite fall from your last cocktail straight into bed, but there are excellent bars/eateries nearby
- It's very comfortable, but not quite luxurious, and the bathrooms are plain rather than sumptuous
- Feedback suggests rooms can get stuffy as the temperature is controlled centrally, but we didn't find this on our most recent visit
- The main doors are always locked so you need to buzz for entry and wait for staff to let you in
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Breakfast (+ restaurants nearby)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
Calm, understated elegance is evident in all rooms, with the quiet atmosphere you need for a comfortable night’s rest. There are 10 rooms, of which the standard rooms are upstairs, and all have ensuite bathrooms. The deluxe and superior rooms have more space, as you’d expect, but all are high-ceilinged and none feel squashed.
The beds are huge, firm and incredibly comfortable, with crisp white sheets and soft blankets. Add day pillows and bolsters and you have the perfect siesta space in the hot summer months. Original wooden floors are beautifully restored and varnished, and carefully-chosen textiles and paintings add splashes of colour.
Each room has its own distinctive atmosphere, ranging from the traditional Quinquela Suite, with stunning dark oak panelling and walnut wood antiques, to the exotic Afrodita Room, with shimmering gauze curtains. Superior rooms have peaceful pale walls with bold curtains, glamorous candelabras and lovely details such as antique sinks in the bathrooms.
Only the suite and some deluxe rooms have baths. Otherwise bathrooms have showers only, but these are powerful. The style of the bathrooms is a little on the spartan side, but everything is spotless and thoughtful toiletries are provided: soaps, shampoo, conditioner and a shower cap.
- Air conditioning
- Cd player
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- Dvd player
- Extra beds
- Ipod dock
- Safe box
- Satellite tv
Breakfast is a highlight here. You help yourself to whatever you fancy from the lavish array laid out on the sideboard in the lovely light-filled breakfast room. There’s a good selection of cereals, freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh fruit salad, hams, a selection of breads, toast, homemade cakes, and media lunas (croissants) with a choice of jams. There’s also fresh coffee and hot water for tea. Eggs are cooked on request.
Breakfast is eaten sitting at a long and beautifully decorated table with other guests. Take as long as you like: this is a relaxing place to sit and plan your day. Or if you’d rather be more private, staff will make up a smaller table on one of the covered patios.
There’s no restaurant on site but you can order room service if you fancy a snack, a sandwich or a drink. You only need step outside the building to find some lovely restaurants to choose from, and staff will readily come up with suggestions for dining. We recommend the charming Social Paraiso for lunch, Dominga for great sushi, and Punta Brasas, directly opposite the hotel, for tasty Italian food with an Argentine twist. Also nearby, Omm is a hip and cosy tapas bar, whose sister restaurant Omm Carnes serves superb steak. The great café and bookshop at Eterna Cadenza is a good place for coffee during the day.
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Sit on one of the quiet patios with a book, relax in the Jacuzzi with a glass of wine, or ask reception to book you an on-site massage
- Palermo is shopping heaven, divided into Palermo Hollywood (where Krista is) on the western side of Avenida Juan B Justo, and Palermo Soho on the eastern side. The majority of the chic shops and restaurants lie in Palermo Soho, in the 4 blocks between the plazas of Cortázar and Palermo
- The Palermo parks, where Porteños go to relax, are a short walk or taxi ride away. The gorgeous Parque Tres de Febrero has rose gardens, boating lakes, Japanese gardens, a zoo and a planetarium
- Rent a bicycle and visit the MALBA gallery (Avenida Figueroa Alcorta 3415) to see its fantastic collection of contemporary Latin American art, including works by Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera
- Lose your inhibitions and try a tango class at Dandi; phone ahead for lesson times
- A real tango show is a must - try La Esquina de Carlos Gardel or El Querendí. Prices normally include dinner before the performance
- Take a boat trip up the river to see Buenos Aires by night
- Play tennis at the nearby La Magdalena club
- If you want to go horse riding or learn to play polo, the hotel can arrange a visit to an estancia outside the city
- Staff can also advise about Spanish language classes
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Language courses
- Museums / galleries
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
Children are welcome and babysitting services, extra beds and cots are all available.
Family friendly accommodation:
Cots Available, Extra Beds Available
Babysitting is available by arrangement.
Baby cots are available on request.
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking