“Experience a side of Koh Samui few ever see at this picturesque hilltop hideaway”
Tranquility and relaxation take over from the moment of arrival, and a range of enticing treatments are on offer in the spa for a touch of bliss. Float away in one of the 2 infinity pools and take in the breathtaking views over the azure Gulf of Thailand, or revel in the solitude of the sandy beach. Then linger over delightful food at The Height restaurant, or Sun Moon Star (a terrace, a restaurant and a rooftop bar), where Thai specialities and European classics are delivered with equal aplomb.
- Secluded private villas, each with fabulous views
- Friendly, English-speaking staff give impeccable service with plenty of charm
- Breakfast is well worth getting up for, with pastries so good that the hotel has opened a bakery on the island
- Free minibus to Chaweng and Lamai beaches... although the hotel has a private bay which is tiny but stunning, and free of crowds and hawkers
- A lack of distinctive Thai design and colour, plus some reports suggest rooms look a bit dated
- The Jacuzzis in Jacuzzi Deluxe rooms have no hot water, and the bubbles are half-hearted
- The restaurants can be quite empty in the evenings, as most guests head to livelier areas at night-time, though the rooftop bar (Star) is proving popular
- Some feel the spa is overpriced, although the treatments are wonderful
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Beach Resort
- Restaurants and bars (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
- Pool Table
- Kayaks available
- Snorkelling equipment
The attention-grabbing views of most rooms make you wander straight onto the balcony with scarcely a glance at the interior. The horizon is infinite, and usually Klein blue; you might sink onto the outside sofa to take it in. The 80 rooms, which come in 10 different categories, are secondary, but no less pleasing.
The Deluxe Balcony, Jacuzzi Deluxe, and Ocean View Jacuzzi Deluxe (the differences are in the name), have an identical layout and are housed in a 3-storey building at the top of the resort. Then there are the private villas: Tropical, Ocean View, Panoramic Ocean View, and Ocean Front Pool - again self-explanatory, though tropical could apply to any of them. There are also a handful of large and luxurious Ocean Front Pool Suites, Ocean Front Duplex Pool Villas, and Ocean View Duplex Villas which are available on request only. These are for guests who really want to splash out and feature their own living area and huge pool; the Ocean Front Pool Suites are often taken by newlyweds. Villas all have private infinity pools and an outdoor terrace with private dining area, plus other luxuries like an outdoor rain shower, a huge terrazzo tub and dressing room, and a pre-loaded iPod with docking station; plus there's a butler is at your disposal 24 hours a day too.
Decor is in natural tones throughout. Kingsize beds are nice and firm, with Egyptian cotton sheets and a generous serving of pillows (although a pillow menu is available should these not be to your liking). A bench holds a large TV and DVD player, some prettily presented fruit and a Silavadee straw bag; a desk and mirror is at one end. The minibar is well equipped, and there's also a variety of teabags and fresh coffee. The large wardrobe is home to robes, slippers, flipflops and a safe.
Spacious ensuite bathrooms house a powerful shower, sunken bath and metallic bowl sinks plus large mirrors. Large bottles of shampoo, conditioner and a fragrant bodywash sit in an alcove in the shower, and large wooden shutters open onto the bedroom, allowing light to flood in. An aromatherapy burner, lit nightly by the turndown service, wafts out wonderful lemongrass vapours.
- Air conditioning
- Cd player
- Coffee tea making
- Cots Available
- Dvd player
- Extra beds
- Internet access
- Safe box
The Height restaurant is in the middle of the resort. Its high roof, retractable windows, cedarwood furniture and fresh flowers (not to mention the view!), make it an exceptionally pleasant place to eat. Warm breezes, good wine, delectable food and impeccable service make you wish the experience didn’t have to end - so make it last, with 3 courses, followed by coffee and liqueurs. The menu has a good balance between Thai and European favourites. Seafood is a speciality so, for starters, go for the succulent prawn tempura or chicken satay, served with spicy chilli and cucumber yoghurt. For main, we recommend gigantic king prawns in black pepper and garlic, which were cooked to perfection. We were less impressed by our medium-rare filet mignon, which was more medium than rare with an overpowering blue-cheese sauce. But the Thai classics such as red chicken curry and sautéed beef with oyster sauce were spot on. The Wine and Cigar Lounge has an extensive wine list that includes good vintages from all over the world.
Opened in 2014, is the trio of dining spots called Sun Moon Star. Sun is the terrace by the second infinity pool, with stunning views to the horizon. Moon is open throughout the day, and serves a menu of international and traditional Thai cuisine, again, the seafood here is a speciality. The rooftop bar, Star, is the perfect spot for a sundowner..
Breakfast, served in Moon, provides a leisurely start to the day. Smooth coffee, delicious fresh breads and pastries, eggs and bacon or omelette, pancakes with maple syrup. If that's all too much there's a selection of tropical fruit or you could do things the Thai way with sticky rice and mango. If early morning conversations aren’t your thing, grab a local paper and read about the latest political shenanigans, listen to the gentle music playing in the background, or just look out to sea and daydream.
- Children meals
- Coffee tea making
- Room service
- Find balance for mind, body and spirit at the Wellness Spa. There are 5 treatment rooms - Soul, Sense, Serenity, Sila (beauty) and Spirit - whose names reflect the focus of the therapies available. Qualified practitioners offer wonderful facials, aromatherapy massages and traditional Thai treatments, including a 4-hand massage!
- Lose yourself in yoga, with classes available in the spa area on request
- Get out and explore the island: either hire a moped or take advantage of the resort’s free shuttle to Lamai and Chaweng beaches for sea sports by day and a great party scene by night
- Check out the phallic Hin Ta and Hin Ya (Grandfather and Grandmother) rocks where, legend has it, star-crossed lovers drowned themselves together rather than suffer their families’ disapproval of their relationship
- Go island hopping by boat around the local archipelago and pay your respects to the 12m-high Big Buddha, on the north side of the island
- Top up your tan on the deserted beach or by the pool, then borrow a movie from the resort’s library to watch in your room
- Go snorkelling straight from the beach; the hotel has equipment to borrow
- Step back in time for a taste of old Samui, before the rampant development of recent years, at the pretty village of Hua Thanon
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Pool table
- Well being
Koh Samui is a very children-friendly island, with safe beaches and watersports available. But this is perhaps not the most suitable hotel for families, and the atmosphere is more romantic.
For safety reasons children under 12 are not allowed to stay in a Pool Villa unless a waiver is signed by parents upon check-in. Children below 5 stay for free in parents' room but compulsory breakfast will be charged per day.
Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
All rooms and villas can fit an extra bed and babycot.
Babysitting available by arrangement.
Baby cots available on request.
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
The restaurants serve child-friendly dishes, and there is a 50% discount on meals for children.
- Airport: 45 minutes (Koh Samui)
Join for free and get...
Exclusive deals at our favourite boutique hotels, B&Bs and rentals
- Award-winning booking service, with helpful consultants on hand
- Price-match at all 1,500 properties in our portfolio
- Plus, in most cases, a little extra gift when you arrive...