“A stunning circular penthouse apartment (sleeps 8-10) lording it over surf-mecca Fistral beach and the Newquay coast”
Head outside, and you have one of the best surf spots in the UK at your feet: Fistral Beach. 15 minutes' walk brings you into Newquay, well stocked not just with nightlife and coffee shops, but also more civilised attractions: a zoo with lions and sloths, an aquarium with sharks and pufferfish. Follow the coast path west to lovely Crantock (voted Best British Beach by Coast), or to the endless sands and rugged cliffs of Poly Joke and Holywell, our favourites. A rare dose of urban style amidst stunning Cornish coastal scenery, and an all-round top spot.
Information provided by Pentire Penthouse on 10/09/2020.
Guests must observe government regulations around larger gatherings, such as the 2-household rule or 6-person rule - or whatever is in force at the time of stay.
- Perfect for a group of friends wanting to get together in style, or a (large) family wanting the best of beach and town
- The wraparound balcony is a great spot for al fresco drinks and sunbathing on a sunny day
- The gleaming white kitchen has all you need to whip up an intimate dinner party (or ask a pro to)
- The penthouse is wonderfully sunny - and if the clouds do roll in, sit back and watch them from the comfort of your Bond-style pad
- There's masses of space, with a choice of sitting and dining areas, a work space and a vast master suite
- Famed for its teenage parties, Newquay lacks the rarefied charm of Padstow or St. Ives; but you're at a safe distance (and by day it has plenty of attractions)
- The apartment is located in Pentire, a rather soulless residential area, and when we visited there was a large derelict building just opposite
- As usual in Cornwall, rentals run from Friday-Friday in July-August, and from Mon-Fri / Fri-Mon at other times
- The apartment has roads on 2 sides and it is possible to hear the cars, but from the top floor it's nothing more than a mild nuisance
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Apartment rental
- 4 bedrooms
- Self-catering; restaurants nearby
- All ages welcome except toddlers
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
The 4 big bedrooms are on the lower level of the apartment, each with zip-link beds (i.e. super-kingsize double or twin, as you prefer) and its own bathroom (3 are ensuite, 1 is just outside the room). Expect 400-thread-count Egyptian cotton bedding, sink-into Down pillows and feather duvets, monsoon showers and oodles of REN toiletries.
The master suite is huge - practically an apartment in its own right - and comes with a separate tub and a fold-out Ottoman which can be made up as an extra bed. There's also a single sofabed in one of the other bedrooms, meaning it can sleep a maximum of 10.
- CD player
- Central heating
- Coffee maker
- DVD player
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Ipod dock
- Tumble dryer
- Washing machine
Set on one side - if a circle can have sides - of the open-plan living area, the gleaming white kitchen has all you need to cook up a storm - there's even a separate pizza oven and a wine fridge. Perch on funky blue bar stools at the kitchen island, or adjourn to the handsome table and chairs (one sits 8, the other 4).
To make life easy, pre-order local meat and veg from Trevilley Farm Shop, then pop to Rawle for fresh seafood. Or go the whole hog and hire Michelin-trained Fiona Were, or the brilliant Vicky from Cornish Delicacies, to lay on a beautiful feast, while you relax in the hot tub with a glass of bubbly from the wine cooler.
In terms of eating out, you're spoiled for choice. On Fistral beach, try ever-popular Fish House, or The Stable for good quality pizzas and pies with killer views. There are countless options in town, from pubs to Mexican.
- Chef on request
- Coffee maker
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Restaurants nearby
- Shopping service
- Wander down to Fistral beach to catch a wave (or gawp at the pros); or take surf lessons from Fistral Beach Surf School if you're a novice
- More secluded beaches include National Trust Crantock, a 20-minute walk away; further along the coastal path lie Poly Joke and Holywell
- Head into Newquay (15 mins' walk) for chilled cafés and surf accessories by day, or a youthful party scene by night
- Other activities on offer include sea kayaking, deep sea fishing, coasteering and horse-riding along the beach
- Jump in the car and explore: northeast to the foodie fishing town of Padstow and the windsurfers' mecca of Rock, southwest for the eerie tin mines and wide Atlantic vistas of St. Agnes Heritage Coast
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Shopping / markets
A great option for a family or two (there is masses of space) who enjoy beach life, but want a town within reach.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
The apartment has 4 double/twin bedrooms, 2 of which can take an extra single bed. There's also a baby cot. The master suite is large enough to sleep a couple + child + baby in comfort.
Available by prior notice
- High chair
- Baby cot
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Board games for older kids, but no children's toys
Kids Activities nearby:
- Surf lessons at Fistral beach
- Blue Reef Aquarium (Newquay)
- Newquay Zoo
- Oasis Fun Pool (1 indoor, 1 outdoor)
- Lappa Valley Steam Railway
- Dairyland Farm World
- Karting at Holywell Bay or St Eval
Families Should Know:
There is no stairgate, and there's a roof terrace, so not ideal for toddlers. Note there is a lift to the penthouse
- Airport: 20 minutes
- Hospital: 15 minutes
- Shops: 5 minutes
The apartment is on the top 2 floors of a cylindrical block just outside Newquay in northern Cornwall, overlooking Fistral Beach.
It's 4-5 hours' drive from London along the M4-M5-A30-A392. There's underground parking at the apartment.
Trains from London Paddington to Newquay (c.5 hours) changing once at Par; from Newquay station, take a taxi (5 mins).
Newquay Airport (20 mins) has some domestic and seasonal international flights; for a wider choice, try Exeter (1.5 hrs), Bristol (2.5 hrs) or London Heathrow (4.5 hrs). If you need a car, see our rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to the UK and getting around
- Newquay 12.0 km NQY
- Exeter 150.0 km EXE
- Beach 0.2 km
- Shops 1.0 km
- Restaurant 1.0 km