You might think these design credentials mean snooty staff. Not a bit. They're friendly and helpful, and will suggest car-free routes and secret spots to explore on your complimentary bicycle, or on foot if you prefer (it is 30 minutes' walk along the river to the Ponte Vecchio). Afterwards, kick off your shoes and slink across the manicured lawn to the groovy lounge, where an honesty bar sits among coffee tables strewn with architecture books and objets d'art. Or fix a fruit salad in your corian-topped kitchen (most lofts have their own) and swing in a hammock by the pool. Bliss.
- A haven of laid-back and tranquil minimalism away from the bustle of the city centre
- Lots of outside space: gorgeous gardens and a slimline pool - rare in Florence
- The young staff are dynamic and full of enthusiasm for the building
- Wonderful communal lounge with DVD/CD library, vast leather sofa and flickering fires in winter
- Super-cool contemporary interiors in a historic building
- Free bikes to borrow, including a couple of vintage models; there's a traffic-free cycle path into town
- It's a 30-minute walk from the city centre, but the trams make getting around quicker: you're 100m from the nearest tram stop, and three stops from the central station
- Some rooms are right next to the road, and expect some background traffic noise when sitting in the gardens and pool
- It's a 15-minute walk or a short bike/taxi/tram ride to the nearest restaurant (great for walking off a large Tuscan meal!)
- No 24-hour service - but the exceptional staff are on hand from 8am to 8pm
Best time to go
It's worth avoiding the main Fashion Show weeks and Pitti Fairs (January and June, dates vary) as flights and accommodation will be at a premium during these times.
Our top tips
- Design Hotel
- 10 bedrooms
- Breakfast only (walk to restaurants)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car not necessary
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Bicycles Available
There are 10 lofts of varying sizes. All have private entrances, accessed via the garden or the alley.
Our three-storey Suite Loft was stunning. Taking the wooden stairs to the first-floor lounge and kitchen, we were awed by walls of floor-to-ceiling windows with wonderful views over the Arno. The kitchen was small but artful - the grey walnut wood unit having been designed by Nardi himself. Another set of stairs lead to the funky bedroom, decorated with 70s bubble lamps. Across the hall, the cool all-white bathroom was gorgeous - large showerheads, fluffy towels and bathrobes, big sinks; even a remote-controlled skylight.
The other Suite Loft, equally breathtaking, comes with a hanging kingsize bed, three huge windows, and a natty kitchen which you can push out of the way (it concertinas into itself) - another of Nardi's creations.
On our second visit, we slept in the newest Superior Loft, an airy white space divided into sleeping and sitting areas by a glass partition, with white leather sofas, a three-metre-high gold mirror and a single lily corkscrewing out of a retro Ricard bottle.
Slightly smaller are the Deluxe Lofts, which include Room 7: a quirky space with a crazy polyester fringe curtain all the way around the bed, and artwork by Australian artist Simon Miller. One of the split-level Deluxe Lofts has a compact terrace with just enough space to seat two, which looked cute (and would suit smokers).
The Standard Lofts are the smallest of the bunch, but they're equally stylish and have more than enough space for two.
- Safe box
The delicious and varied breakfast buffet features fresh bread, pancakes, homemade cakes and jams, butter from the Mugello area, fresh fruit, Tuscan ham and cheeses, muesli, yoghurt and kefir. There's also a range of gluten free and vegan products. Choose to eat in the dining area or on the terrace in the garden with a view of the swimming pool. The a la carte service has eggs, quiche, salads, vegetable smoothies and kombucha. The presentation is lovely and the ingredients really fresh.
With two+ days' notice, other meals are available from the hotel's kitchen. Or the staff will happily recommend and book restaurants for you - and you can borrow the hotel's bikes to get there. We recommend sticking to the left bank of the river to avoid the crowds and find the more authentic Tuscan restaurants. On our latest visit, we enjoyed Il Santo Bevitore (buzzy atmosphere, and fantastic wild boar ragu with crispy cranberries), and the nearby Trattoria 4 Leoni (outdoor dining, classic Tuscan fare).
All of the lofts, apart from the Standards, have small kitchenettes, with a sink, a hob, a fridge, a coffee machine and a kettle (plus a microwave on request). They're not ideal for whipping up three-course meals, but are perfectly adequate for making sandwiches or snacks.
- Chef on request
- Coffee / tea making
- Dinner by arrangement
- Hob or stove
- Honesty bar
- Restaurants nearby
- Whether you prefer the high fashion of Ferragamo, Gucci and Prada (around Via Tornabuoni) or the artisan shops and funky boutiques of Borgo San Frediano and Via San Spirito, this über-glamorous city will happily relieve you of your euros
- Florence has a number of good flea markets where you can buy more unusual gifts and souvenirs
- The world-famous Boboli Gardens are a wonderful place to relax and escape the chaos of the city centre
- If you love shoe-shopping but can't justify buying any more pairs, click your heels over to Via Tornabuoni for a drool around the shoe museum of Salvatore Ferragamo, the Ferrari of Italian footwear
- Amazing statues, views of the Arno and jaw-dropping architectural wonders are around every corner, so leave time for a slow amble through the streets of Florence
- Enjoy an hour or two of pampered bliss in SoulSpace - a great spa just 15 minutes from the Ponte Vecchio
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
Children are welcome. There are no specific facilities for kids, but the garden, pool and in-room kitchenettes are a bonus for families.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
One Superior and one Suite Loft can accommodate a family of four using the double sofabed; all except Standards can fit at least one rollaway bed or baby cot. Extra beds incur a small charge, baby cots are free.
Cots Available, Extra Beds Available
Available on request
- Baby cot
- Baby bathtub
- High chairs
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming pool
Families Should Know:
Stairs don't have bannisters or railings, but most lofts are located on the ground floor.
- Shops: 5 minutes
Riva Lofts is on the banks of the River Arno, opposite Parco delle Cascine, 30 minutes' walk from the Ponte Vecchio. It's 100m from the nearest tram stop, and just three stops from the central station.
If you'd prefer to travel overland from the UK, you can reach Florence and Tuscany quite easily from London. Santa Maria Novella central station is a 30-minute walk from the hotel, or 15 minutes by tramway or taxi.
There are some flights to the small Florence Peretola airport (also known as Amerigo Vespucci). However, most people fly to Pisa Galileo. Rome and Milan airports are about three hours from Florence.
From the Airport
Riva Lofts is close to the airport, just by the A1 Highway entrance Firenze Nord, 6km away.
This is a good option if you have a car and want to visit Florence (whose centre is all but closed to non-resident drivers). The hotel has three spaces out front - available on a first-come-first-served basis. Alternatively, there is usually space in the blue-lined parking spaces, or you can book a space in a nearby private car park for an extra cost (EUR 20 per night). For car rental, see our car rental recommendations.
Full directions will be provided when you book through i-escape.
More on getting to Italy and getting around
- Florence-Peretola 6.0 km FLR
- Pisa Galileo 80.0 km PSA
- Beach 70.0 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.8 km