Smiling butlers serve chilled freshly pressed juices and fusion meals on a pretty veranda overlooking the sun-kissed pool. Indoors you’ll find an air-conditioned cigar room, an open-plan hallway/lounge and a formal dining table for 16. The hotel is a delightful first or last stop on a busy touring itinerary, and just a few minutes from shops, art galleries, cafés and restaurants. Couples and small groups curious about Colombo will find this an inner-city oasis.
- The extremely welcoming staff are experts in making you feel at home
- We loved the carefully curated details – photographs, prints, claw-footed bathtubs, heritage antiques, parquet floors
- The food is delicious, with plenty of light, healthy options
- A real inner-city sanctuary – the perfect respite from buzzy Colombo
- All 7 rooms are stylish and luxurious, and a couple have hidden courtyards for additional privacy
- Despite being set back from the main road, you're in the city centre so daytime traffic noise and sirens are inevitable
- You might hear your fellow guests dining on the veranda if you’re staying in a ground-floor room and opt to sleep early
- No air conditioning in the spa treatment room
- The pool is small, though adequate
- No children under 7
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 7 rooms
- Restaurant open daily
- 7+ year olds welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
The 7 rooms are individually and beautifully styled, with colonial-chic furniture and fans suspended from high ceilings. Slumber comes easily thanks to marshmallowy pillows, light duvets and soft, printed, Indian bedspreads. Bathrooms blend comfort and style, too; we particularly liked those of the gorgeous Ultra Rooms (Cynthia, Ranee, Anithra and Vasanthi), which offer twin sinks and free-standing tubs as well as strong showers.
Most rooms radiate from or look into the main courtyard. The 2 Deluxe Rooms (Poornam and Soundhari) are small yet cosy with four-poster beds and semi-outdoor shower bathrooms. The Ultra Rooms have either a hidden garden courtyard or balcony. The Master Suite (Annapuranie) is all-round fabulous with an antique ebony four-poster bed, and is extremely spacious, having a separate lounge, hallway and garden terrace.
- Air conditioning
- DVD player
- Ipod dock
- Mosquito net
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
You dine on a deep veranda overlooking the courtyard. Service is accommodating, and the menus an interesting mix of Sri Lankan, Asian and Western flavours. Breakfast dishes included curd with muesli and fresh fruit, and creamy scrambled eggs served with proper sausages (a rarity in Sri Lanka). You could also go local and opt for their spot-on coconut sambol (a blend of grated coconut, chilli and lime), which is delicious spread on toast.
Lunch options range from salads and soups to a zesty chicken satay with rice and mango salad or a delicious Sri Lankan rice and curry feast served Thali-style, which works really well for vegetarians (they switch in cashew nut curry for a meat or fish dish). Dinner menus follow the same tone. We particularly liked the unusual drinks selection: oat smoothies, fruit smoothies and healthy concoctions like fresh coconut water with gotukola and lime.
If you want to eat out, there's no shortage of options nearby. Café Kumbuk is a lovely spot for casual dining, while Epicure caters to more formal affairs. If you're willing to venture a little further afield, Botanik offers excellent Sri Lankan fare and has a snazzy rooftop bar for pre-dinner tipples, or if you want to stay closer to home, Upali's is great and is just a short walk uphill from the hotel.
- Room service
- Stay put and book a massage, facial or manicure in the tucked-away spa room (therapists are called on demand) or visit one of Colombo’s many salons or spas
- Visit the city’s contemporary art galleries – the Saskia Fernando Gallery on Horton Place is very close by
- Colombo has great shopping, especially for interiors – we love Paradise Road for chic home items, Spa Ceylon for tropical toiletries and Barefoot for colourful handloom fabrics
- Wander through Colombo’s fascinating heritage Fort area and the frenetic Pettah market district with an in-the-know local guide, to learn a little more about the city's colourful history; reception can arrange
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
- Well being
The hotel welcomes children above 7.
Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Annapuranie has a sofabed for 1 extra guest.
For more family-friendly places, see our Kids Collection
Maniumpathy is located on busy Kynsey Road on the fringe of Cinnamon Gardens, a well-heeled Colombo neighbourhood within reach of the main sights.
Fly into Colombo Bandaranaike International airport (33km). The hotel can arrange a transfer from here, or jump in a taxi. The journey to Maniumpathy takes around 45 mins, depending on traffic.
If you want to hire a driver and car for your whole holiday, enquire through our Tailormade Tour Operator. Otherwise, the hotel can organise Uber cabs and tuk-tuks for visiting Colombo's attractions, shops and restaurants, as well as cars with drivers for onward transfers.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Bandaranaike International Airport 33.0 km CMB
- Beach 6.0 km
- Shops 1.0 km
- Restaurant 1.0 km