Peaceful countryside retreat with 9 quirky rooms, close to the magnificent beaches of the Alentejo coast”
Their journey is a familiar one, but few achieve such levels of perfection. They started by building themselves a house alongside 2 guest rooms – all in glass, timber and natural stone. Gradually they expanded, adding a cool blue pool and finally turning their home into additional rooms, including 2 glamorous suites. On the way, they collected a small menagerie: 2 dogs, an adopted cat called Mo, and a family of donkeys – including Rosa the matriarch, whose muzzle inspired the Teima logo that you’ll find printed on deck chairs, embroidered on bathrobes and stenciled onto the entrance gates. The result is a restful sanctuary with tranquil gardens, a deck overlooking a duck pond, lemon and orange trees, and a comfy lounge. You could happily spend most of your time here, but it would be a pity to miss out on the wild beauty, paradise beaches and dramatic trails of the Alentejo’s Costa Vicentina, just 5-10 minutes' drive away.
- A peaceful rural location within easy reach of some of Portugal’s most beautiful beaches
- Romantic rooms in summery colours, all with generous outdoor space, bespoke furniture and original artwork
- A laid-back ambiance, with plenty of spots to unwind: poolside loungers, hanging chairs by the pond, a guest lounge warmed by a wood-burner
- Breakfasts are a real treat
- Luísa and Paul are perfectionists – love and care have gone into everything from the pristine cotton sheets to the pretty tableware
- A car is essential for getting here and exploring
- The restaurant only serves breakfast, you'll need to head out for other meals (the nearest restaurant is 4km away)
- Please note, no check-ins before 15:30pm or after 10pm
- This is more of a grown-up retreat, there are no twin rooms and children under 8 are not permitted
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Guesthouse
- 9 rooms
- 8 years old and older welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
The 9 beautiful rooms are colour-themed and all slightly different. Each is an expression of Luisa’s passion for interior design – a clever combination of commissioned art, contemporary and vintage furniture, vivid shades and natural materials, with a dash of quirkiness.
Turquesa, Coral, Lime and Tangerina are the light and spacious Pool View Rooms: a row of 4, each with sliding glass doors opening onto a private slice of a long, shaded veranda. Branco, Azul and Cinza are the Garden View Rooms: slightly more private, with large timber decks screened by foliage and furnished with sofas, parasols and deck chairs. We stayed in Cinza with its soft grey palette and lofty shower room with polished cement walls and aquamarine mosaic tiles.
Amber and Agua are the suites. Amber has a separate lounge which can be turned into an additional twin bedroom so is best for families; Agua is an indulgent space - the size of an apartment - decorated in blue tones. Both have stone fireplaces and open onto huge terraces with sofas, deckchairs, daybeds and tables. The suites also have tea- and coffee-making facilities.
- Air conditioning
- Ipod dock
- Satellite TV
Pre-order breakfast the night before from a menu which includes artful dishes of fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, toast, croissants, cheeses, quince marmalade and homemade jams, juices and cereals. You can choose to eat in the airy dining room, on the terrace or even by the pool.
Every afternoon throughout the year, a hot or cold drink will be delivered to your room along with homemade cake. Aside from this there are no other meals on offer. You'll need to drive out for lunch or dinner; the nearest local restaurant is at Brejao (4km; book in advance), but there are lots of good fish and seafood places to eat in Odexeice or Zambujeira do Mar - Luísa can make recommendations.
- Room service
- Just hang out: in the gardens, on your terrace, by the pool, or in the cushioned chairs that swing lazily over the duck pond. There are woods to explore, a boat you can borrow and friendly donkeys to stroke; massages with a visiting therapist can be arranged, too
- Head for one of the local beaches. Within a 5-10 minute drive, the vast beach at Odeceixe is one of the finest in Portugal; Amalia, Monte Clerigo, Amoreria, Arrifana and Zambujeira do Mar are also close, ideal for surfing and all very beautiful
- Walk a section of the Rota Vincentina. One of Europe’s classic coast-path routes, it’s an exhilarating trail of rugged cliffs, Atlantic views and spectacular beaches
- Drive, walk or cycle up to the lonely cliffs of Cabo Sardao, where storks nest on pinnacles of rock in spring and early summer
- Take a day trip down to Sagres for surf beaches and panoramic views from the fort on Cape St Vincent, the Algarve's most westerly point
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Plantlife / flora
- Shopping / markets
- Well being
- Wine tasting
Only children 8 years old and over are welcome, as they prefer to preserve the chilled atmosphere. Children are also not actively encouraged outside the school holidays.
Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
One of the suites, Amber, has a lounge which can be turned into a twin bedroom for 2 children aged 8 or over; it's also the only room with a bathtub. The Pool View rooms can accommodate a rollaway bed for a child aged 8 or over
Available by arrangement
Teima is in the south-west of Portugal's Alentejo region, between Sines and Lagos. The nearest town is Sao Teotonio, and the Atlantic coast is a 4km drive.
The nearest airport is Faro (104km); you could also fly into Lisbon (218km). Both are served by a wide range of scheduled, budget and charter flights - click on the links below for a list of airlines.
From the Airport
The rural location means you'll need a car to get here and get around - see our car-rental recommendations. It's a 90-minute drive from Faro and a 2.5-hour drive from Lisbon.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Portugal and getting around
- Faro Airport 104.0 km FAO
- Lisbon Airport 218.0 km LIS
- Beach 17.5 km
- Shops 6.0 km
- Restaurant 6.0 km