“Hidden in the hills, this affordable plantation house hotel and cottages offer an insight into the real St Lucia”
If you manage to drag yourself away from the refreshing pools (there are 2, including a stunning infinity pool at the owners' villa) and from the hypnotic views (of the iconic Pitons), you can ask for a guided tour of the estate and learn how tropical fruits are grown, or help feed the baby goats.
Family-owned and managed by St Lucian-Canadians, this is a relaxed, informal place, where you can pot a few snooker balls, play the old piano and unwind in beautiful surroundings. It's a must for nature-lovers, whether couples, families or a group of friends: you can book an individual room, a cottage, or the whole hotel.
- The spectacular views take in the Pitons, the fishing town of Soufriere and the Caribbean Sea
- The atmosphere is unpretentious, relaxed and homely
- There’s a wide choice of rooms and cottages, all with kitchenettes
- It’s excellent value for money (by Caribbean standards)
- The cool breeze blowing through the windchimes makes a welcome change from the baking heat of the beaches
- Ripe fruit on the trees is yours to pick
- Rooms are old-fashioned plantation style and the distribution of mod cons is sporadic: no phones, only 9 rooms have a/c and WiFi is patchy
- Solar heating and low pressure mean the hot water can be limited at times
- Things don’t always run to time, so be prepared to shrug and relax about it
- The Premium Vista Rooms and 2-Bedroom Cottage are set away from the pool and bar (200-400 yards)
- This is not a place for those seeking hectic nightlife or beachside rooms
- The restaurant is only open for breakfast and lunch, you'll have to dine out for dinner
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 12 rooms + 2 cottages
- Restaurant and bar (restaurants a short drive away)
- Under 2s/over 5s welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Snooker Table
Six of the hotel's bedrooms are situated in the main plantation house. Constructed of wood and painted brilliant white, its corrugated tin roof (typical of Caribbean houses) is vibrant blue. The first-floor Superior Deluxe Rooms are large and comfortable with dark wooden floors, high ceilings, white-washed walls and ceiling fans. The ground-floor Superior Garden Rooms have red clay-tiled floors and air-conditioning. All have lace-draped French doors opening onto a veranda with views to the ocean and the volcanic peaks of the Pitons.
Kingsize beds (most of which can be converted into twins) with good mattresses and mosquito nets ensure a sound night's sleep. Antique white rattan furniture, tea-making facilities and a bulging fruit basket make things homely and each room has a small kitchenette (with fridge, kettle and toaster) and a spacious ensuite bathroom with a mosaic-tiled shower and soft white towels.
Two separate buildings house the newer Premium Vista Rooms (200 yards away) and the Fond Cannes Apartments (400 yards off the property, suitable for guests with their own vehicle). The former have clay-tiled floors, calm cream-white colourings and French windows, as well as linked balconies with hammocks and picture-perfect views of the Pitons. The latter also have excellent views, and can interconnect making them a great option for families or groups.
If you’re coming en famille you have several choices. There’s a 1-Bedroom cottage, which has a small bedroom, bathroom and a veranda upstairs, and a kitchen/living room and space for extra beds downstairs. Or the 2-Bedroom Cottage in the owners’ garden. This has 2 connecting bedrooms (1 kingsize bed, 1 twin beds), 2 ensuite bathrooms and a big balcony. Both have hammocks for lazing away the day.
- Coffee / tea making
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Mosquito net
Pastel pink fencing blends with a profusion of orange and pink bougainvillea to set the scene for the resort’s charming hilltop Delice Restaurant, which currently offers breakfast and lunch only.
Seafood chowder, conch in Creole sauce, fishcakes with garlic mayonnaise and spinach lasagne are some of the specialities, with freshly caught fish (usually mahi-mahi or tuna) whenever possible. All dishes are accompanied by locally grown fruits and vegetables, ensuring that it not only tastes divine but is good for you too. Special dietary requests can be catered for, with notice.
The full cooked breakfasts are accompanied by a rich assortment of fresh fruit, juices and home-baked bread and muffins.
For dinner, there are plenty of places to eat out in and around Soufriere, a short taxi ride away.
- Coffee / tea making
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- Visit Soufriere to explore its colourful street markets and the lovely botanical gardens on the Soufriere Estate, complete with mineral baths
- Take in the sulphur fumaroles of St Lucia’s volcano, dubbed the Caribbean's only "drive-in" volcano. You don’t actually drive in, but take your car to within a few hundred feet before following a guide to the edge of the steaming crater
- Walk to one of the many photogenic waterfalls, including the Diamond, Piton, Enbas Saut and Toraille falls
- Hike in the rainforests; the adventurous can climb up the Pitons, though bear in mind you'll need a guide for the Petit Piton
- Head to the beach. The nearest is at the Hummingbird Resort in Soufriere (1.5 miles away) but most guests opt to use the facilities of either the Jalouise Hilton or the Anse Chastanet (15-30 minutes away), which have a monopoly on decent beaches in the area. Both charge a day rate for using loungers and towels, although you can lie for free on the sand
- Try snorkelling and diving in clear, warm waters - Anse Chastanet is the top spot on the island and has been ranked by the Sunday Times as one of the 10 best places to dive in the world
- Sailing, deep-sea fishing, horse riding, sea kayaking and island tours can also be arranged (ask staff for details)
- Lounge around at the hotel while taking in the magnificent vistas: the gardens and pools are great for sunbathing, relaxing and reading
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Horse riding
- Plantation tours
- Plantlife / flora
- Private guided tours
- Scuba diving
- Shopping / markets
Children are very welcome and will enjoy meeting the resident calves and baby goats, but the hotel surrounds could be dangerous for toddlers. Babysitting can be arranged and cots are available on request.
Babies (0-1 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Under 12s stay for free when sharing a room with an adult and all rooms are spacious enough for an extra single bed or baby cot. The 2-Bedroom Cottage would be ideal for families.
Babysitting is available by arrangement.
Baby cots are available on request.
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
- Airport: 1hr 15mins
La Haut is situated high on a hill, 1.5 miles above the town of Soufriere, on St Lucia's west coast road.
Hewanorra International (32km away) is the nearest airport. The island's other airport, George F L Charles (formerly known as Vigie), is near Castries in the north and has inter-island flights only.
From the Airport
It takes around 1 hour 15 minutes to drive from Hewanorra International and 1.5 hours from George F L Charles. The hotel can arrange airport transfers, but a hire car is highly recommended as La Haut is fairly secluded and is a pricey taxi journey from Soufriere.
For car hire, see our car rental recommendations. You will need to obtain a temporary St Lucia driver’s licence purchased from the Immigration Office upon arrival at the airport or at the car-rental kiosks when you pick up your car. In addition you have to be over 25 years old and show a valid driver’s licence from home.
You'll need a car if you want to explore further afield. Taxis in St Lucia can be very expensive.
Detailed directions will be sent once your booking is confirmed.
More on getting to St Lucia and getting around.
- Hewanorra International 32.0 km UVF
- George F L Charles (Vigie) 40.0 km SLU
- Beach 1.0 km
- Shops 1.0 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km