“A tranquil organic farming estate near Chania, offering 3 self-catering apartments (for 2-4) with private pools and beautiful gardens”
The owner, Manolis, has had the property in his family for several generations, and now spends his days looking after the adjoining orchards, which produce award-winning organic fruit. The day-to-day running of the property is in the hands of his niece, Danai, who is a passionate and warm host: on hand when you need her and armed with a wealth of knowledge and recommendations. Couples, friends and families adore the sense of space, privacy and freedom here. Expect cats in the courtyard, vases of freshly cut flowers and days spent reading by your private pool, glass of freshly-squeezed orange juice in hand - pure bliss.
- Your fridge is restocked daily with delicious local (and often organic) breakfast ingredients and fresh garden produce - oranges, strawberries, avocados, bread, cheese, olives, eggs
- The best of both worlds: close to central Chania for shops, restaurants and bars but far enough away to be peaceful and secluded
- Perfect for a romantic retreat - our garden, pool and outdoor dining area felt wonderfully private
- A very warm welcome, with all the assistance or privacy you prefer
- The proximity to the main road means you can hear the faint hum of traffic, but, thanks to the lush walled gardens, you can’t see it
- Not suitable for toddlers due to lots of uneven ground, steps, stone floors and unfenced pools
- In July and August you have to stay 4 nights or more
- You're 5km from the nearest beach and town so you'll probably want to hire a car, although taxis to/from Chania are very reasonable
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Apartments
- 3 self-catering apartments (for 2-4)
- All ages welcome
- Closed: 21 Jan 2019 - 24 Mar 2019
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
There are 3 self-contained apartments spread over 2 buildings: Danae, Kyriakos and Kynthia, each sleeping 2-4 people.
Danae and Kyriakos are both on the ground floor. Cool and spacious open-plan spaces with large arches, original wooden beamed ceilings, exposed stonework, slick kitchens and lounges with sofabeds. The master sleeping area is on a mezzanine, reached by a half-flight of steps - in Danae this bedroom can be separated by a sliding door but in Kyriakos it opens out to the living area. The only thing missing is natural light, but to compensate you have your own garden and pool. Danae has a large lawn rimmed with aromatic Mediterranean planting and a pool backed by a high wall. We stayed in beautiful Kyriakos, where the pool is set in a wild flower garden that is part suntrap, part covered chill out area - complete with a speaker dock, daybed and rope swing chair.
Kynthia is a first-floor apartment approached up a steep flight of outside steps. The main space is a big, open-plan bedroom/lounge with a four-poster bed, a wicker sofa, 2 armchairs, and a built-in kitchen. There’s an additional small bedroom with bunk beds and an ensuite shower room, making this ideal for a couple with two children. Kynthia’s secluded pool lies a short stroll through the garden, and has a stone patio which doubles as a living area.
All apartments have sound systems with decent CD libraries (mainly jazz, classical and Latin), and bookshelves with plenty of English-language novels and Crete guidebooks. Please note that the pools are not available in winter (Nov-March).
- Barbecue (on request)
- CD player
- Coffee / tea making
- Communal washing machine
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
Each apartment has an open-plan kitchen equipped with a cooker (oven, grill and gas hob), fridge, kettle and filter coffee maker, and a juicer for the fresh oranges. For sitting down to eat, each has a big wooden table indoors, and an even bigger table in the shade by your pool, where you can dine by candlelight; Kynthia's pool area has a fridge, kitchenette and toilet, too, as it’s a short walk from the apartment itself. If you don’t feel like cooking, you can order meals to be delivered.
Upon arrival, you’ll find your fridge stocked with eggs, yoghurt, milk, local cheeses, olives and wine, plus Metohi Kindelis’ own organic seasonal garden produce. Essentials such as coffee, Twinings tea, sugar, honey, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper are also provided. Further provisions for breakfasts are supplied on a daily basis and are included in the price. For food shopping, the nearest supermarkets are Sklaventis or Lidl, both a 5-minute drive away.
Highly recommended eateries (3km away) include Salis, which serves modern Cretan cuisine on the waterfront in Chania; Evgonia, Manolis’ favourite local taverna for fresh fish; and Pan e vin, an authentic Italian osteria. There are also plenty of ideas provided in your welcome pack in the apartment.
- Chef on request
- Coffee / tea making
- Dinner by arrangement
- Explore Chania, with its lovely Venetian-era fishing harbour ringed with cafes, and its romantic cobbled alleys lined with arty boutiques and market stalls
- Visit the monasteries on Akrotiri peninsula, 10km east of Chania. See the 17th-century Agia Triada, the more sombre Gouvernetou, and the abandoned ruins of Katholiko
- Spend a day on the beach. The nearest ones lie just 5km away, but for something really special, drive to Falasarna, on the west coast, or Elafonisi, on Crete’s southwest tip
- Hike the length of the dramatic 18km limestone Samaria Gorge, descending from the White Mountains down to the village of Agia Roumeli on the south coast
- Go scuba diving with Blue Adventure Diving, based in Chania
- Drive across the island to Chora Sfakion on the south coast and visit the nearby 14th-century Frangokastello Venetian fortress. From Sfakia you can also take a taxi boat to the lovely beach of Glyka Nera (naturist-friendly)
- If you want some guidance exploring western Crete, Metohi's sister company arranges various tours including a guided walk around Chania's old town, and the classic day hike through the Samaria Gorge (May-Oct; not for the faint-hearted!) - ask for details
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Scuba diving
- Shopping / markets
Each apartment is designed to sleep 2-4, making them ideal for a couple with 2 kids - though they are much better suited to babies or older children due to various hazards for toddlers. Kids will love the freedom of the spacious gardens, and being able to learn about plants in the orchard.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Kynthia is best for families as it has a separate small bedroom with bunk beds and an ensuite bathroom. Danae & Kyriakos have sofabeds in their living areas, providing additional sleeping space. Danae is more family friendly than Kyriakos due to the large flat lawn and the ability to close off the bedroom from the living space.
Set in a peaceful walled garden with towering palm trees, Metohi Kindelis lies just off the main road, 3km southwest of Chania, between the sea and the mountains in western Crete.
Chania is the closest airport, served by daily flights from Athens the year through, and by charter flights from most European capitals in summer. Heraklion airport is a 2-hour drive away.
From the Airport
We recommend you hire a car at the airport for convenience during your stay. Alternatively you can take a taxi from the airport (approx €30).
Chania’s port, Souda, is served by daily overnight ferries from Athens’ port, Piraeus, on the Greek mainland.
To explore the region better, you really need to hire a car - see our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Chania Souda 25.0 km CHQ
- Heraklion Nikos Kazantzakis 150.0 km HER
- Beach 4.0 km
- Shops 2.0 km
- Restaurant 2.0 km