Metafort's warm welcome is brought to you by Elsa and Arnaud. Their intent here was to let the exceptional speak for itself. Breakfasts are homemade and organic. Spaces are luxuriously spare, with splashes of bold colour from modern paintings. One room has a terrace on which you can wheel your bed to sleep under the stars, others come with amazing views of the Gorge. The most decadent amenity? Jacuzzi bathtubs in each room with multi-coloured lights and music piped in at the push of a button! You could easily spend 10 days exploring the pretty Vaucluse region by foot or car, from rugged Nesque canyon to tourist magnets like Avignon and Gordes.
- The fabulous pool with views of Mont Ventoux and the Gorges de la Nesque; perfect for lazy days on a lounger
- Intimate and romantic (note it books up fast)
- Elsa and Arnaud are always smiling, eager to help you plan your days and meals out, or make you feel at home relaxing at the hotel
- The serene surroundings and sweeping views from every room, fit for a Provençal painter
- Saturday-night dinners (by reservation and subject to demand) using local produce, and you can use the kitchen to whip up light meals on other days
- In 5 of the rooms the bathtubs and sinks are integrated into the bedroom, separated by a shower curtain or small wall. For more privacy, book The Flat or Diamantina
- No restaurant in the village in the winter months, but there are fantastic restaurants a 5-minute drive away
- No children aged 1-13 allowed (a plus for some)
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique B&B
- 7 rooms
- Breakfast (+ Saturday dinners on request)
- Babies and children over 14 allowed
- Closed: December to March
- Heated Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car recommended
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
- DVD library
There are 5 double rooms, each decorated very simply in whites and greys with a large emphasis on Zen pared-back calm. All bar Lilly have a small seating area, but we suspect you won't spend much time in your room: the views from the windows are ridiculously enticing.
Sous les Étoiles is the standout room. Tucked into the eaves of the third-floor attic, it has a spacious terrace with soaring views. Its bed can be rolled outside so you can sleep under the stars - pure romance! The Jacuzzi tub is in a separate room, under a skylight. Lilly is the smallest room, but still has plenty of space - 25 sq.m and a kingsize bed. Opaline and Cocoon have a little more room and sweeping vistas from their second floor position. Even ground-floor Diamantina has good views from 7 windows in its cosy bedroom, plus a separate bathroom and small lounge with space for an extra bed.
For a bit more privacy, The Flat has a separate entrance, a small kitchen-diner, and its own terrace, while L'Annesque is a contemporary-styled annex in the garden, with breathtaking views of the gorge from the huge windows. All rooms except L'Annesque have A/C, good WiFi and a TV (L'Annesque has binoculars instead - a charming touch).
Every room has a jacuzzi bathtub, most with coloured lights and music piped in at the touch of a button, plus a handheld shower. Three of these are within the bedroom, sometimes separated by a curtain, sometimes not: you may like this, you may not.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Pool towels
A lovely homemade French breakfast is served from 8.30-10.30am. Slice some baguette and sample homemade jams, cheeses, fruit and fresh-from-the-oven muffins. Elsa and Arnaud can rustle up eggs or French toast at your request.
There's no restaurant at Metafort but Saturday evening meals are available for a minimum of 8 people; plans are typically confirmed at the beginning of the week. Served in the garden, weather permitting, they showcase traditional Provençal dishes using local and organic vegetables. You can watch the cooking and learn a few secrets.
Other dining options (some of which depend on the season) include a meal-delivery service by a local caterer, a lovely summer restaurant in the village (open June-August), or you can pre-order a board of local produce (cheeses, charcuterie, salad and a dessert).
There is space in the fridge reserved for each room, so you can store your market purchases and you're welcome to use the large professional kitchen to cook your own meals (you'll need to drive to the nearest grocery shop). For lunches you'll easily find something to eat in Villes-sur-Auzon, though you might choose to go out for the day instead. If you don't fancy driving or cooking,
There are many recommended local restaurants - and in this area, you can almost guarantee sensational food. La Calade or Pompette, a 5-minute drive away , or Le Petiti Chose in Venasque or Au Fil du Temps in Pernes-les-Fontaines, both a 15-minute drive. Your hosts will be delighted to provide more suggestions should you need it.
Coffee and tea are available all day, and guests can help themselves to bottled water, wine, beer and soft drinks from the kitchen fridge/honesty bar.
- Dinner by arrangement
- Honesty bar
- Meal delivery service
- Organic produce
- Restaurants nearby
- Vegetarian options
- Make the most of the serenity. Read a book by the infinity pool that looks like it flows right into the canyon
- Take a tour of local vineyards. Metafort is in the heart of the Ventoux wine region and mountain bikes can be delivered directly to the house
- Visit pretty neighbouring villages, including Bédoin, Mormoiron, Venasque, Gordes, Crillon le Brave and Le Barroux, which are all under an hour away by car
- Get some culture in Avignon. The Pont d'Avignon and the impressive Palais des Papes are the 2 must-sees
- Visit L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue on a Sunday. This town has a wonderful brocante market snaking through it, as well as pretty shops and lovely riverfront restaurants. You can go kayaking here, too
- Enjoy Provence away from the crowds: go for a drink at the authentic Provençal bar in Méthamis, discover the spectacular Nesque canyon or the stunning Gorges du Verdon; walk the established trails in the area; visit hidden villages
- Pamper yourself. Metafort has a small room on the second floor for massages
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Mountain biking
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
This is really an adult retreat, though babes in arms (under 1 year old) and teens aged 14+ are allowed. This is due to the steep drops around the hotel. Diamantina has space for an extra bed.
Family friendly accommodation:
Cots Available, Extra Beds Available
Metafort is in the pretty hilltop town of Methamis, around 40km east of Avignon in the Vaucluse area of Provence, southern France.
There are several airports within driving distance, the best option being Marseille (a 1 hour 30 min drive from Metafort). Those coming from further afield can connect to here via Paris. Click on the links below for a list of airlines serving these airports.
From the Airport
We'd recommend hiring a car. It's not 100% essential, but it's a good idea if you want to spend more than a weekend here, getting out to explore neighbouring towns, the countryside and the joys of Provence itself. See our car rental recommendations. If you don't want to drive, you can take a taxi from the airport. Elsa & Arnaud will recommend a trusted taxi service.
If you don't want to drive, France's reliable TGV system runs to Avignon. From there you can hop in a taxi or pick up a local train to the closest stop, Carpentras (20km from the B&B), then take a shorter taxi.
There are several small bus networks in the Vaucluse; intercity coaches also cover the area, running to Avignon and Marseille, and Provence in general is well connected with bus routes.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to France and getting around
- Avignon 46.0 km AVN
- Avignon 94.0 km MRS
- Beach 110.0 km
- Shops 5.0 km
- Restaurant 1.0 km