“A boutique oasis in the heart of bustling Catania that’s every bit as grand as its Baroque surroundings”
This is a haven for culture vultures, history buffs and romantic weekenders, keen to sample the sights, sounds and smells of olde-worlde Sicily. The views over the Piazza Duomo are jaw-dropping and a short stroll will take you to the magnificent cathedral of Saint Agatha, a host of museums, the world-famous fish market, a plethora of Baroque churches, the majestic Castello Ursino and the truly eye-popping Teatro Massimo Bellini – catch an opera if you can.
Catania, a World Heritage Site, is an often overlooked part of Sicily, where travellers eschew the city in favour of the beaches and rural retreats. They’re missing out – be sure not to make the same mistake.
- Location, location, location. Whether its majestic views, superb restaurants, high-end shopping or Roman amphitheatres, everything is within walking distance
- Despite being in the middle of a noisy city, the air-conditioned and soundproofed rooms provide a welcome retreat from the hustle and bustle outside
- Excellent service - everything from yacht rental to personal shoppers and image consultants is available on request
- Lots of original features that hint at the building's former grandeur - some stuccos and decorations date back to the late 18th Century
- Excellent breakfasts with typical Sicilian treats, including local cheeses, pastries and cakes
- Not suitable for families. Babies are welcome but 3+ years are not encouraged
- Full prepayment is required upon reservation and all bookings are non-refundable
- Because it's an old building, the lift only goes to the first floor - most of the lower grade rooms are further up on the second and third floors so you'll need to take the stairs
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Breakfast + walk to restaurants
- Only children aged 1-3 years allowed
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Laundry service
There are seven rooms in total, each individually decorated – some in the Baroque style, others more minimalist. Crisma (a Deluxe Double) is the most traditional (and we think the most beautiful) with its dark wood detailing, gorgeous original ceiling and marble flooring, while Libria and Celestia (Standard Doubles) are the last word in contemporary chic – bold patterns and clean edges. Idillia and Profumia (Superior Doubles) are lovely mid-range options, each with a smart, pared-back design. Agrumia and Angelia (Deluxe Doubles) are the most extravagant rooms, with golden colour schemes and pretty hand-painted floors.
All are soundproofed and air-conditioned, have private bathrooms, and offer views over the Piazza Duomo or the rooftops of Catania. Features include smart TVs (satellite channels) with Logitech keyboards for browsing the internet, WiFi, minibars and safes.
- Air conditioning
- Coffee / tea making
- Mosquito net
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
The hotel offers a much-praised breakfast, which includes a Continental-style buffet of cold cuts and cheeses from the Nebrodi Mountains, plus freshly-squeezed orange juice and eggs cooked any way. Traditional Sicilian delicacies like granita (a semi-frozen dessert), arancini and cassata (a fruity sponge cake) are also on offer.
For other meals, the best fare is to be found in the surrounding streets and alleyways. As befits an area renowned for its fish market, seafood features strongly. Fine diners should head for the Etnea Roof Bar and Restaurant (try the octopus and thyme-seared squid) with its romantic views over the city, and the more intimate Giardino di Bacco Catania (the taster menu is a must). For a relaxed meal, Il Gambero Pazzo is a favoured haunt of pasta lovers, the ever-busy U Fucularu is famed for the best sea bass in town and Lognina on the portside comes highly recommended for its seafood and sea views.
In truth, however, a 10-minute stroll will bring you to any number of homely, traditional eateries to please the most demanding palate.
- Coffee / tea making
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Catania has heaps of attractions to keep you busy for a long weekend – the fish market, Basilica della Collegiata, the Roman Theatre, the Cathedral Sant’Agata, the Via Etnea, to name but a very few. The best way to see them all is via a Baroque tour or an architecture tour.
- If you want to venture further afield, try a wine tour. The hotel offers a trip to the Terra Costantino winery where you can explore the vineyards and sample the produce.
- Alternatively, squeeze in a day at the sea with a trip to the upmarket Lido de Palme beside the sandy Playa di Catania beach, where you can lounge by the ornate pool with a cocktail or three.
- Catania is a student town and so boasts a broad selection of hip nightlife bars, though if you fancy living La Vida Loca, a taxi to glamorous Mercati Generali outside the city is more than worth the fare.
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
Only children aged 1-3 years allowed. Baby cots are available in the Superior Double and Deluxe Double rooms. There are no extra beds but children aged 2-3 can share their parents' bed free of charge.
Palazzo Marletta Luxury House Hotel is in the centre of Catania, on the east coast of Sicily. It's a 20-minute drive from the airport.
Catania Fontanarossa (6.2km away) is the nearest airport. If you're touring the whole of Sicily you might fly into Comiso (90km away) or Palermo (210km away).
From the Airport
It's an easy drive from Catania airport to the hotel. If you're planning to stay in Catania then you won't need a car, and the hotel can arrange a private transfer. There's also an airport bus that stops at Piazza Borsellino - a five-minute walk (450m) from the hotel.
If you want to explore the wider area then it makes sense to have a car. See our car rental recommendations. The hotel has private valet parking or there's street parking and public car parks nearby (all extra cost).
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Catania 6.2 km CTA
- Comiso 90.0 km CIY
- Beach 2.0 km
- Shops 0.2 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km