“On the wooded island of Evia, far from the madding crowds, a sleek, friendly, beachfront hotel perfect for couples and families alike”
Experience the simple pleasures that this place offers: clear sea water and sunbeds on smooth pebbles, fresh seafood from the beach restaurant, indulgent spa treatments. Best of all though, parents can relax here as little ones have a ball. No question, Thalatta is a dream for families. There are daily events, movie nights and games organised by the unfailingly kind and caring team. And, once the kids are in bed, dinner is served on the stunning upper deck, gazing on the distant scatter of lights from the Sporades.
- An idyllic location between forest and sea, and a lovely base for natural pursuits: sea swimming, horse riding, biking and hiking
- Bedrooms are spacious and special, especially those with full ocean views
- Run by a young and friendly team
- Just a 2.5-hour drive from Athens via a bridge, so no need for ferries
- 4 restaurants serving everything from healthy a la carte dishes for half-board, to mezes on the beach and gourmet adult-only dinners
- The beach has pebbles rather than sand, and is hit by seasonal winds (especially in August)
- Some find the pool area too kid-friendly (although the children's pool is partly separated from the main one)
- The nearest life (a village with shops, cafes and bars) is a 30-minute walk away, but there are 4 restaurants on site and attractive half-board rates
- If you're coming outside of peak season (Jun-Aug) you might find that some restaurants and services are closed
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurants and bars open daily
- All ages welcome
- Closed: 1 Jun 2020 - 30 Jun 2020
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
- Personal trainer
- Beach library
There are 50 rooms at Thalatta, all stylish, sleek and spacious, with cool stone floors and sliding glass doors. There's space for sofabeds and tables, the bed linen is excellent quality and toiletries are Geneva Guild. Ask for a room on the south side of the hotel for uninterrupted sea and mountain views.
The Junior Suites on the ground or upper floor are the quietest. Ours was perfect for our small family, with plenty of space inside and a lovely terrace with table and chairs overlooking the sea and mountains in the distance. If your clan is a little bigger, there are 3 Family Suites, located on the lower ground floor, which have private gardens.
For added luxury, the Executive Suite, set on the ground floor, boasts 2 private balconies with forest and sea views. Top of the pile is the Thalatta Maisonette, which has its own private pool and balcony. It's enormous inside, with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms - there's an option to book one of these rooms individually as the Thalatta Suite.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- Nespresso coffee machine
- Safe box
A generous breakfast buffet is included in the room rate, and lasts until a leisurely 11am. It includes fresh Greek staples that change from day to day, and is served on the stylish decked terrace alongside the pool.
In peak season you can book a half-board stay, which includes a choice of specific dishes from the main a la carte menu at Asado Restaurant each evening; the food is fresh and enjoyable, with an array of international favourites and just about every type of sweet delight you can think of on offer. We tucked into fresh sea bream, which was grilled to perfection.
For something a little more authentic, head to open-air restaurant Meze, set on the beach and open during the day. Here, you'll be treated to Greek plates of mostly fresh fish and seafood, among other favourites, and there's a foodie expert on-hand to talk you through the menus. On the hotel’s upper deck, by an open fire, is the adult-only Baxe, with just 5 candlelit tables (be sure to book). It has a bar for zippy cocktails, and dishes that are loyal to the Slow Food culture. Dine under the stars as the waves hit the shore, or, for maximum romance, the hotel can set up a table on the beach itself.
- Children's meals
- Room service
- Bask by the pool, then amble down to the beach - the 2 are linked by a boardwalk that’s lined by flares at night
- Bikes are for hireband there’s horse riding in the forest. Complimentary activities include morning and sunset Pilates and jogs along the beach to the village
- From its fertile north to its mountainous south, Evia is a beautiful and unexploited island. Drive to the 15th-century Galataki Monastery, now a nuns’ convent, 200m above sea level with breathtaking views. Or Saint David's monastery in Rovies, founded in 1540 on the site of a church destroyed by the Turks
- 25km south is the pretty fishing village of Limni: steep cobbled streets and a waterfront lined with cafes
- Bring walking boots: the ravine of Boulovinenas is a 3km walk away; hardy hikers can continue along the river. You can also hike to seasonal waterfalls at Drimonas, on a signed adventure trail
- Relax in the hotel’s spa; their range of massages, facials and aromatherapy products are excellent
- There are weekly movie nights, with giant beanbags under the stars
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Beach football
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Mountain biking
- Plantlife / flora
- Private guided tours
- Well being
- Wine tasting
Thalatta warmly welcomes children of all ages. Various equipment is available to borrow and babysitters can be booked. There are special mealtimes for kids, healthy dining options, and a nightly kids’ movie enables parents to eat on their own. The children’s pool is large and shallow, and during peak season is monitored by a lifeguard from 8am onwards. There’s also a daily kids' club staffed by a team of 'animators' for kids over 4, a games room and a ‘Magic Forest’ play area. Older kids can learn how to sail and horse ride.
Family friendly accommodation:
Double Rooms have space for a baby cot. Junior Suites have L-shaped sofas, which can be made up as 2 extra beds for kids, or there is space for baby cots. Executive Suites and Thalatta Suites have double sofabeds for 1-2 kids, or space for baby cots. Note that all of these rooms have shower bathrooms and are open-plan.
Family Suites have a double bedroom, a twin bedroom, a separate living area with a sofabed for 1-2 kids or space for a baby cot (there is also a Family Suite with an additional single room for a nanny). The Thalatta Suite Maisonette has 3 double/twin bedrooms, enormous living areas and a private pool, so is basically family heaven!
- Baby cots
- High chairs
- Night lights
- Baby baths
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
A fabulous kids’ club for 4+ year olds, supervised by a dedicated ‘animation team’ and running daily from 10am until 2pm and then 6pm until 11pm. There are 4 scheduled activities every day based on that week's theme, such as the Greek myths. Expect pool and beach games, cooking, game playing, story telling, puppet shows, arts, crafts, visits to the horses, and evening cartoons and movies. Greek and English-speaking staff are well-organised and exceptionally kind and caring
There are early meals for children and a children’s dinner buffet that includes healthy options, from grilled vegetables to smoothies. The Snow White kitchen is where they dine, enjoy cooking classes and is also a space for the animator team to stage plays, puppet performances and tell stories
Kids Activities on site:
- Kids pool
- Dedicated Magic Forest space (an eco-friendly playground) among pine trees with wooden tables, a playground, organised team activities
- Kids pool
- Games room
- Kids DVDs
- Kids books / toys
- Cartoon and movie nights
- Art lab
Kids Activities nearby:
- Sailing lessons
- Horse riding
- Boat trips
Families Should Know:
The pools are not fenced. The beach is pebbly, not sandy. The last hour of the drive from Athens is on extremely winding roads and is best driven in daylight.
- Airport: 2.5-3 hours (Athens 157km)
- Hospital: 20 minutes (Mantoudi)
- Shop: 5 minutes
Thalatta Seaside Hotel is on Agia Anna Beach at the northeast end of Evia island, on the Aegean Sea in Greece. It's a 2.5-hour drive from Athens.
Fly into Athens (157km). It's a 2.5-hour journey from the airport to the hotel. No need for a ferry: there are 2 bridges to the mainland. The hotel offers a private taxi service for max 3-4 people, but you'll want a car, as it's 2km to the nearest village Agkali, and this island is well worth exploring. See our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be set to you when you book through i-escape.
- Athens 157.0 km ATH
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 2.0 km
- Restaurant 2.0 km