“Surrounded by rolling national park, close to the west Tuscan coast, a luxurious yet relaxed conversion of a historic farmhouse”
Most rooms have a private roof terrace or garden, so guests have a real sense of privacy, tranquility and space. With 2 outdoor pools, an on-site spa, a play area for children, and an indoor pool and gym, this place has appeal for both couples and families. The restaurant cooks up delicious farm-to-table dishes, and has an upmarket, romantic feel, while the stylish wine bar serves refreshments day and night. Service is notably warm and professional, and there’s so much to explore in the surrounding area - that's if you can tear yourself away from lazing by the pool...
- You're in the beautiful Tuscan Maremma, close to splendid beaches and the medieval village of Capalbio
- Helpful and welcoming multilingual staff, particularly the vivacious manager, Barbara
- Great for families: there's a second pool and a play area to keep kids busy
- Lots of local activities and places to visit, from island-hopping to a park of mosaic sculptures
- The restaurant’s flame-grilled Florentine steak was incredibly delicious (and huge!)
- The Standard rooms are small and, although comfortable, don’t have a wow factor - we recommend upgrading if you can
- A steep entry fee for the spa - although i-escape guests will receive a free 'Spa Path' as a thank you for booking through us
- Prices for extras, such as drinks, are on the high side
- You'll need a car to get here, to explore the region, and to reach other restaurants
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 34 rooms + 4 villas for 2-6
- Restaurant and bar (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
- Bicycles Available
Serene, chic and comfortable, Locanda Rossa’s rooms are individually decorated in earthy colours, with modern bathrooms and comfy beds wrapped in crisp white linens. The owner’s collection of contemporary art decorates the walls: modern paintings, pencil-line drawings, old maps and quirky photographs. Most ground-floor rooms have private patches of garden shielded by tall hedges; some upstairs rooms have terraces.
Standard rooms and Classic Rooms are a little on the small side, though fine for a night or 2; if you're staying for longer, Superior rooms are worth the extra cost for the additional space they offer. For a splurge, opt for a Junior Suite, some of which come with gardens, others with kitchenettes. The Suites each have a separate sitting room with 2 sofas, which can be made up as single beds. These larger rooms are better suited to extra guests, though the smaller ones can take extra baby cots.
There are also 4 3-bedroom villas, each with a living room, a kitchen-diner and a private garden. Great for families.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Internet access
- Mosquito net
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
- Some have a private terrace or garden
Breakfast (not included in the villa rates) is served in the bright and airy restaurant. Choose from a selection of tasty homemade cakes, pastries, fresh fruit and smoothies. There are also cold meats and cheeses on offer, as well as bacon and eggs cooked any which way.
Lunch and dinner are served here, too, or alfresco on the large restaurant terrace. Much of the produce is local, with the house olive oil and various fruit and vegetables (courgettes, tomatoes, aubergines, melon and so on) grown on the property. There are also 50 bee hives, so they produce their own honey. Dishes might include wild boar pasta or roasted piglet; the prawn and clam spaghetti was our favourite followed by the mouth-watering trio of sharp citrus desserts – so good that we ordered it twice during our stay! There’s a kids’ menu, too.
Alternatively, if you feel like eating out, there are excellent restaurants in nearby Capalbio. Staff can recommend. There are also grocery shops here; the villas each have a full kitchen with a hob, oven, microwave, fridge/freezer, dishwasher and barbecue.
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- Read in the shady gardens, soak up the sun by the gorgeous pool or learn how to make pasta at one of the hotel's cooking classes
- Chill out in the spa (which can be booked exclusively on request). There's a hammam, Turkish bath, thermal pool, sensory shower and sauna, all of which can be experienced on a 'Spa Path', which is complimentary to i-escape guests. There's also an enticing range of treatments
- Visit the medieval villages of Capalbio, Pitigliano and Sorano, or head to local beaches, where you'll find a choice of beach clubs (10km)
- The nearby nature reserve of Lake Burano offers fantastic birdwatching: herons, wild geese, nightingales, great reed warblers, marsh harriers, ospreys, gannet, lapwings and golden plovers. Bring your binoculars
- Hire a bike from the Locanda to explore the surrounding countryside, or sign up for a horse-riding trip that ends with a picnic barbecue
- Visit local vineyards for wine tasting
- Explore Il Giardino dei Tarocchi ('Garden of Tarots'), filled with lush greenery and Gaudí-esque mosaic sculptures
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Mountain biking
- Scuba diving
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
This is a great choice for families, the kind of place where you can enjoy luxury even though you're travelling with kids. The friendly team give children a warm welcome, plus there’s plenty of space thanks to private gardens and terraces, so you can relax knowing your children aren’t impinging on other people’s fun. The villas are particularly suited to families, but tend to get booked up early. Nearby, there are lots of places to visit to keep all ages entertained.
Babies (0-1 years), Toddlers (1-4 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Some Junior Suites have single sofabeds or space for rollaway beds or baby cots, while the Suites have 2 single sofabeds. Most bathrooms are shower only. For families with older children, the 4 villas are best; suited to groups of 2 to 6, they each have 2 double rooms, 1 twin/double room, 3 bathrooms (1 with a tub) and a lounge, kitchen and dining area.
Available on request
- Baby cots
- High chairs
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
There's a kids’ menu in the restaurant, though if there’s something specific they fancy, the chefs will try their best to oblige.
Kids Activities on site:
- Children's playground with goal posts amd a trampoline
- Family pool
- Books and games
- Table tennis
- Bikes to hire
Kids Activities nearby:
- Beaches (10km away)
- Horse riding (reception can help organise on request)
Families Should Know:
The pools aren't fenced
- Airport: 118km (Rome)
- Shops, including a pharmacy: 3.5km
- Hospital: 25 minutes' drive (Orbetello)
Locanda Rossa is set in the hills of the Tuscan Maremma, a lovely, protected, coastal area. It's just 3.5km from the medieval village of Capalbio.
Rome Fiumicino is the closest airport (118km), or you can fly into Rome Ciampino. Pisa is also an easy drive away, and a major hub.
From the Airport
Most guests hire a car. You could take a taxi but one of the joys of being here is exploring the region, for which you'll need transport. The hotel does not offer airport transfers.
If you want to hire a car, see our car rental recommendations. You can park for free at the hotel.
If you'd prefer to travel overland from the UK, you can reach Tuscany quite easily from London, and from elsewhere in Italy. See the excellent Seat 61 for details. The closest station to the hotel is Capalbio Scalo, and from here you can take a taxi (4km).
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Rome Fiumicino 118.0 km FCO
- Pisa 220.0 km PSA
- Beach 6.5 km
- Shops 3.5 km
- Restaurant 3.5 km