“Stunning private palace inspired by 14th century Moorish architecture and 21st century minimalism - spa, restaurant and magical grounds”
Set in 4 hectares of Persian-style gardens, with water and streams criss-crossing to symbolise the rivers of paradise, Ksar Char Bagh is close to heaven on earth. Luxurious suites more closely resemble apartments, plus there's a billiard room, a library, a cigar room, a huge vaulted marble hamman, a tennis court, a show-stopping pool, and an exceptionally discreet staff of 45 (including a talented French chef), who will move heaven and earth to arrange anything you want.
- Being just outside the city affords a lot more space, 5 acres to be exact, and the palm-lined pool is irresistible - we spent a whole afternoon lounging and swimming during out 2014 revisit
- Grand proportions, stunning architecture and the attention to detail is phenomenal. Every single object, piece of furniture and furnishing has been designed by the owners
- You're surrounded by the soothing sound of water and birdsong, creating an enchanting Arabian Nights atmosphere
- The spacious suites balance simplicity and sumptuousness, all have private outdoor space and some have pools
- To stay in this palace certainly doesn't come cheap. Only breakfast is included in the room price and the extras can really mount up
- This is where the rich and famous come to get away from it all, so don't expect a very social atmosphere. It's tranquil, private and very discreet
- Marrakech's city centre is a 15-minute drive away, but the hotel has its own air-conditioned cars to get you there
- A popular venue for groups and celebrations. Great, unless you're the only ones not in on the party - ask about other guests when booking
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Luxury Hotel
- 14 suites
- Restaurant (open daily)
- Over 8s welcome
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
- Tennis Court
- Snooker Table
- Petanque court
- Billiard room
The enormous suites are located off the central courtyard with its magnificent fountain. Each has a living area with a fireplace, a bedroom with a kingsize bed, a bathroom with a shower and a bath, a dressing room and a large private terrace or garden. Some also have private swimming pools. The high vaulted ceilings, marble floors and tadelakt walls in colours ranging from pale and burnished beige to soft yellow ochre make these suites feel cool, spacious and very private. The antique rugs, doors and artifices, the walk-in wardrobe, the hidden TV, DVD/CD player and minibar, the hand-made furnishings and drapes, the fresh flower arrangements (only fresh white and red roses are used) and the perfumed candles are just some of the details that make each room utterly enchanting.
In the large ensuite bathrooms, it is a true delight to lie in the sunken marble bath looking through the wooden shutters out over the gardens. Walk-in monsoon showers, rose petals, soft robes and hand-made toiletries are what one would expect of life in a palace.
There are 2 larger spaces: La Tour and the Apartment. They’re similar to the suites, but they have 2 living rooms each and their own private pools (as do 2 of the Large Harim Suites). Terraces have tents with traditional rugs and cushions from which to feast on the views of the palm grove, and La Tour has panoramic vistas to the distant Atlas Mountains.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- DVD player
- Extra beds
- Ipod dock
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
The French chef (who trained under Joel Robuchon, Alain Ducasse and Pierre Hermé) prepares a blend of traditional French and Moroccan cuisine, as well as specialities which are unique to Ksar Char Bagh and have a modern twist. Many of the fresh ingredients and herbs come straight from the vegetable garden and the hotel makes its own jams and olive oil.
Breakfast can be a private affair served in your suite or out on your private terrace or garden, or you can dine by the pool or in the light-filled restaurant area. Alternate French, English or Moroccan delights are served. Await to be surprised by French croissants with fruit preserves, English pastries with pear confit or Moroccan flat bread with marmalade, honey and clementines.
A 3-course fixed menu lunch is offered by the pool, in the dining room or anywhere else you should want. We were served confit of vegetables in ravioli, followed by roast monkfish with saffron and a cold pear soup with verbena sherbet. Simple snacks are also available throughout the day for those who don't fancy a full blown lunch and every Saturday the hotel prepares a Moroccan lunch at its farm using specialties made on-site.
Dinner is served in the restaurant overlooking the pool, or in-room if you prefer. The menu continues in the same vein as the lunch, light French dishes of elegant pastas, rich meat dishes and fresh fish. Alternatively, the hotel can arrange transfers into the city for authentic Moroccan cuisine - ask for restaurant recommendations.
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- Marrakech Medina is less than a 15-minute drive away, however, the main point of staying at Ksar Char Bagh is to just luxuriate in the tranquillity and utter luxuriousness of your surroundings
- Plunge into the huge swimming pool or soak in the private one of your room (if staying in the Apartment, La Tour or a Large Harim Suite with pool)...
- ...Otherwise, simply sleep, dream and relax on your beautiful private terrace or garden
- Experience a traditional hammam and a relaxing massage
- Have a tennis lesson on one of the courts nestled in the olive groves
- Have tea, traditional Moroccan biscuits and other specialties served out in The Ruin, romantically hidden at the back of the garden
- Go horse-riding or play golf at one of the 3 nearby golf courses (all within a 15 minute drive)
- Enjoy a game of billiards or petanque, and perhaps a cigar, at the end of a perfect day
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Museums / galleries
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
- Traditional cultures
Suitable for children aged over 8 years; this is a very luxurious and peaceful hideaway, as such we wouldn't recommend it for families.
Family friendly accommodation:
The Large Harim Suites, the Apartment and La Tour can all accommodate extra beds.
Ksar Char Bagh is in the Palmeraie (the palm-groved outskirts) of Marrakech. It is less than 10km from the city centre.
Marrakech Menara (14km away) is the closest airport and is served by several airlines. Click on the links below for a list.
From the Airport
Airport transfers are included in the rate, or you can take a taxi - the journey will take approximately 30 minutes.
By Train / Bus
Marrakech has good rail and bus connections to the rest of Morocco, including Casablanca and Agadir.
If you do want to hire a car (for your travels outside Marrakech) see our car rental recommendations.
The hotel has a fleet of air-conditioned cars which will chauffeur you around in style. Taxis to nearby restaurants and the Medina are also readily available.
Detailed directions will be provided when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Morocco and getting around
- Marrakech Menara 14.0 km RAK
- Beach 200.0 km
- Shops 6.0 km
- Restaurant 6.0 km