“A wonderful introduction to the rainforest in this comfortable lodge on a biodynamic farm, within easy reach of Arenal Volcano”
But this is no ordinary lodge. A biodynamic farm growing organic foods, Luna Nueva also protects large tracts of primary rainforest and a vast garden of medicinal plants in a remarkable conservation project. Part of its aim is for guests to learn about the importance of this fragile ecosystem and to enjoy the natural richness of this beautiful place. You're welcomed in comfortable bungalows for families or couples, or in double rooms in 2 main houses: all with spectacular views. Luna Nueva attracts top level biologists, doctors interested in alternative therapies, yoga and meditation types, and any visitor interested in a pure rainforest experience. It's a unique, unforgettable place: you’ll never look at the natural world the same way again.
- Gorgeous setting amid beautiful gardens and spectacular rainforest. Arenal Volcano is just 10 miles away - handy for day trips
- Spring-water swimming pool, and solar-heated hot tub for romantic dips at night
- Delicious organic food, 90% of it produced on the finca
- Ideal for families: kids will really fall in love with this place
- Owner Steven Farrell will open your eyes to the rainforest's full wonder - the magic ways of the flora and fauna
- Very good value
- Accommodation is simple rather than luxurious, but definitely the most comfortable of Costa Rica’s rustic rainforest lodges
- Don’t expect to be waited on as in a hotel, but if you’re happy to make yourself at home you’ll have a great time here
- No phone or TV, but there's WiFi in the main lodge (if you bring your own laptop) or you can borrow their computer, through which you can make calls using a phonecard purchased in any town in Costa Rica
- If you want to get out and about to explore on your own, or have a meal in town, transfers or taxis can be expensive
NB there are no travel cots!
- High chair
- Bottle warming
Some equipment may need to be requested in advance
There's no specific babysitting service, but if you want to go for a jungle trek, the staff are happy to look after babies or youngsters for a short while
You're 25km from the closest town so you will be eating here for the vast majority of your meals. Children can order half portions if a full sized one is too much
- Springwater swimming pool
- Hot tub
- Farm and animals, with free tours
- Games room with ping pong, fussball, Jenga, cards and Monopoly
- Rainforest treks
- Arenal volcano (10km)
- Birdwatching, animal sanctuaries, zip wires, and plenty more on offer nearby
- Jungle Lodge
- Breakfast (+ other meals on request)
- Over 2s welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Creche / Kids Club
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
Accommodation here is very flexible. Choose from a separate bungalow, an earthbag house or a double or triple room in one of 2 main houses, Casa Luna or Casa Sombra.
Casa Luna is a large, open, 2-storey house, which sits in a marvellous elevated position, with a wraparound balcony on its first floor. Here there are 4 double or triple guest rooms: each has a ceiling fan, screened windows, a comfortable firm double and single bed with simple white linen, and a bedside reading light. Floors are polished (recycled) wood, and the ceiling is high vaulted wood. Each room opens on to the wide wraparound balcony, with chairs and hammocks so you can enjoy the splendid views over the forest. There’s also a huge sitting area downstairs, with comfortable sofas where guests can read and relax, and help themselves to a beer or juice in the evenings.
Private bathrooms are simple with a shower only, but there’s abundant hot water, and simple, biodegradable toiletries are provided, along with lovely handmade soap. Your towels will be sculpted into incredible shapes and adorned with flowers on the bed (a Costa Rican tradition), but apart from that, rooms are simple and undecorated.
There are 3 more double rooms in Casa Sombra, and these all have air conditioning in addition to the standard comforts above - and are slightly more expensive. You might prefer to be in the main eating and gathering area of Casa Luna, but you do get views of the volcano from Casa Sombra.
There are also several individual bungalows with queensize beds, and larger family cabins, with 2 bedrooms, scattered throughout the pretty gardens at the centre of the 200 acre estate. Or Casa de Barro, an adobe earthbag house made from the deep red clay found on the farm. These are ideal for single travellers or couples who want more privacy, or families who’d like to spread out. You really could base yourself here for several days, and have a blissful holiday exploring the rainforest, the farm, and nearby Arenal.
- Air conditioning
- Coffee / tea making
- Extra beds
Finca Luna Nueva grows organic and biodynamic food of the highest standard on its 200 acre farm, and you can be assured of fabulous fresh food while you’re here: home reared pork and chicken, delicious fruit, superb homemade yoghurt, sustainably farmed turmeric and ginger. Owner Steven Farrell is passionate about providing guests with the best nature has to offer.
