Remote, tranquil eco-retreat with 15 trendy suites, jaw-dropping lake views, starry skies and a top-rated gourmet restaurant”
All suites are generously sized and beautifully designed with handmade interiors and those far-reaching views of the lake or countryside. Some even have their own heated plunge pools. We adored the chic and serene vibe, the muted tones and the cork and wicker touches. There are lake beaches and medieval walled towns and villages nearby – hilltop Monsaraz blew us away – as well as horse-riding, wine-tasting, biking and balloon rides on the estate itself. Everything here is about preserving nature and traditional ways of life. We were utterly charmed. One to remember, for sure.
Information provided by Montimerso SkyScape Country House on 16/12/2021.
The restaurant and hotel are in separate blocks. All suites have a private outdoor terrace; you can access each room directly from outside.
Food and drink
Food (including breakfast) can be delivered to each suite.
More flexible cancellation - until 48 hours before arrival - in the event of covid-enforced cancellation
- Breathtaking sunsets seen best with a sundowner from a special picnic spot on the estate
- Staff are super-friendly and can help with everything from swimming spots to English-speaking guides
- Every room is fabulous and comes with a private terrace for soaking up the rugged views - there isn't a speck of civilisation in sight
- Marvel at the Milky Way through the telescope in the dining room, or the stargazing platform outside
- This region is wild and wonderful - few tourists have discovered it, and the tiny fortified hilltop village of Monsaraz (6km away) is one of Portugal’s loveliest gems
- No twin rooms here (just doubles); and no bathtubs
- It's remote, and the nearest village is 6km away; you’ll need a car
- Pathways can be a little uneven so watch your step
- The infinity pool is designed for gentle dipping rather than vigorous swims and is unheated
- We found that the hot water came and went a little in our shower
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 15 rooms
- Restaurant & bar
- Children accepted but not ideal
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
- Electric car charger
There are 11 Suites and 4 Premium Suites, each cool and minimalistic in design, with added pops of colour and natural textures. Think on-trend rattan wall hangings, colourful woven rugs, little clay pots, and soothing wood features, all sourced from local suppliers (some items are for sale). Every option comes with a private terrace or balcony plus a view of either the lake or the hilltop village of Monsaraz. Lake-facing rooms get the best view, but village-facing rooms are cooler in summer.
Premium Suites have their own dinky little plunge pools too, perfectly placed for stargazing with a glass of something cold – note that these are heated from October until late spring. Other little extras we loved included fluffy bathrobes, blankets for stargazing, jars of homemade honey, and a little bag of foraged plants from the garden. There's a bicycle outside every room for exploring the estate. If you want a Bluetooth speaker or some binoculars for birdwatching, just ask.
- Air conditioning
- Coffee / tea making
- Safe box
By all accounts, eating here is an utter treat. Devour fresh, seasonal and locally-sourced food, with breathtaking panoramic views of Alqueva Lake as your backdrop.
SkyScape Restaurant serves breakfasts, light lunches and daily-changing set dinners. We started our day on the restaurant's sunny terrace, tucking into crusty bread and Montimerso honey, fruit platters, mini pastries and perfectly cooked omelettes. For lunch, think sharing platters of local meat and cheeses, shrimp salad, gazpacho or a trio of mini-burgers. Or you could request a picnic and take it down to the lake.
Dinner for us was an indulgent treat: asparagus drizzled in a honey-mustard dressing and topped with toasted nuts, then black pig tenderloins with migas (a local delicacy made by soaking stale bread - sounds odd, tasted delicious!). Dessert was super-sweet sericaia (a type of flat cake local to the region) with plum and cinnamon. It goes without saying that the wines here (all produced locally) are fantastic.
Beyond the hotel, the nearest restaurants are a 5/10-minute drive away. Hotel staff recommend Os Templarios in Monsaraz, or Sem Fim in the nearby village of Telheiro. We opted for the latter and thought the food was excellent - sticky ribs cooked in honey and rosemary, and then the richest chocolate mousse we've ever tasted. The cuisine here is hearty, traditional and very meat-focused - not so good for veggies. Expect enormous portions!
- Coffee / tea making
- Room service
- Enjoy the great outdoors on the estate: take in the scenery on foot or horseback, explore the lake by boat, cycle the rolling country lanes (bikes can be borrowed from the hotel); have a picnic; walk in the eucalyptus forests of the Serra de Ossa; go birdwatching with the hotel's binoculars
- Don't miss the charming, cobbled hilltop village of Monsaraz (5 mins) with its impressive 13th-century castle, artisan shops and epic views over the Alqueva Lake
- The sandy freshwater beach of Praia Fluvial de Monsaraz (10 mins) is perfect for a cooling swim or kayak trip on Alqueva Lake; there's a handy onsite restaurant too
- Enjoy a private wine tasting experience with a sommelier focused on local wines
- Head out to Évora (40 mins), an impressively preserved 14th-century medieval walled town. Discover curious Roman baths, a grand Cathedral and the 16th-century Giraldo Town Square
- It's a similar distance to lovely Vila Viçosa, with its grandiose marble palace, castle and orange-tree-shaded plaza
- Hotel staff can also arrange pottery workshops, balloon rides, olive oil tastings, and English-speaking guides
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Cooking classes
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Hot air ballooning
- Mountain biking
- Museums / galleries
- Plantlife / flora
- Private guided tours
- Traditional cultures
- Well being
- Wine tasting
Children of all ages are welcome here, although the hotel has been designed primarily with adults in mind, and the ambiance is a tranquil one.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
It is possible to add one cot or extra bed (available on request, at extra cost) in the Premium Suites. But be warned, they are in short supply so get in there early.
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Families Should Know:
Loud splashing in the pool is discouraged.
Montimerso SkyScape Country House is set on the edge of Alqueva Lake in the northeast corner of the Alentejo region, close to the Spanish border. The village of Monsaraz is 6km away; the town of Reguengos de Monsaraz is 10km.
The nearest airport is Lisbon (180km / 2 hours). Faro (230km / 2.5 hours) is also an option.
From the Airport:
You will want to hire a car to explore the area and have options for eating out. There's free parking at the hotel.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Lisbon 179.0 km LIS
- Beach 10.0 km
- Shops 9.0 km
- Restaurant 6.0 km