Generously built around three courtyards, with 10 airy rooms and suites, this adults-only haven is the epitome of subtle sophistication: lush palm leaves, ornate shutters, sleek rattan furniture, wooden ceiling fans, large comfy sofas and candle-lit nooks, dotted with nostalgic globetrotter curios reminiscent of a bygone era.
Delicious traditional Moroccan dishes are served on the huge sun-flooded roof terrace. And, at the touch of the button, the huge gold-framed mirror in the courtyard silently glides open to reveal the riad’s killer feature: a glorious hammam & spa. The serenity is only occasionally interrupted by the gentle splash of someone gliding into the pool, the gurgling sound of our sweet Moroccan mint tea being poured, or the muezzin’s hypnotic call to prayer in the far distance. This is a fabulous place for an escape à deux, or a very civilised house party.
- Incredibly elegant décor with lush touches that create a blissfully tranquil vibe
- Attentive, friendly staff. Every interaction is light-hearted and fun
- So cosy. We arrived to a warm pool, roaring fire and toasty suite
- The sublime in-house hammam & spa Les Bains de Tarabel
- Guest mobiles with pre-programmed essential numbers (so the team can rescue you and your newly purchased Berber rugs if you get lost in the souks)
- The steep, winding staircases to the rooms on the first floor (and the roof terrace) have no railings and can be a bit precarious for the elderly or unsure-footed
- There’s no bar, but your G&T is only a quick call away on your pre-programmed guest mobile
- Expensive, but worth the splurge
Best time to go
Make sure you check Ramadan dates before you book.
Our top tips
Note, animal lovers might find the lack of animal welfare distressing (snakes, macaques and horses in Djemaa el Fna, and donkeys around the souks).
- Boutique Hotel
- 10 rooms
- Breakfast + other meals on request
- No children under 16
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car not necessary
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
The riad’s 10 rooms and suites are elegant and supremely comfortable. Spacious and bright, with high ceilings and white, flowing curtains, all have tadelakt sinks or tubs, traditional zellige-style floor tiles in stunning grey patterns, exquisite antiques and wicker furniture. Each room is dotted with vintage travel memorabilia. Our Junior Suite had double showers, double sinks, a large tub, and underfloor heating throughout. Our fluffy towels smelled divine, as did the luxurious Ortigia toiletries. If you’re coming during the winter months when the nights can get a tad nippy, try to score the super-cosy Junior suite with two tubs and a fireplace.
- In room treatments available
- Safe box
We loved our breakfasts of scrumptious Moroccan pancakes, homemade yogurt with fresh strawberries, poached eggs, and croissants with seasonal jams. Don’t miss the sweet potato spread - it’s addictive. Snacks are available throughout the day.
Lunch and dinner need to be pre-booked and change daily. Expect yummy Moroccan and international dishes such as lamb tagine and pastilla, served on the large roof terrace, or in one of the two small lounges on the ground floor by the roaring fireplace on cooler days, overlooking the pool and the tree-lined courtyard. Vegetarian and vegan dishes are available on request.
There are lots of fantastic restaurants, bars and cafés within a short walk from the riad. Vegetarian dishes are relatively easy to come by in Marrakech, but vegans will need to do a bit more forward planning. Tarabel’s team can help with booking suitable eateries for you.
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- Restaurants nearby
- Get scrubbed, washed, creamed, kneaded and pampered in the gorgeous on-site hammam & spa
- Enjoy a G&T on the roof terrace with fabulous views across the medina - magical!
- Immerse yourself in the glorious shopping madness that is Djemaa el Fna, a 15-minute walk away
- Haggle your way through the souks
- For a quick and cool art fix, check out Maison de la Photographie
- Take a cooking class so you can replicate that perfect tagine back home
This is very much a grown-up hotel and children under 16 are not accepted unless you book the whole riad.
Riad Tarabel is located in the Dar El Bacha area of the medina.
Fly into Marrakech Menara, a 15-minute drive away. Airport transfers are included in the room rate and the staff will organise this for you. Check out the links below for a list of airlines.
Marrakech has good rail and bus connections to the rest of Morocco, including Casablanca and Agadir.
If you do want to hire a car (for your travels outside Marrakech), see our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Marrakesh Menara Airport 7.0 km
- Beach 184.0 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km