Luxury hotel and wine estate with stunning views, just 5 minutes' drive from Franschhoek's main street, the Cape's gourmet hotspot”
The thatch-roofed property was taken over by Sir Richard Branson's brilliant team in 2014 and given a complete makeover. With 100 acres of grounds, 22 stylish rooms (and a fabulous villa for families or groups), 2 restaurants, a spa with a hammam, tennis court and a heated pool, it has everything you'd want from a top-class hotel. You can relax, wine and dine in style, and for those who are more active, the region offers wine tours, horse riding, hiking, biking, trout fishing and golf. A superb wine cellar among the vineyards and orchards offers an excellent venue for special occasions and functions.
- Awesome views (the best of any hotel in the area)
- Fine cuisine and first-class wines, both at the hotel and close by; Franschhoek is the gourmet hotspot of the Winelands
- A superb level of service and thoughtful extras
- Spacious and supremely comfortable rooms with free minibars
- Less than an hour's drive from Cape Town and its airport, and ideally placed to explore the Winelands
- The track up to the property is rather pot-holed
- Half a mile from the village centre so you may need to drive or taxi to and from other restaurants (a free transfer service between Mont Rochelle and Franschhoek operates regularly)
- Some may not like the open-plan bathrooms
- Spa treatments are good but seemed a bit expensive
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 22 rooms
- 2 restaurants and bar (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Tennis Court
- Bicycles Available
The 22 rooms (including 6 suites) all offer wonderful views of the mountains, vineyards and the Franschhoek Valley. Each one is different but all are spacious and stylish, decorated in a clean, modern style, with restrained splashes of colour.
Beds are kingsize (twinned on request), with Egyptian cotton sheets and down pillows. Egg-shaped bathtubs, soft towelling bathrobes and swish toiletries add to the comfort, as do complimentary minibars. Many of the ground-floor bedrooms have French doors leading out to the gardens.
The Cabernet Rooms have the best terraces, overlooking the valley. For families or those seeking extra space, the Pinotage Suites have a separate sitting room with a sofabed. The top-end Cap Classique Suites have private plunge pools.
We have yet to see Manor House, a luxury villa which is available for private rent. You get 4 suites (all ensuite), a large bunk room for up to 6 kids, 2 private swimming pools, a full kitchen and a games room.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Complimentary mini-bar
- DVD player
- Extra beds
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
The hotel's main fine-dining restaurant Miko is an elegant space with stunning views of the valley. The a la carte menu includes dishes like Franschhoek trout tartar, warm harissa squid salad, beef fillet with truffled cauliflower and smoked tomato risotto with grilled leeks and gorgonzola cream. Start your meal with a cocktail on the terrace as the sun sets (we love the whimsical astro-turf armchairs and roaming wire sheep!), then treat yourself to some fine wine. The selection of Cape wines is extensive and includes the estate's own produce - Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc. Breakfast is a buffet spread with imaginative hot dishes cooked to order, from Moroccan frittatas to Mexican burritos.
If you fancy something more casual, try the Country Kitchen, which is located in the vineyards, a 5-minute stroll from the main hotel building. Soups, salads, curries, gourmet burgers, sharing platters and local cheeses can be enjoyed on the terrace. Picnic baskets can also be arranged.
Franschoek itself is brimming with amazing restaurants for a change of scene. Ask reception for their latest top tips.
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Picnic baskets
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- Relax by the heated pool or on the banks of the trout dam and admire the fabulous views. For those in need of pampering, there's a good spa with a hammam. A decent gym and tennis court (racquets and balls supplied) will keep the more active happy.
- Vineyard trails or cellar tours can be arranged for you with Mont Rochelle's own winemaker. Don't miss a tasting at the hotel's Country Kitchen. The other main wine centres (Stellenbosch, Paarl and Somerset West) are all within half an hour's drive
- Enjoy a hike through the hills and valleys with Franschhoek's eco-guide
- Horse riding - winetasting tours on horseback can be arranged, as can trail riding by the hour
- Stroll round Franschhoek - the village offers a host of excellent cafes and restaurants, boutiques and galleries
- Mountain biking can be arranged 5 minutes away from the hotel
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Horse riding
- Mountain biking
- Private guided tours
- Well being
- Wine tasting
Children of all ages are welcome, there's a host of Little Corkers activities and a menu designed for small fry. There's plenty of space outside, a tennis court and heated swimming pool (plus you get your own private pools if you book the Manor House), but no games room, although there are DVDs and games consoles to borrow.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
The exclusive-use 5-bedroom Manor House is perfect for a large extended family gathering or two families holidaying together as it has a bunk room which can sleep up to 6 kids in addition to the 4 double bedrooms, plus it has two private pools. The Pinotage Suites have a separate sitting room with a sofabed, which can sleep 2 children. Cap Classique Suites can fit 2 single beds in their sitting room. Shiraz Rooms can fit a baby cot
- Baby cots
- Baby baths
- Toys, puzzles & books
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Children's menus available, colouring-in activity offered for mealtimes
Kids Activities on site:
- Heated swimming pool and inflatables
- Tennis court
- Grape juice tasting (while the adults are wine tasting)
- Lawn games
- Scavenger hunt and picnics
- If staying in the Manor House, additional arts and crafts, pizza-making sessions, Xbox and PlayStation
Kids Activities nearby:
- Wine Tram
- Giraffe House, Butterfly World or the Farm Sanctuary to see some of Africa’s most wonderful wildlife
- Mobile scooters to rent nearby (for kids 4yrs+)
- Hike through local nature reserves
- Mont Rochelle can hire bicycles for all the family
Families Should Know:
The pool is unfenced
- Airport: 60 minutes
- Hospital: 45 minutes
- Shops: 5 minutes
Mont Rochelle is just outside Franschhoek in the Cape Winelands - about 60 minutes' drive from Cape Town, South Africa.
Fly into Cape Town (85km).
From the Airport
Transfers can be arranged with the hotel and there are taxis in Franschhoek for day trips.
For car hire see our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you confirm a booking through i-escape.com.
- Cape Town International 85.0 km CPT
- Beach 80.0 km
- Shops 2.0 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km