The atmosphere here is totally relaxed and serene. The villas are set by a quiet village off the beaten track near the charming town of Induruwa, an hour and a half from Colombo, which enjoys a very peaceful and traditional existence. Kick off your shoes, drink in the tropical vista, dip your toes in the pool and dine alfresco on sumptuous seafood – we’re back there in our heads already.
- The architect-designed villas have a wonderfully airy contemporary colonial style
- You can rent by the suite, separate villas or all together – ideal for a group of friends or families
- The fabulous food whipped up by the French-trained chef
- The beach-front location is tranquil and unspoiled
- The fun, social vibe – as it is three villas together there are plenty of opportunities to mingle with other guests
- The pool is shared by all three villas
- The villas are close to the main road so there is some traffic noise
- The sea in front of the villas can be too rough for swimming at certain times of year
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Villas
- 3 villas for 4-8
- All meals on request
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car not necessary
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Laundry Service
The three villas are designed in contemporary Asian style, with modern facilities and cool, airy interiors. Helpfully, you can book by the suite, by the villa or two or three villas together. All bedrooms and suites (bar the twin in Villa Araliya) have spacious balconies overlooking the Indian Ocean. Furnishings are sourced from South and South East Asia, including handmade bedspreads from India and Sri Lanka, beautiful custom-made furniture and locally-sourced antiques. Spacious living and dining areas open to the beach or the infinity-edged pool.
Sagara Villa (3 double rooms, sleeps 6) has 3 large double suites, including 2 luxe first-floor King Suites. The ground-floor Garden Suite boasts a four-poster bed and tropical outdoor shower. The living room has louvred windows; steps lead directly to the beach. The dining area seats up to ten people at a solid Mara-wood designer table; the kitchen is just next door.
Nisala Villa (2 suites, sleeps 4) has 2 first-floor Double Suites decorated with paintings by local artists. Outside is an open-air shower. The large open-plan living and dining area (also with ten-seater table) has louvred French doors opening out onto the pool. The kitchen and bar are complemented by a wonderful veranda with lounger chairs.
Villa Araliya (4 double/twin rooms, sleeps 8) has two King Suites upstairs, with Burmese teak floors and local art work. The third Double Room downstairs has an ensuite bathroom with outdoor shower. The fourth bedroom has twin beds and French windows opening onto the azure pool (only available for whole villa bookings). A fabulous carving of Frangipani flowers hangs in the mustard- and orange-hued living area. The dining room table seats up to 12.
- Safe box
- Washing machine
Meals are prepared to preferences and can be taken inside, by the pool, in the lush gardens or even at a table on the beach. The French-trained chef and his assistants will take your orders from the menu each day before visiting the market for fresh, local ingredients. There’s a blackboard of daily specials, too.
Dinner might be grilled garlic prawns, Sri Lankan curry, squid salad with tom yam soup, or a crab curry feast with murunga leaves, kade paan and vegetables. For lunch, choose from seafood snacks, club sandwiches or beetroot soup, followed by banana fritters or grilled pineapple.
Breakfast includes tropical fruit platters, juices, eggs and toast, or tradition dishes like string hoppers or rotis served with curry and sambal. We loved the delicious banana, mango and coconut water fruit smoothies.
If you feel like eating out, there's a variety of restaurants 10 minutes' away in Bentota, ranging from family-run seafood places to smart hotel-based Italians.
- Dinner by arrangement
- Full kitchen
- In house cook
- Kids' meals
- Lunch by arrangement
- Shopping service
- Vegetarian options
- In and around Induruwa you can try your hand at tennis, as well as visiting temples and enjoying river cruises
- Visit the area's world-famous turtle hatcheries, which play a vital role in conservation – help release baby turtles into the ocean by day or bury turtle eggs by night
- Visit Bentota to buy beach clothes, jewellery and bags, or head to laid-back Hikkaduwa, 40 minutes away, for paintings, jewellery and leather goods
- Rent surf boards for the day and learn to surf, or go diving – staff can arrange underwater safaris
- Visit the acclaimed mask-makers and wood-carvers of Ambalangoda, 15 minutes away
- Take a day trip to historic Galle, also an hour away; built as a Dutch fortress, it's now a thriving town with preserved colonial architecture and quaint shops selling antiques, art and custom-made jewellery
- Sri Villas can also arrange coookery courses or yoga – ask when booking
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Cooking classes
- Historical sites
- Scuba diving
- Traditional cultures
Once you've got through the flight, Sri Lanka is heaven for families. These 3 villas are ideal and there are lots of lovely places to visit nearby. Hop in a tuk-tuk to visit a turtle hatchery, or, if you're lucky, you might see them on the beach.
Family friendly accommodation:
Villa Araliya is the largest villa, with 4 bedrooms (sleeping up to 8). It has the only twin room, which is ideal for children. All villas can take a baby cot and an extra bed.
Cots Available, Extra Beds Available
Babysitting can be arranged on request.
Baby listening and monitors (on request).
- Baby cots
- Car seats
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
The chef and his team can prepare club sandwiches, salads, ice cream and the like for less adventurous tastebuds, or can prepare any special requests for children of all ages. All villas have kitchens. You can also eat out in Bentota, a 10-minute tuk-tuk ride away.
Kids Activities on site:
- Lap & baby pool
- Pool toys
- Volley ball net
- Cricket bats
- Boogie boards
- DVD library
- Board games
- Lush tropical gardens
- Direct beach access
- Crab hunting
- Bonfire building
- Kite flying
- Birthday parties
Kids Activities nearby:
- Turtle hatcheries
- Surfing, diving and water-skiing in Bentota
- Tuk-tuk rides to nearby villages
Families Should Know:
Villas have direct access to the beach through the communal areas but not from bedrooms. The pool isn't fenced. At certain times of year, the sea is too rough for swimming.
- Airport: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Hospital: 30 minutes
Sri Villas is located 10 minutes south of Bentota on a quiet beach near Induruwa, on the south west coast of Sri Lanka.
Colombo Bandaranaike (100km) is the closest international airport.
From the Airport
Sri Villas can arrange airport transfers. Alternatively, you can take the scenic coastal train from Colombo to Bentota (although this is much slower) and take a taxi from the station. You can also fly to Bentota from Colombo on Sri Lankan Airlines' internal air taxi - request when booking.
The staff can arrange cars with drivers for day trips. You can also use one of the many local tuk-tuks for short journeys.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Sri Lanka and getting around
- Colombo Bandaranaike International 100.0 km CMB
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 6.0 km
- Restaurant 3.0 km