The Palazzo Rosso (Red Palace) had been dormant for decades until new Swiss owners realised its extraordinary potential. Interiors were transformed with an assured blend of old and new art, bespoke furniture (such as gazebos and braziers turned into bathtubs) and sophisticated light fixtures. 11 sumptuous suites have original frescoes, huge fireplaces, multicultural antiques and contemporary bathrooms. The ancient water cistern was cleverly reinvented as an underground spa, while the vaulted former oil mill now serves refined local fare in restaurant 700. Enjoy regional wines and excellent cocktails at the 8-metre-long stone counter in the stylish bar, or dine al fresco beside the supremely elegant 15-metre swimming pool. A true paragon of beauty.
- Perfect for romantics and design lovers seeking a more in-depth insight into Puglia's cuisine, history and culture
- Incomparable style throughout, especially in the spacious suites with their soaring ceilings and parquet floors
- The only full-length swimming pool in Ostuni, and within such an elegant walled garden: a haven of peace
- Fine dining in Restaurant 700, and innovative cocktails in Bar 700
- Excellent underground spa with steam bath, chromotherapy shower and treatment room for two
- This level of service and style is priced accordingly, but worth paying for
- No children under 14, a high for many!
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 11 rooms
- Restaurant and bar
- Over 14s only
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car recommended
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
Whichever of the 11 unique rooms and suites you choose at Paragon 700, it's guaranteed to be magnificent. All are restored with superb artistic flair and come with kingsized beds and French parquet floors.
The ample entry-level Deluxe rooms have unexpected treasures, such as lovely frescoes. We stayed in one of these rooms and it was packed full of character, with vaulted ceilings and the added extra of our own private Turkish bath. The elegant Deluxe Suites are larger still, with perhaps a grand fireplace or spacious living area.
Exquisite Superior Suites come with cathedral ceilings and hand-painted details on the walls, along with a contemporary colour palette and bespoke tiles.
For honeymooners or that special occasion, the sumptuous Paragon Suite boasts 7m-high cathedral ceilings, a large terrace with a pool view, a sunken bath, and an enormous open fireplace. This is the showstopper: an incredible space.
Luxurious details are everywhere: 100% stonewashed bed linen, iPad Pros loaded with all the information you'll need for your stay, underfloor heating and bathtubs with spa showers or walk-in showers in the marvellous bathrooms, plus a complimentary mini-bar stocked with soft drinks.
- Air conditioning
- Safe box
The cuisine here showcases a passion for local and seasonal produce. The Restaurant 700 and state-of-the-art kitchen in the ancient vaulted oil mill has a revered a la carte offering as well as spectacular 3- to 6-course tasting menus for dinner, including one where each course hails from a different part of Puglia. Simpler fare is available for lunch.
We were treated to a 3-course tasting menu (along with lots of little amuse-bouches), which was incredible. The chefs pick their own highlights from the daily menu, all artfully presented, with lots of fresh fish.
An a la carte breakfast - sweet and savoury dishes, preserves, eggs, salmon, hams, pastries - is served on the terrace facing the orange grove and pool; in summer dine here on warm evenings too.
Stylish Bar 700 serves cocktails crafted from homemade ingredients, local wines and spirits; its signature 8.5m-long stone counter is made of antique tin plates. Snacks and small plates can be eaten by the fireplace. Ask about wine tastings in the cellar with the resident sommelier, or cocktail classes with the head mixologist. In summer the pool bar is open.
Paragon 700 is centrally placed in Ostuni so all eateries are within easy reach. For a change of scene, try Monna Lisa Caffe, Ciccio in Piazza, or Osteria Ricanatti. We ate at Bellavista Pizzeria for a cheaper alternative – incredible Neapolitan pizzas.
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Explore Ostuni's beautiful whitewashed old town - the Cathedral, the Bishop's Palace, the attractive Arco Scoppa nearby, and the ancient walls
- Indulge in a massage, body treatment or a 2-hour salt ritual in the unique underground spa which has a Turkish bath, chromotherapy shower, and a split-level therapy room for two (the beds are on different levels)
- Try your hand at cocktail-making with the head mixologist, or enjoy wine-tasting with the sommelier
- Keen chefs should take part in the half-day cooking class
- The region's best beaches are 10-15km away
- Discover Puglia's distinctive regional gastronomy; cooking classes and wine tastings in the former olive oil cellar are both easily arranged
- The countryside surrounding Ostuni features wineries, fortified mansions, golf courses and historic small towns
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Cooking classes
- Historical sites
- Well being
- Wine tasting
Paragon 700 is located in the centre of Ostuni hill town in the southern Italian region of Puglia.
The nearest airports are Brindisi (39km) and Bari (99km).
There are trains from Rome to Ostuni (but not direct).
We recommend hiring a car to make the most of the area. The centre of Ostuni is pedestrianised but the hotel has private paid parking.
Detailed directions will be sent once your booking is confirmed.
Read our guide to getting to Italy and getting around
- Brindisi 39.0 km BDS
- Bari 99.0 km BRI
- Beach 11.0 km
- Shops 0.3 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km