A quirky, friendly little hotel on the quiet side of town, with refreshing pool and lush gardens”
Spotless rooms are idiosyncratically decorated with lots of profoundly dark-stained wood, almost-silky bedcovers and lots (and lots) of objects: lotus petals float in copper water jars, Apsaras dance, elephants prance, colourful gourds hang in the trees, orchids cling to pillars in a sun-trapping courtyard. Staff are exceptionally friendly and caring, and several down-to-earth celebs (from Sue Perkins to Gordon Ramsay) have used it as their Siem Reap hangout of choice.
- The soothing polished wood interiors and lush greenery create a very restful space
- We loved borrowing the hotel's bikes and cycling to the Angkor Wat complex nearby
- The swimming pool is a great spot to refresh yourself after the rigors of sightseeing
- The grandmotherly lounge bar on the first-floor balcony offers peace in the city with garden views
- Extra marks for being "90% plastic-free", with purified drinking water in every room (no bottles allowed) and bamboo straws
- You get what you pay for: it's not 5-star luxury but a warm welcome is guaranteed
- The food is fine, but you’ll head into town for more atmosphere
- The rooms are a little dark
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 44 rooms
- Restaurant + bar (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
- Bicycles Available
The rooms all share the same traditional style, by which we mean the Bangkok tradition of ca. 1973. Expect wood floors, panelled ceilings, big beds and chests, all varnished to a deep shade of brown. Most rooms are big, none are small, and each comes with wooden armchairs and a surfeit of decorative objects. It’s worth splashing out on a first-floor Deluxe Double/Twin Pool View rather than one of the ground-floor Deluxe Double/Twin Garden Views, as they get a smidgin more light and open onto a very pleasant covered terrace, with comfy seating at one end if you fancy a smoke. The Montra Suites have a Jacuzzi, and the Family Suites are perfect if you're bringing the kids.
There are scented oils burning in your bathroom, ceiling fans, shuttered windows and air-conditioning; everything you need to keep cool. Quirky bathrooms come with pink 1980s baths and good overhead showers.
- Air conditioning
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
The deep dark atmospheric Reahoo restaurant serves meals throughout the day, with a menu offering Khmer food alongside Western staples below silken hanging lamps. Or, eat on the terrace overlooking the pool, with the gardens gathered around you and the odd statue of Buddha to keep you calm. Expect smoked fish soup with coconut milk, fried chicken with cashew nuts, stuffed tomato with minced pork. There’s a short vegetarian menu, too. Later, retreat to either the first-floor Rama Lounge or the pool-side Asura Bar; their signature cocktail offers a unique twist on the Singapore Sling!
Breakfast is a surprisingly solid menu, with homemade jam and good bread, eggs cooked to order, and the eternal congee if you fancy a break from stodge. There’s also Earl Grey tea, strong coffee, and fruit squeezed or chopped.
If you want to dine out, head to the nearby Wat Bo area for a wide choice of Khmer restaurants, or Barrio for informal French food.
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- This ancient capital's principal temple is Angkor Wat: surrounded by a 5km moat, it's the largest religious building in the world
- Visit the 216 giant, stone faces chiselled into the walls of Bayon
- Head to Ta Prohm where the roots of giant banyan trees hold temple ruins in their mighty grip
- Banteay Srei has wonderful pink sandstone temples and exquisite stone carvings
- The night market is a 15-minute tuk-tuk ride away, and is full of great artifacts
- Visit The Tonle Sap, Asia’s largest freshwater lake, which floods with monsoon rains and teems with fish
- Bliss out in the hotel's Sita Spa. The Herbal Steam Sauna is the perfect way to wind down, plus there are seaweed wraps, honey milk Jacuzzi baths and an invigorating foot massages
- Reception can book cooking lessons at a local restaurant, language classes (if you're brave) and (fixed) hot-air balloon rides
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Cooking classes
- Historical sites
- Hot air ballooning
- Language courses
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
- Traditional cultures
- Well being
Although all ages are welcome, bear in mind that space is limited and your neighbours may welcome peace.
Family friendly accommodation:
We'd recommend the Deluxe Family Suites (with pool or garden views), which each have a kingsize bed and two singles. The Signature Family Suite is the largest of all, with four single beds.
Babysitting available by arrangement.
Baby cots available on request.
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Montra Nivesha is at the northern end of central Siem Reap, central Cambodia. It's a 15-minute drive from the entrance to the Angkor complex.
Siem Reap International Airport (7km) is the closest airport. If you're flying in from abroad and can't fly straight to Siem Reap, aim for Phnom Penh Airport then take a connecting flight.
From the Airport
Public transport is confined to only the very biggest cities in Indochina and taxis are not always reliable, so as a rule we'd recommend booking an airport transfer through your hotel.
It's possible to take a ferryboat or speedboat from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap via Tonle Sap lake (4-6 hours), but choose your vessel with care. The crossing can be extremely rough, the boats overcrowded, and the lifebelts non-existent. Some of slower cruises (2-3 days) are much more civilised - the hotel can recommend and book a 1-day speedboat trip or a 3-day cruise, through their tour operator Hanuman Tourism.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Cambodia and getting around
- Siem Reap international 7.0 km REP
- Beach 500.0 km
- Shops 2.0 km
- Restaurant 1.0 km