The Kindelis family, who have owned it for over a century, still live there today, and are passionate about the land, its fruit, and its future. Manager Danai is a warm and cultured host: on hand when you need her and armed with a wealth of knowledge and recommendations (her English is perfect). Uncle Manolis still spends his days tending their organic orchards, which produce award-winning citrus fruit, avocados, kumquats, strawberries and more. Couples, friends and families adore the sense of space, privacy and freedom here. Expect cats in the courtyard, vases of freshly cut flowers and days spent reading by your private pool, or picnicking in their botanic gardens with your own freshly-squeezed orange juice. Pure bliss.
- This is the best of both worlds: close to central Chania for shops, restaurants and beaches, but far enough away to be peaceful and secluded
- We loved having our fridge stocked with delicious local breakfast ingredients and garden produce
- Perfect for a romantic retreat - our garden, pool and outdoor dining area felt wonderfully private
- Danai is a born concierge, sharing her favourite local beaches, restaurants and under-the-radar sights with us; even advising on our wider Cretan trip
- The proximity to the main road means you can hear the faint hum of traffic, but, thanks to the lush walled gardens, you can’t see it
- No kids aged 2-12 permitted
- Minimum stay is usually 5 nights, but 3-4 nights can sometimes be accepted
- You're 5km from the nearest beach and town so you'll probably want to hire a car, although taxis to/from Chania are very reasonable
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Apartments
- 3 apartments for 2-4
- Babies and 13+ yo accepted
- Closed: December to February
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car recommended
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
There are 3 self-contained apartments spread over 2 buildings: Danae, Kyriakos and Kynthia, each sleeping 2-4 people.
Danae and Kyriakos are both on the ground floor. Cool and spacious open-plan spaces with large arches, original wooden beamed ceilings, exposed stonework, slick kitchens and lounges with sofabeds. The master sleeping area is on a mezzanine, reached by a half-flight of steps - in Danae this bedroom can be separated by a sliding door but in Kyriakos it opens out to the living area. The only thing missing is natural light, but to compensate you have your own garden and pool. Danae has a large lawn rimmed with aromatic Mediterranean planting and a pool backed by a high wall. We stayed in beautiful Kyriakos, where the pool is set in a wild flower garden that is part suntrap, part covered chill out area - complete with a speaker dock, daybed and rope swing chair.
Kynthia is a first-floor apartment approached up a steep flight of outside steps (making it unsuitable for very young children and elderly people who may struggle with stairs). The main space is a big, open-plan bedroom/lounge with a four-poster bed, a wicker sofa, 2 armchairs, and a built-in kitchen. There’s an additional small bedroom with bunk beds and an ensuite shower room, making this ideal for a couple with two children. Kynthia’s secluded pool lies a short stroll through the garden, and has a stone patio which doubles as a living area.
All pools are saline, meaning they are chlorinated with salt and electrolysis rather than chemicals (this is better for the environment and for you, as it causes far less irritation to your body); this is just one of the ways in which the long term impact of Metohi Kindelis has been considered by its owners, who prioritise sustainability above all else.
All apartments have speakers and sound systems with decent CD libraries (mainly jazz, classical and Latin), and bookshelves with plenty of English-language novels and Crete guidebooks. Please note that the pools are not available in winter (Nov-March), and TVs and barbecues are available on request.
- In room treatments available
Each apartment has an open-plan kitchen equipped with a cooker (oven, grill and gas hob), fridge, kettle and filter coffee maker, and a juicer for the fresh oranges. For sitting down to eat, each has a big wooden table indoors, and an even bigger table in the shade by your pool, where you can dine by candlelight; Kynthia's pool area has a fridge, kitchenette and toilet, too, as it’s a short walk from the apartment itself. Barbecues are available on request - definitely worthwhile to make the most of the amazing outdoor space. If you don’t feel like cooking, you can order meals to be delivered. Danai has extensive knowledge of wines and can guide you through the list of Cretan and Greek wines provided, to help you pick the right tipple for you.
Upon arrival, you’ll find your fridge stocked with eggs, yoghurt, local cheeses and olives, plus Metohi Kindelis’ own organic seasonal garden produce - maybe oranges, avocados or other fruit. Essentials such as coffee, tea, sugar, honey, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper are also provided. Further provisions for breakfasts can be requested for a small extra cost. For food shopping, the nearest supermarkets are a 5-minute drive away.
Highly recommended eateries (3km away) include Salis, which serves modern Cretan cuisine on the waterfront in Chania; and Evgonia, Manolis’ favourite local taverna for fresh fish. There are also plenty of ideas provided in your welcome pack in the apartment.
- Chef on request
- Dinner by arrangement
- Explore Chania, with its lovely Venetian-era fishing harbour ringed with cafes, and its romantic cobbled alleys lined with arty boutiques and market stalls
- Visit the monasteries on Akrotiri peninsula, 10km east of Chania. See the 17th-century Agia Triada, the more sombre Gouvernetou, and the abandoned ruins of Katholiko
- Spend a day on the beach. The nearest ones lie just 5km away, but for something really special, drive to Falasarna, on the west coast, or Elafonisi, on Crete’s southwest tip
- Hike the length of the dramatic 18km limestone Samaria Gorge, descending from the White Mountains down to the village of Agia Roumeli on the south coast
- Drive across the island to Chora Sfakion on the south coast and visit the nearby 14th-century Frangokastello Venetian fortress. From Sfakia you can also take a taxi boat to the lovely beach of Glyka Nera (naturist-friendly)
- Massages and reiki can be booked in Metohi Kindelis' gardens, as well as other wellness activities such as yoga and qigong
- If you want some guidance exploring western Crete, Metohi's sister company arranges various tours, including guided walks around Chania's old town, and several gorge hikes
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Scuba diving
- Shopping / markets
No kids aged 2-12 are permitted at Metohi Kindelis as there are steep and uneven stone steps, and a tranquil ambiance at the property. Each apartment is designed to sleep 2-4, making them ideal for a couple with teens. Babies are also permitted.
Babies (0-1 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Kynthia is best for families as it has a separate small bedroom with bunk beds and an ensuite bathroom. Danae & Kyriakos have sofabeds in their living areas, providing additional sleeping space. Danae is more family friendly than Kyriakos due to the large flat lawn and the ability to close off the bedroom from the living space.
Cots Available, Extra Beds Available
Set in a peaceful walled garden with towering palm trees, Metohi Kindelis lies just off the main road, 3km southwest of Chania, between the sea and the mountains in western Crete.
Chania is the closest airport, served by daily flights from Athens the year through, and by charter flights from most European capitals in summer. Heraklion airport is a 2-hour drive away.
Chania’s port, Souda, is served by daily overnight ferries from Athens’ port, Piraeus, on the Greek mainland.
To explore the region better, you really need to hire a car.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Chania Souda 25.0 km CHQ
- Chania Souda 150.0 km HER
- Beach 4.0 km
- Shops 2.0 km
- Restaurant 2.0 km