“Friendly and well-priced townhouse hotel with all-day dining in Belgravia; walk to restaurants, shopping and sights”
The hotel has been family-run with flair and care for the last 30 years, as all who stay here testify. You're warmly welcomed, the interiors showcase understated chic, and the traditional breakfasts are hearty. There are 28 rooms, spread across all 4 floors, and while none are the same in terms of layout and size, all share a restful elegance and have contemporary bathrooms. There's also a guest lounge, an all-day casual dining restaurant, and good-sized walled garden to retreat to in the warmer months. The neighbourhood is largely residential with a village feel, and you're in a sweet spot for accessing eateries, transport, shopping and sights. A real gem.
Information provided by Lime Tree Hotel on 11/08/2020.
We plan to re-open the Lime Tree on Thursday 20 August.
Cleaning and hygiene
Housekeeping following enhanced cleaning regimes in guest bedrooms and bathrooms, and regularly cleaning and disinfecting high-touch points in the public areas, such as door knobs, push plates, light switches and all surfaces in toilets. Cleaning systems will meet or exceed what is required by local government rules.
Usual daily housekeeping tasks in guest rooms not carried out during your stay, unless requested. Plenty of fresh towels, toiletries and other essentials will be readily available.
Kitchen team will continue strict cleaning regimes as well as observing social distancing and / or wearing PPE appropriate for the situation.
We will be following the prevailing government rules on social distancing and space our furniture (and ourselves) accordingly. Signage throughout the hotel reminds guests to maintain safe distancing while moving around the building.
Food and drink
As ‘normal’ a breakfast experience as possible offered in The Buttery, albeit with some changes. Latest rules on distancing between tables both inside and in the garden implemented and guests encouraged to eat in the garden where possible (weather permitting). Staggered breakfast times may be implemented to ensure all guests can have an enjoyable and safe breakfast. Please note no breakfast offered in guest bedrooms.
Reduced our cancellation notice period to just 48 hours until the end of October. To avoid handling cash or cards payment card provided charged at time of booking on the day of arrival and receipt will be emailed.
Contactless check-in procedure in place. On arrival guests will find a welcome pack waiting, which will contain the (sanitised) room key, a registration form and useful information such as our local restaurant guide. There will of course always be someone available at reception. Guests will be called or emailed 48 hours prior to arrival and asked to complete a simple ‘health check’, to confirm not suffering from Covid symptoms.
- Well priced for SW1
- A lovely welcoming vibe; you feel right at home from the get go
- The central location: you're 7 mins' walk from Victoria's rail and coach stations, and 5 mins from Sloane Square
- Lime Tree is immaculately kept and Matthew and his hospitable team provide excellent concierge services
- Single, twin and triple rooms available, as well as as doubles
- The hotel is closed from 1 December 2019 until 1 June 2020 while refurbishment work takes place (we are loving the results so far)
- No kids under 5
- A 3-night minimum stay May-October
- Smaller rooms are definitely compact (cosy!) and there's no lift
- You're in central London so may experience some street noise; that said, the area is pretty quiet at night
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique B&B
- In-house cafe with all-day dining; restaurants nearby
- Over 5s only
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
As befits a building standing for over 2 centuries, which was conjoined from 2 different townhouses over 100 years ago, rooms are all individual in layout and size. Yet each share an understated serenity and a restful decorative scheme; all is spotless, everything works. Blankets and blinds are of good quality wools and tweeds in classic blues and herringbones, the linen is pure cotton, and each room has a Roberts radio and small desk. You may find a beautifully upholstered comfy armchair or headboard, or perhaps feature wallpaper and an original fireplace. Smallest rooms have pegs and hangers rather than a wardrobe. Metro-tiled bathrooms have wooden floors (hoorah!), good showers and Gilchrist & Soames toiletries.
As a general rule, smallest rooms are on the top floor (where the servants would have slept), and larger options are on the ground and 1st floors. Some have a street-facing view, others overlook the garden, and, pleasingly, Lime Tree also offers single and triple rooms.
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Safe box
The welcoming The Buttery is the hotel's in-house posh cafe open daily. Breakfast is a hearty affair. Choose as much as you fancy from a simple menu of fresh berries and yoghurt, warm pastries and bread, porridge or a full cooked English. There are gluten-free and vegetarian alternatives, too. Beverages include loose leaf teas, hot chocolate, proper artisan coffee and fresh juices.
For lunch or for food after sightseeing, enjoy light meals and home-made cakes, savoury snacks and open sandwiches and salads from the all-day menu.
The front desk are only too happy to suggest nearby eateries for dinner - both Pimlico and Belgravia provide plenty of choice. And having sampled the cupcakes as your gift for booking through i-escape, you'll no doubt want to pop into the Peggy Porschen Parlour opposite the hotel, for more of those sublime cupcakes, plus layer cakes and sugared confections.
- Coffee / tea making
- Lunch by arrangement
- Restaurants nearby
- Walk the South Bank for the National Theatre, the Festival Hall and the Hayward Gallery; carry on for Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, the IMAX cinema and Tate Modern. Cross the Millennium Bridge to find the Barbican Centre for theatre, art and world-class music
- Westminster (20 minutes' walk) has its iconic Gothic Abbey, the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben; walk up Whitehall to Trafalgar Square, the National Gallery and the theatres of the West End
- Take a Thames river cruise from Westminster Bridge to Tower Bridge and the Tower of London
- For retail therapy, both speciality outlets and independent boutiques (such as those in Ecclestone Yards) are nearby; famous Knightsbridge department stores Harrods and Harvey Nichols are a 15-minute walk away
- Of the Museums in South Kensington, we'd suggest you avoid the ever-packed Natural History Museum, and try the Victoria & Albert next door. The British Museum in Bloomsbury is unrivalled
- Stroll in the Royal Parks: St James' and Green Park are nearest, home to Buckingham Palace
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
Children aged 5+ are welcome but there is little at the hotel for kids; the guests are predominantly couples and the ambiance is tranquil. No baby cots or extra beds can be provided, and there are no interconnecting rooms. However, there is a lovely garden to the rear and London excels in offering activities and entertainment for all ages.
Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
There are Triple rooms which would suit a family of 3. A family of 4 would need to book 2 rooms.
Families Should Know:
The stairs are steep and there's no lift
- Airport: 1 hours' drive (LHR)
- Shops: all around
Lime Tree Hotel is in South Belgravia, in central London, close to Victoria's coach, mainline and underground stations.
Most scheduled airlines fly into London Heathrow (25km) or London Gatwick (48km). London Stansted and London Luton are also well serviced. Lime Tree Hotel can arrange a transfer or you could take a taxi from all airports, but it'd be expensive and London has excellent public transport links from all airports (see below).
Lime Tree Hotel is a 7-minute walk from Victoria rail and underground station (served by Victoria, District and Circle tube lines). International Eurostar trains arrive at St Pancras station, an easy tube ride on the Victoria line from Victoria station. It is a similar distance to Sloane Square tube station (District and Circle tube lines).
Coach services arrive at Victoria station, just a 7-minute walk from the hotel. These are often much cheaper - but can be slower - than the train.
There's no need to drive in London as public transport is excellent plus ancillary costs such as parking mount up. However, car hire is of course possible. Note that London has a daily congestion charge Monday to Friday.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- London Heathrow 25.0 km LHR
- London Gatwick 48.0 km LGW
- Beach 90.0 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km