Stunning modernist design, Jacuzzis with a view, and a huge range of adventurous trips both in and around Torres del Paine National Park”
Patagonian delicacies, Chilean wines and pisco sours are all included. Best of all, you'll be offered more than 30 different hikes, rides, kayak trips and biking trails - all led in small groups by expert, bilingual guides. Remota was revolutionary in offering trips outside Torres del Paine National Park as well as inside. As well as classic hikes, you can spot condors at Cerro Benítez, ride horses to Sierra Dorotea or spot fossils in the Sierra Baguales. Return to a sauna, a massage and a Jacuzzi under the stars.
- We loved the flexibility of the excursions - you choose freely from a 'menu' of half- and full-day trips from easy to extreme, advised by a head guide, and taken in small groups of up to 8
- Or, if you prefer to be independent, you can book B&B or Half-Board rates - there are plenty of eateries in Puerto Natales - but be aware you'll have to arrange your own activities
- After your hike, expect superb food and wine, plus an excellent spa and indoor pool where you can soothe tired muscles
- Stunning design and huge windows bring the spectacular views inside, whever you are sitting (or lying)
- Torres del Paine, with its jagged peaks, luminous lakes and ice fields is one of the most spectacular nature reserves in the world
- Remota is an hour's drive from the entrance to Torres del Paine, and another hour or so to the heart of the park; but they also organise plenty of activities and excursions near the hotel
- Service can be slow - partly the result of Remota's admirable policy of hiring local staff and training them up
- You're just a couple of miles outside the growing town of Puerto Natales, so don't expect complete wilderness
- Those seeking traditional hotel comforts may find the bold, angular furniture a little harsh
Best time to go
Our top tips
We strongly recommend the All Inclusive programmes, which look expensive but work out favourably when you factor in all the excursions, as well as meals, drinks, snacks and return transfers from Punta Arenas or El Calafate (3-4 hours). Note that, if booking B&B or Half-Board rates, you will not be able to join the Remota-arranged excursions - but staff can advise you on the best local hiking and adventure operators.”
- Boutique Hotel
- 72 rooms
- All inclusive
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Indoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
Remota's 72 rooms are all the same: generous and airy with wide views onto the Last Hope Sound and distant mountains. Fortunately they're also very warm, making the hotel a good location for winter trips when there are fewer tourists around. The design is simple and minimal, with hallmark touches like the windswept slant of the window frames (mimicking the wind-blown Patagonian buildings), slate floors, and the fragrant presence of pale, smooth lenga wood - from the trees you'll find throughout the park. Beds (double or twin) are large and comfortable, and touches of colour come from bright handwoven blankets. There are no in-room TVs or internet connections (though there is WiFi in the communal lounge area); world-renowned Chilean architect German Del Sol hopes guests will let go of their busy lives while they're here.
You can even enjoy the view from your bath, since bathrooms have windows onto the bedroom (carefully screened with etched glass for privacy). There are big baths, rainhead showers, and simple toiletries including bath salts to relieve aching limbs. The whole effect is calming, if slightly spartan, and very cosy.
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Safe box
Remota’s dining room is an inspiring place to start the day - the walls are almost entirely glass, giving stupendous views out over the Sound, and almost better views across grasslands to distant mountains. Broad tables with white cloths create a relaxed, open feel as you help yourself from a generous buffet breakfast. Fresh juices, various home-baked breads and pastries, abundant fresh fruit (including pineapple and mango when we were there) and a wide choice of cheeses, hams and cereals help set you up for the day. Eggs are cooked to order, and the jams are homemade.
Lunch will usually be a substantial picnic on your hike or excursion: meats and cheeses, salads or sandwiches, all laid out deliciously at a proper table (except on the longer hikes), and topped up with snacks, dried fruit, hot soup, tea, coffee and even homemade alfajores (soft cornflour and dulce de leche biscuits).
Dinner is relaxed and informal, with 2 or 3 options for each of the 3 courses. The daily-changing menus are filling and well balanced, with a focus on local produce. Lots of Patagonian specialities always feature, such as lamb and king crab casserole. Good Chilean wines are available - at no extra cost if you book a meal-inclusive rate.
- All meals included
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- The great advantage of staying at Remota over hotels inside the park is that you have the choice of a whole range of excursions in the immediate surroundings, as well as serious hikes and kayaking inside Torres del Paine. Some of the trails outside the park are exclusive to Remota, so you won’t see another soul. They have over 30 different trips on offer
- Horse ride up to Sierra Dorotea through forest and plains to reach a high peak overlooking Puerto Natales and Last Hope Sound, accompanied by Chilean gauchos
- Climb the steep bluff of Cerro Benítez to see condors flying close by and find caves with ancient paintings on the walls
- Visit a traditional Patagonian estancia and eat delicious barbecued local lamb, learning all about the pioneer sheep-farming life
- Mountain bike along the shore of nearby Lago Sofía, spotting wild birds and learning about the geological formation of the region
- Inside the park, the one not to be missed is the full-day hike up into the French Valley - crossing Lago Pehoe by boat, and then hiking 8 hours there and back with stunning views throughout
- Another unmissable is the full-day arduous hike up to Torres base camp to see the famous towers at close range
- Lesser known, but incredibly beautiful and almost empty of visitors is the hike to the hidden Pingo Valley for spectacular views of Cerro Paine and glaciers
- For a more relaxing day, go by boat to the Balmaceda and Serrano glaciers: an unforgettable sight
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Horse riding
- Mountain biking
- Private guided tours
- Traditional cultures
- Well being
Children are welcome at Remota. There's plenty for older children to do: bikes, horse rides, boat trips and exploring the hotel. The 'Soft' Programme is ideal for families. Younger children won’t be able to do as much, and you might feel that the design of the hotel is not that friendly for smaller kids. There are no family or connecting rooms, but all rooms can sleep 3, or (for a family of 4) you can request 2 adjacent rooms.
Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Cots Available, Extra Beds Available
Remota is located in Patagonia in the far south of Chile, just outside the town of Puerto Natales (the gateway to Torres del Paine National Park), and a 3- to 4-hour drive north of Punta Arenas.
Fly to Punta Arenas from Santiago (a 4-hour flight), or to El Calafate in Argentina. The hotel can arrange transfers from both airports (included in the rates when booking an all-inclusive programme).
There are near-hourly buses from Punta Arenas, or daily buses from El Calafate, to Puerto Natales.
If you want to be independent, you can hire a car and drive to the hotel, and even arrange your own excursions once you're there (book B&B or Half-Board rates). Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape. But our advice for most visitors is to take an all-inclusive package which includes airport transfers.
More on getting to Chile and getting around
- Punta Arenas 240.0 km PUQ
- El Calafate (Argentina) 255.0 km
- Beach 200.0 km
- Shops 1.0 km
- Restaurant 1.0 km