On his tour of the rainforest and farm, you’ll understand exactly how important biodiversity is to your health, as well as that of the planet. No surprise, then, that he’s keeping the worst manufactured gunk off the premises. You won’t find any bottles of coke here: your children will enjoy naturally sweet, freshly squeezed juices.
In fact, almost nothing is brought in - plastic and bottles would have to be driven miles to be recycled, for a start. Instead, all your meals will be carefully prepared by the resident cooks: lots of Costa Rican staples like yellow rice and black beans, homemade tortillas, fried plantain and local cheese, along with more European dishes such as spicy chicken and grilled fish in delicate sauces. There’s always masses to eat, and fabulous green salads are provided along with the main dishes, fragrant with herbs, and served with a choice of really excellent dressings.
Meals are served as a buffet for guests to help themselves, and eaten on the elevated ground floor of the main house, Casa Luna. This brings guests together to meet and chat, and you inevitably make friends. There are comfortable sofas for lounging on afterwards, and gazing out at the view.
Breakfast is the only meal included in the tariff, and is a great start to the day: fresh papaya and pineapple, generous Costa Rican coffee and tea supplies, fresh juices, scrambled egg and Costa Rican gallo pinto.
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- Organic produce
- Vegetarian menu
- Explore the rainforest with Steven Farrell or one of his carefully trained bilingual guides. This walk, although short, will give you a spectacular insight into the forest, the amazing birds and butterflies, the sloths, monkeys and other wild animals, but you’ll also sample wild fruits, learn about how ants are the heroes of the forest, and understand how life goes on at a microbial level: absolutely fascinating
- Learn how organic, biodynamic food farming works: Steven will take you around his turmeric and ginger fields, where all kinds of other herbs and vegetables are grown too. Meet the pigs, goats and chickens, and try all kinds of delicious fruits growing on trees: another life-changing tour
- Visit the Sacred Seeds project in Luna Nueva’s kitchen garden: hundreds of species of medicinal plants are being grown to preserve the genetic material for future generations, along with the ancestral knowledge of how to use these plants for healing
- Visit Arenal Volcano - just 10 miles away, along a pretty route - plus the hot springs at the base. It's more relaxing than staying in the volcano area itself, and Steven can arrange a transfer if you don’t bring a hire car
- Swim in the pool - it’s all natural - or lounge in the hot tub, which is solar heated; or you can lie in your hammock and watch birds - a telescope is available as well as bird books to help you identify those amazingly colourful species, from toucans to hummingbirds
- Luna Spa & Wellness Center has a range of treatments and therapies on offer, such as low-light laser therapy, acupuncture and Reiki. Massages are available on the lovely open-sided balcony (with advance notice), and there's a yoga platform
- Walk up to the top of the observation platform next to Casa Luna and gaze out over the forest: you’ll often see sloths, monkeys, and all kinds of birds. And there are seats if you just want to sit and relax or meditate here
- There's a wealth more to do in and around Arenal and Monteverde, including rafting, ziplines and canyoning (or canyoneering as it's called here)
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Cooking classes
- Plantlife / flora
- Traditional cultures
- Well being
Best Time to go
Our Top Tips
Finca Luna Nueva Lodge is between San Ramon and La Fortuna, just over 2 hours from San José and 40 minutes from Arenal Volcano.
Arenal/La Fortuna (45km) is served by domestic flights from San José Juan Santamaria International (90km) which is also the main airport for international flights, though seasonal charter flights from North America and Europe arrive into Liberia (180km). Click on the links below for a list of airlines serving these airports.
From the Airport
Finca Luna Nueva Lodge can arrange a transfer from either airport. Alternatively, take the bus, and they will collect you from the nearest bus stop.
You might want the freedom of a hire car for exploring the Arenal area, in which case we recommend a 4-wheel drive - see our car rental recommendations. If you're not planning to stray far from the Lodge you could consider coming by public transport or bus, and then taking a transfer to Arenal. It will save you money, and you can completely relax.
Detailed directions will be provided when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Costa Rica and getting around
- Arenal/La Fortuna 45.0 km FON
- San José Juan Santamaría International 90.0 km SJO
- Beach 80.0 km
- Shops 20.0 km
- Restaurant 10.0 km