A beautiful, bijou, British-run B&B in a tranquil village a couple of miles from the coast”
Narrow lanes wriggle down from the village church to a whitewashed cottage with blue shutters and rampant pink bougainvillea, looking over terraced fields and olive groves. Once through the English-country-style sitting room, you emerge onto an idyllic patio garden shaded by ornamental palms and pepper trees, with low cushioned sofas and coloured-bead chandeliers, where Elsa welcomes you with a slice of her delicious carrot cake. This is where you'll spend most of your day, flitting languidly between the small but sunny pool, the various rocking chairs and hammocks, and your simple but cosy bedroom. If you get itchy feet, the fish restaurants of Zygi and the wind-sculpted coves of Governor's Beach are a few miles away; the bright lights of Limassol and Larnaca a half-hour drive.
- We loved the decorative touches - mirrors framed with driftwood, giant candles flickering at dusk, smooth beach pebbles around every potted plant - all testament to the TLC lavished by Elsa on her home (and her guests!)
- Couples will love the tranquil ambiance and superbly discreet service
- But great for families too: book both rooms (one double, one twin) and you'll have the pool and terrace to yourself - though of course Elsa and Clive live here too
- We appreciated the shared kitchenette, with free hot drinks and fridge, plus games and books to borrow
- Maroni is a charming village, just 7 minutes from the A1 motorway and 5 minutes from the coast
- Both bedrooms are quite small and homely - don't expect hotel trimmings - but they're comfortable and quiet (even the cockerel does not crow until after 9am, we're told)
- The lane from the village to the house is pull-your-mirrors-in narrow
- There's only one restaurant within walking distance; for more choice you'll need to drive to Zygi (2km) - and you'll need a car to reach the beaches too
- With just 2 bedrooms, it may be too intimate for some
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique B&B
- 2 bedrooms
- Breakfast only (restaurant nearby)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Pool towels
There are only 2 rooms - one double and one twin - so you won't be bewildered by choice. In fact, you'll be lucky if either is available, given how popular it is. Both have white walls, stone floors, pretty bedside lamps, a few framed prints, ceiling fan and A/C, an ensuite shower room and French windows onto their own shady terrace. From there it's just a few steps to the pool terrace, so there's not a huge amount of privacy; but there are plenty of shady spots to relax with a book.
The double room is the smaller of the two, its antique iron half-tester bed (1.5m / 5' wide) lending a more traditional feel, echoed in an old paraffin lamp and pretty floral tiles above the washbasin. The other room is slightly larger but sparer in its decor, with white-painted ceiling beams. Its twin beds can also be made up as a wider double bed, which in our mind makes this room preferable for a couple.
Get in early and you could book them both - a perfect set-up for a family of 4 (see Kids for more info). Between the two rooms is a small utility room - see Essentials.
- Air conditioning
- Alarm clock
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Extra beds
- Pool towels
- Shared kitchen / laundry room
Elsa serves what by all accounts is one of the most delicious homemade breakfasts imaginable (sadly we didn't get to try it on our brief visit). Expect freshly cut fruit salad, local yoghurt and honey, good crunchy muesli, homemade jams on tasty brown bread - and, if that's not enough, cooked options as well. Sitting under the palm tree as the sun warms the patio tiles, it's a perfect start to another lazy day.
For dinner, head out to one of the local restaurants. Within walking distance, in Maroni's old school yard, is a simple taverna serving authentic Cypriot fare; a little further is Limonokipos, whose Thursday kleftiko (oven-baked lamb) is legendary. On the seafront at Zygi (2km) you'll find a wide array of fish taverns, some more touristy than others; and there are more options in Psematismenos (2km) and Tochni (6km). In any case, you can be sure that Elsa will point you in the right direction.
- Restaurants nearby
- Shared kitchenette
- If you can rouse yourself from the shady pool terrace, the coast is only a mile away; there are some uncrowded but not spectacular beaches, including Maroni's own (sunbeds and snack bar; 2km); the wind-sculpted coves at Governor's Beach (5km); the or the sandy, shallow sickle near Alaminos (8km; turn right after Hotel Aldiana, signed "Secret Paradise")
- A little further afield (20 mins' drive), Mazotos Camel Park makes a good family outing: after a lurching 15-minute ride, there's a pool and play area, or drive to the sandy beach near Akroyiali fish restaurant (no parasols or amenities)
- Heading inland, the much-visited town of Lefkara is famous for its lace and its silverwork; its quieter neighbour of Kato Drys is, by all accounts, a more charming discovery
- The cities of Limassol and Larnaca are both 20 mins' drive along the motorway, the former boasting a medieval castle, modern marina and Miami-esque tourist strip, the latter a palm-shaded sea promenade and a remarkable 9th-century Byzantine cathedral
- Beyond Larnaca are the white sands and crazy nightlife of Ayia Napa; beyond Limassol, the lovely beach of Pissouri
- Heading inland, it's less than an hour to the Troodos Mountains, for scenic hikes or mountain-bike rides through pine forests to waterfalls and monasteries
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Mountain biking
- Traditional cultures
This is a great spot for children of all ages, with a friendly, homely atmosphere and a useful little kitchenette for guests' use. You're safe, quiet, a 2 minute drive to sandy beaches, and close to a charming Camel Park and equidistant to the whole of the Island for exploring.
Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Take both rooms for a family of 4 (1 double, 1 twin), and then you don't have to worry about disturbing other guests either (though, of course, it is Clive and Elsa's home too). Or, for a couple with 1 young child, you can squeeze an extra child's bed or cot into the twin room (free of charge).
Kids Activities on site:
There are games and DVDs for you to borrow, and a TV on the terrace for alfresco viewing (plus TV/DVD players in both bedrooms).
Kids Activities nearby:
- Mazotos Camel Park - camel rides, pool, play area, nice beach nearby
- Santa Marina Retreat, Parekklisia - archery, sky trail, horse rides, climbing, golf
- Fassouri Watermania, near Limassol - kamikaze slides, wave pools etc
- Paliasto Amusement Park, Ayia Napa - bumper cars, carousels, ghost trains etc
Families Should Know:
Parents of toddlers should be aware that the pool is not fenced off at all.
- Airport: 30km (Larnaca)
- Shop: 5 minutes' walk
Little Lodge is in the small village of Maroni, midway between Larnaca (Larnaka) and Limassol (Lemessos) near the south coast of Cyprus.
Larnaca and Paphos (Pafos) have scheduled and charter flights from UK and Europe. Larnaca is nearer and has a slightly wider range of flights. Click on the links below for a list of airlines serving these airports.
From the Airport
You can take a taxi or hire a car (recommended) - see our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Cyprus and getting around
- Larnaca 30.0 km LCA
- Paphos 80.0 km PFO
- Beach 2.0 km
- Shops 0.2 km
- Restaurant 0.2 km