Gorgeous family-friendly small hotel on peaceful farmlands in bucolic Eure – an hour from Paris”
Back downstairs, the modern restaurant serves superb multi-course suppers: seasonal dishes that are fresh and non-fussy. For explorers, the hotel is near historic chateaux, abbeys and gardens. Guests who prefer to linger can indulge in a massage and steam at the exquisite spa. Children love to play in the heated pool or roam the grounds by bike; couples may prefer a quiet game of backgammon and a glass of Calvados from the honesty bar. We think it all sounds blissful – so, à bientôt!
- An excellent base for Normandy's historic chateaux, castles and quaint half-timbered towns
- Just 11 chic bedrooms, with flatscreen TVs, iPod docks, WiFi, bathrobes/slippers and luxurious Hermès products
- Feeling warmly welcome
- Delicious seasonal dinners in the modern restaurant: the 4-course menu changes daily
- Kids love the heated swimming pool and giant Mikado set, and there's lots of baby kit for parents to borrow
- No air con in the rooms, and little wardrobe/drawer space
- Breakfast isn't included in the rates and is a served Continental meal (no hot options); no lunches available
- The restaurant is only open for dinner Thurs-Sat, and holiday eves, except in July/Aug when it is open every evening except Tues
- A car is essential for excursions – taxis are expensive in this region, and there's no public transport
Best time to go
Our top tips
- As an aperitif, try the pink rose cider, a speciality of the Eure orchards.
- For design and décor enthusiasts, there’s a book of photos about Manoir de Surville’s renovation in the bibliothèque.
- Boutique Hotel
- 11 rooms
- Restaurant & bar (seasonal)
- All ages welcome
- Closed: mid-late October/Xmas hols
- Heated Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
This may be a country hotel but don’t expect chintzy bedspreads or patterned wallpaper. Instead, wood-beamed walls dotted with sepia photographs. Bathrooms have vintage marble basins; retro leather armchairs sit beside oak writing desks. A splash of colour comes from tartan cushions or a fuchsia throw on the high, comfortable beds. Everything is very chic – the French don’t do shabby.
Although they are the smallest, the Cocoon rooms, with their in-room free-standing tubs under the sloping attic walls, are perfect for those ‘à deux’. Couples may also like the sunny private terrace in the linden-green Classic room, or the soft colourings in the romantic pink Classic. The trio of dormer windows in the blue Suite gives an expansive view of the manor farmlands; this and the other pale-green Suite can both be connected to a Classic room for families.
- Ipod dock
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
A Continental breakfast is on offer every morning in the restaurant, or out on the terrace when it’s warm. Expect pastries and jam, organic granola and yogurt, cheeses, hams and juices, all fresh from neighbouring bakeries and dairies.
The set menu for dinner changes daily and has 3 courses, plus a cheese plate. Expect seasonal and simple gourmet cooking from an inventive chef. A summer starter might be pea-and-peppermint soup, a spring main could be roasted duck, an autumn dessert a lemon meringue pie. Vegetables and herbs come from the hotel garden; all meat and fish is regional. Everything is beautifully presented.
The restaurant is not open for lunch, but serves dinner Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. In July and August it is open every evening except Tuesday. The owners are happy to suggest other restaurants and make bookings for guests, but you'll need to drive/taxi.
- Visit the Harcourt Chateau with its glorious arboretum (tree garden), the oldest in France, or the magnificent Champ de Bataille castle, known as Normandy’s ‘Versailles’
- Stroll around the Manoir's 2 hectares of landscaped grounds and farmlands dotted with apple trees, or borrow a bike to explore the countryside
- The small spa has a sauna and steam room, and wonderful body scrubs and reflexology rituals: Indian, Balinese and Polynesian massages, as well as special ‘Shin-do’ sound massages using Tibetan bowls
- There's a heated outdoor pool and a running track, in case you're feeling restless
- Day trip to the abbey in the beautiful village of Le Bec-Hellouin, the quaint town of Louviers, Claude Monet’s gardens in Giverny and the pretty port town of Honfleur – all about an hour’s drive
- Spend a day on Normandy's wide golden beaches: Deauville is backed by Les Planches, a 1920s boardwalk with bathing cabins while Trouville sandy swathe extends for miles; it was once labelled 'Queen of Beaches'
- Go sky-high with a hot-air balloon or light-aircraft ride above the Eure countryside; golf courses and tennis courts are close for those who prefer to stay grounded
Activities on site or nearby include:
Very welcoming to families of all ages. There are 2 hectares of grounds to roam, plus board games in the lounge, and the restaurant has a kids menu and high chairs.
Family friendly accommodation:
The Suites can fit 1 baby cot and 1 extra bed. Alternatively they can be connected to a Classic Room to sleep 2 parents and 3 kids.
Kids Activities on site:
- Kids books/toys
- Bikes to borrow (there's a toddler seat)
- Heated pool (May-Sept)
- Giant Mikado, Molkky and badminton
Families Should Know:
The pool is unfenced
- Airport: 90 minutes' drive (Paris)
- Shop: 6km
- Hospital: 6km
Manoir de Surville is about 6km outside the village of Surville, in the Eure region of Normandy.
Deaville's Saint Gatien airport is the closest (101km) but most people fly into the international Paris airports of Charles de Gaulle/Orly, both a 90-minute drive away. Although the hotel can arrange an airport transfer, we'd recommend you hire a car to explore this fascinating region.
Val de Reuil station is a 20-minute drive away and has services from Rouen, Le Havre and Paris St Lazare.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Deauville 101.0 km DOL
- Paris Charles de Gaulle 129.0 km CDG
- Beach 108.0 km
- Shops 6.0 km
- Restaurant 6.0 km