Cool, contemporary self-catering apartments (sleeping 2-6) located in a former convent in Tavira’s old town, close to the Ria Formosa’s best beaches”
These apartments are a dream for families or savvy travellers looking for longer stays. Passionate owner Miguel, who also runs similarly stylish apartments in Porto, has chosen a calming, understated design: white and minimalist with splashes of colour and designer pieces. Each apartment has two bedrooms, a fully-equipped kitchen for self-catering, a private terrace and access to two enticing saltwater swimming pools. We just loved the feeling of living like locals, popping to the bakery for morning pastries, relaxing in the shade of our pergola, and strolling into Tavira to browse its craft shops and try its trendy restaurants and bars. This is a precious slice of authentic Algarve.
- Contemporary cool at its best; the apartments are stylish, spotless and brimming with design surprises
- Great value for money - rates are per apartment and include self-catering basics
- Plenty of space to relax: on your private terrace or on a sunlounger by one of the two saltwater pools
- Ideal for families and longer stays, with two bedrooms, a full kitchen and all the mod cons
- Excellent location, a short walk from Tavira’s old town and a short taxi boat ride from some of our favourite beaches in the Ria Formosa
- A EUR 250 security deposit must be paid before arrival
- There's no formal reception, but they offer a meet-and-greet service on your arrival day and owner Miguel is only a phone call away if you need anything
- Kitchens are compact but cleverly designed
- The views of surrounding salt flats aren't the prettiest
Best time to go
Unlike other cities in the Algarve, like Faro or Portimão, Tavira has a large permanent population, so most restaurants and cafes remain open during the winter.”
Our top tips
- Boutique Villa
- 2 apartments for 2-4
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
The apartments are tucked away in the Salinas wing of a historic former convent, which now functions as a multi-residential complex. Inside, they mirror each other in layout, each with two bedrooms, an open-plan living-dining-kitchen area, and a private terrace.
Inside, expect a whitewashed backdrop offset by striking pops of colour - electric blue, tangerine, brilliant green - in the fabrics, plants and artwork. The interiors are by famous designer De La Espada, and the furnishings incorporate lots of natural materials, like solid oak and stone - we particularly liked the wooden ladder bookshelf in our living room.
The light-filled bedrooms have cool terracotta floors, which are handmade locally, bright white walls and super-comfy beds dressed in crisp Indian cotton sheets. The bathrooms are gorgeous, too, with white marble flooring, a rain shower in one apartment and a bathtub/ shower combo in the other, plush towels, bathrobes and local Portuguese bath products.
- Air conditioning
- Bluetooth sound system
- Satellite TV
- Washing machine
The open-plan kitchens are compact but cleverly designed, with all the appliances and utensils you need to whip up a meal. You'll find a hob, an oven, a fridge, a dishwasher and plenty of cooking equipment.
All the basics are provided (oil, salt, pepper, washing-up liquid etc), as well as a welcome hamper of local cookies, milk and a lovely bottle of traditional tawny port. There’s great coffee, too, which you make in your Nespresso machine. For groceries, there are a few supermarkets an easy walk from the convent.
If you want to eat out, you don’t have to travel far to find a good restaurant - a reliable list of recommendations is provided by Miguel in the information pack. We recommend Nó de Gosto or Pausa, both well known for their excellent tapas, wine and hospitality. Or try O Castelo for sumptuous seafood, mouthwatering steaks and a flavourful house wine that's loved by the locals - note that the restaurant is extremely popular so booking ahead is advised.
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Restaurants nearby
- Explore beautiful Tavira: sit at one of the many cafes and bars and take in the historic townscape or, at low tide, watch the fisherman searching for clams in the shallows
- Head to the Camera Obscura – an old water tower-turned-observatory which sends you on a 360-degree voyage around Tavira, showing the city in sparkling clarity
- Take a day trip to one of the most pristine beaches in the Algarve: Ilha de Tavira, which is easily accessible from the town by ferry
- Explore the natural beauty of Ria Formosa National Park, recently elected one of the Seven Natural Wonders of Portugal
- Visit the Castro Marim salt pans, on the banks of the Guadiana River. Here, sea salt is collected without machinery or chemicals. Take a guided tour, observe wildlife or enjoy a mineral mud bath or a floating salt bath
- Foodies can try a cooking class in Tavira, visit the Cork Factory in São Brás de Alportel for some wine tasting, or sample and discover how olive oil is made at Monterosa Olive Oil Farm
- Explore the beaches and countryside on a horse riding trip around the natural lagoons of Tavira
- Active travellers will find numerous cycling paths, hiking routes, golf courses, and plenty of waterways for kayaking in Tavira
Activities on site or nearby include:
The Algarve is a superb family destination, and Tavira works well for children. Sights in the old town are all easily walkable, there are shops and restaurants galore, and the airport is only 30 minutes away by taxi.
These self-catering apartments have everything a family would need to make themselves at home; with open-plan kitchens and private terraces for outdoor meals as well as plenty of cooking equipment and beach gear. There aren't any special in-house activities for children, but kids will enjoy splashing around in the large saltwater pools and there are plenty of other fun activities on offer in the area.
Family friendly accommodation:
All apartments have two bedrooms (one double, one twin), plus a sofabed in their living rooms for an additional two guests. There are two bathrooms in each unit, one with a bathtub and shower and one with shower only. Baby cots and highchairs can be added to all apartments on request.
Kids Activities on site:
- Shops: 5 minutes
- Hospital: 30 minutes
- Airport:: 30 minutes
Tavira Boutique Apartments are located in the historic coastal town of Tavira, just metres away from the old town.
Faro (40km) is the closest airport.
From the Airport
There's an airport transfer service (extra cost), or you can travel by public transport: take a taxi or bus into central Faro, then catch the local train or bus to Tavira.
If you want to hire a car, see our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Faro Airport 40.0 km
- Beach 4.0 km
- Shops 0.5 km
- Restaurant 0.3 km