“A hip but tranquil 20-room hotel, plus 2 lavish houses for 10, on the virtually car-free island of Spetses, just 2 hours from Athens”
Set close to the old harbour, the Orloff is a rare breath of contemporary chic. Hidden within the stone-walled grounds of a 19th century family mansion, its whitewashed buildings cluster round a large pool, with pebbled paths and designer deckchairs shaded by ancient olive trees. Inside, cool white walls are brightened by scarlet or ochre cushions, gnarled iron lamps and bedside tables carved from tree trunks. Take a friend or partner and spend a glorious week lazing by the pool, cycling round the island and indulging in delicious Greek food and hospitality.
- The stunning Mediterranean backdrop: neo-classical houses offset by bright blue skies and green pine trees
- Owners (and brothers) Christos and Vassilis Orloff are as welcoming as their multi-lingual staff
- Breakfast is served until 11am
- Massages and beauty treatments are available - you can even have hydro massage in the pool
- The island is car-free - explore by bicycle, moped or horse-drawn buggy instead
- Great for families
- There's no real restaurant at the hotel, and the nearest eateries are a 10-minute walk away in the old harbour
- The busy town centre, Dapia, is a 15-minute walk
- Those mopeds are driven at breakneck speed - pedestrians take care!
- Standard rooms don't have much of a view
- The pool is closed daily from 2.30-5.30pm (though sometimes they waive this rule)
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 20 + 2 houses for 5-10
- Breakfast only; restaurants nearby
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Bicycles Available
The cool, thick-walled rooms provide a welcome respite from the blazing Greek sun, and their simple, contemporary style is equally refreshing. Clean white-washed walls and limestone floors are offset by splashes of vivid colour (scarlet or ochre) and artfully twisted wrought-iron bedsteads or handmade wicker lamps. Dove-grey French windows lead onto a veranda or balcony overlooking the citrus-shaded gardens, while in the larger suites you'll find olive-wood coffee tables, cube-framed four-poster beds and white-painted roof beams. Several accommodations include kitchenettes/kitchens. All in all, it's delightfully easy on the eye, and architect (and family friend) Elisa Manolas deserves all the plaudits she is getting.
The grey marble bathrooms are equally stylish, with roomy showers and Korres toiletries; but, as usual in Greece, don't expect a bathtub.
There's a wide choice of sizes and bed types. Standard rooms come with double or twin beds, while Superior rooms get the benefit of lovely second-floor views from their balconies. If you want a kitchenette, book a studio (which come in 2 sizes: standard and superior) - an airy, open-plan space with a living room and double bedroom divided by a low internal wall, where a stone-built sofa can double up as a third bed for a couple with child. The Suite would suit 2 couples travelling together: 2 double bedrooms, an open-plan living-dining space, a large veranda and 2 bathrooms (but only one Jacuzzi - no squabbling!).
Larger families will love the 2-storey Maisonettes, which sleep up to 6 in a double bedroom, a twin bedroom and a twin-sofa'd living room. There's also a kitchen with dining table, and a veranda with views of the pool so you can keep an eye on the young ones while finishing off their Greek salads. If you're staying for a while, ask about their 2 Superior Residences (each sleeps 10 in 5 bedrooms), spread over 3 levels, with gorgeous handmade furniture and a fantastic view of the island.
- Air conditioning
- CD player
- Coffee / tea making
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Extra beds
- Internet access
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
Breakfast is served until 11am - a welcome relief if you get stuck into the ouzo on a night out! Laid out under a lime-green sail that shades a pretty patio, or served in your room, it consists of a hot and cold buffet (cooked eggs, pastries, breads, cheeses, yoghurts and juices) and heavenly chocolate cake. Throughout the rest of the day, guests can order simple food from the bar - burgers, club sandwiches, omelettes and salads.
Alternatively, there are fantastic restaurants within a 10-minute walk, in the picturesque old harbour. Staff recommend Orloff Restaurant in the old harbour - unsurprisingly, since it belongs to the same owners, but also deservedly. The Mourayo is a very popular venue for live music; serving up juicy steaks and seafood specialities like Caviar Spaghetti, its candelit veranda is a great place to spend an evening. There are also several tavernas serving traditional Greek food - O Roussos is known for its mezédes (small sharing dishes) and grilled sardines. Fancy something a bit more glamorous? Head to the Wannabe Cafe Bar for cocktails, sushi and celeb-spotting.
- Coffee / tea making
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- Restaurants nearby
- Rent a moped or bicycle from the hotel and explore the pine forests and beautiful coastline - the locals' favourite beach is Zogeria, also served by taxi boat
- Go scuba diving, sailing, windsurfing, waterskiing or kayaking in the deliciously fresh Mediterranean sea
- Linger over an iced coffee at the picturesque Old Harbour, then visit the boatyards where ship-building is still an art
- Swim or sunbathe on the sandy beach at Agia Marina, 10 minutes' walk from the hotel
- Walk through shady footpaths up to the island’s hidden monastery, the Agion Panton
- Get party-hearty Greek style and go on a bar crawl, starting at the popular Socrates in Dapia
- Discover the island’s fascinating history at its Bouboulinas Museum, dedicated to the freedom fighter and Greek heroine Laskarina Bouboulina
- Visit the medieval church of Agios Nikolaos, which has incredible pebble mosaics
- It's a short boat hop to the Peloponnese; once there, you can visit the pretty resort towns of Porto Heli or Ermioni, or drive (1.5-2 hours) to the elegant town of Nafplion, Greece's first capital, and the nearby ancient theatre of Epidavros (which still stages plays in summer)
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Museums / galleries
- Scuba diving
- Shopping / markets
Children will enjoy it here with the garden and pool to romp around in. Cots and extra beds are available on request in the Studios (a bit cramped), Suites and Maisonettes which are best suited for families; the Residence or Mansion would be best for a large family party. Children are free up to 2 years old when sharing parents' room.
Toddlers (1-4 years), Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Cots Available, Extra Beds Available
Babysitting available by arrangement
Baby cots available on request
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Orloff Resort is on the island of Spetses, one of the Saronic Islands. The nearest airport is Athens, and Spetses is very easily accessible from Athens through the port of Piraeus.
Athens (190km). Click on the links below for a list of airlines.
From Athens airport
Take the airport bus or the train/metro or a taxi to Piraeus port (approx. 1 hour).
From Piraeus, there are several daily hydrofoils and catamarans to Spetses, taking 2-3 hours, as well as occasional ferry boats taking at least twice as long (but much more stable in choppy seas). Check out GTP for timetables.
Alternatively you can drive from Athens to Kosta (near Porto Heli) in the Peloponnese (2 hours) and then take a sea taxi to the island (5 minutes). If you want to hire a car see our car rental recommendations.
If you don't want to hire a car, Orloff can organise a taxi transfer from Athens airport to Kosta (2 hours' drive). You will be met at the port of Spetses and transferred to the hotel at no cost.
Detailed directions will be given to you when you book through i-escape.
More on getting to Greece and getting around
- Athens, Eleftherios Venizelos 190.0 km ATH
- Beach 0.5 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km