“A gorgeous estancia set within organic vineyards, offering great food, wine tours and wonderful walks”
Loll in a canopied daybed by the pool, stroll past white geese for a gourmet supper in the nearby octagonal lakeside restaurant, and then sink into a peaceful sleep on unbelievably comfortable pillows. We did, and awoke refreshed enough for a morning walk through the acres of farmland and vineyards owned by the Matetic family, who have been growing world-famous grapes here for a decade, unusual because they’re organic. Take a tour of the modern winery and taste how their biodynamic method of harvesting has produced some excellent wines, then wander back to the guesthouse for lunch and a bottle of their signature white, Sauvignon Blanc Coastal. Perfecto.
- Great food, married with wine from one of Chile's top producers, and included in the room rate
- The chance to tour the vineyards, learn about wine production from experts and taste the fruits of their labour
- The gardens, pool and lakeside restaurant are ideal for a bit of R&R
- You can also go horse-riding, cycling or hiking if you're feeling enegetic
- It’s a little isolated - there are no shops or other restaurants within walking distance
- Prices look high - but bear in mind that your stay includes meals, fine wines and a winery tour
- Expect lots of day trippers in the winery and its restaurant (which is sometimes used for hotel guests at lunchtime)
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Half-board (full-board available)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
Matetic's 10 rooms are set in a horseshoe-shaped estancia around a central courtyard filled with bright rhododendrons, leafy shrubs and towering palm trees. Built in the early 20th century, this was once a family home and its pink adobe walls and long columned walkways brim with colonial charm.
Each room is named after a type of wine - we stayed in Syrah. All have elegant sitting chairs and floors of beautifully polished wood. The feel is old-fashioned but not fusty - the op-art black and white tiles of the large ensuite bathrooms make sure of that. All have walk-in showers; the Suite also has a Jacuzzi bath.
Outside, each room has a pair of chairs on its stretch of terrace; we loved sitting here looking out over the vineyards and gardens, with a G&T from the honesty bar in the hotel's games room in hand (though when we visited this was missing ice and mixers and we had to ask staff to bring them).
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Internet access
- Safe box
For dinner, we enjoyed a tasty breaded shrimp and green salad, followed by a seafood risotto with crispy seaweed and reineta (similar to sea bass) with spicy Chilean mash. There are 4-5 options, including at least one meat (steaks are superb) and one vegetarian. To finish, we tucked into nut pie with a most unusual but tasty blue cheese ice-cream. Needless to say, the wines are outstanding and carefully paired.
Breakfast is a hearty buffet of fresh juice, homemade breads, hams and cheeses. You can also have eggs to order, and there’s a high-tech coffee-making machine for those who need a morning caffeine shot.
Lunch is sometimes served in the separate lakeside restaurant, Equilibrio, which has a great reputation locally; though you may coincide with a tour group.
- Organic produce
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- You're here to explore the world of wine so kick off with a free tour of Matetic's vineyards and winery. You'll learn about the principles of organic winemaking, bottling and storage, and can then taste some of the estate's creations - the Syrah, Pinot Noir, Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay are world-class
- If you visit during harvest season (February-May), you can help out with production or take a specialised tour of each stage of the process
- Go horse riding through the Rosario Valley to admire spectacular ravines and hilltop views
- Hike along the 'Huayan Trail'; there are a number of self-guided walks and your hosts will point you in the right direction
- Take a trip to the house of Pablo Neruda, a Chilean poet famous for his varied style, political manifestos and erotic love poems. He won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1971 and his house in Isla Negra is now a museum and tribute to his life's works
- Spend a day in Valparaíso, Chile's main port and a fabulous city set among vertiginous hills. Colourful houses dot the hillside and funicular railways crawl up the cobbled streets, offering fantastic views at the top. Close by, Viña del Mar is Chile's trendiest beach resort and well worth a visit
- Splash the cash and take to the skies on a scenic helicopter tour over the rolling vineyards and nearby coast
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Mountain biking
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
Children are welcome, and reduced rates are available for those staying in their own room. There are cots for under 2s and extra beds for those aged up to 11. Children ages 0-4 stay free of charge when sleeping in their parents bed. Older children will enjoy the pool and the activities on offer.
Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Cots Available, Extra Beds Available
Baby cots are available on request.
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
La Casona at Matetic Vineyards is located within the Rosario Valley and the wider San Antonio Valley of Chile. It's 1.5 hours by car from Santiago, and 50 minutes from Valparaíso and Viña del Mar.
Santiago Comodoro Arturo Merino Benítez International (120km away, also known as Pudahuel Airport) is the closest airport - click on the links below for a list of airlines serving it.
From the Airport:
We'd recommend hiring a car (see below), as this will allow you to take day trips while you're here. Alternatively you can take a taxi - see Rates.
For car hire, see our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Chile and getting around
- Santiago Comodoro Arturo Merino Benítez International 120.0 km SCL
- Beach 60.0 km
- Shops 80.0 km
- Restaurant 30.0 km