“On the wooded island of Evia, far from the madding crowds, a sleek, friendly, beachfront hotel perfect for couples and families alike”
We're yet to visit ourselves but can't wait to experience the simple pleasures that this place offers: clear sea water and sunbeds on smooth pebbles, fresh seafood from the beach restaurant, early morning yoga and sunset Pilates. Best of all though, parents can relax here as little ones have a ball. No question, Thalatta is a dream for families. There are daily events, movie nights and games organised by “an unfailingly kind and caring team”, say past guests. And, once the kids are in bed, dinner is served on the stunning upper deck, gazing on the distant scatter of lights from the Sporades.
- An idyllic location between forest and sea, and a lovely base for natural pursuits: sea swimming, horse riding, biking and hiking
- Bedrooms are spacious and special, especially those with full ocean views
- Run by a young and attentive team
- Just a 2.5-hour drive from Athens via a bridge, so no need for ferries
- 3 restaurants serving everything from healthy buffets for half-board, to mezes on the beach and gourmet adult-only dinners
- The beach has pebbles rather than sand and seasonal winds (especially in August)
- Some find the pool area too kid-friendly (although the children's pool is partly separated from the main one)
- You'll want a car to get here and explore the area
- The nearest life (a village with shops, cafes and bars) is a 30-minute walk away, but there are 3 restaurants on site and attractive half-board rates
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurants and bars open daily
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
- Personal trainer
- Beach library
- Beach volleyball
There are 50 rooms at Thalatta, all stylish, sleek and spacious, with cool stone floors and sliding glass doors. There's space for sofabeds and tables, and the mattresses, bed linen and toiletries are said to be top-drawer.
Rooms on the first floor are the quietest, and most have a full or partial sea view. Junior Suites and above have enormous LCD TVs with DVD players, Nespresso machines and a daily turn-down service. Rooms on the ground and lower ground floors are considered the most suitable for families, and some have kitchenettes.
See Rates for full details of each room category.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- Safe box
A generous breakfast buffet is included in the room rate, and lasts until a leisurely 11am. It includes fresh Greek staples that change from day to day, and is served on the stylish decked terrace alongside the pool.
You can book a half-board stay, with daily Greek-Mediterranean buffets laid out by the pool each evening; the food is fresh and enjoyable and a chef is on-hand to talk you through the menus. Alternatively, there are 2 a la carte restaurants.
On the beach is open-air grill bar Meze, specialising in small Greek plates of fresh fish and seafood. On the hotel’s upper deck, by an open fire, is the adult-only Baxe, with just 5 candlelit tables (be sure to book). It has a bar for zippy cocktails, and dishes that are loyal to the Slow Food culture. Dine under the stars as the waves hit the shore. For something even more romantic, book a table on the beach itself: white napery, candles and stars.
- Children meals
- Room service
- Bask by the pool, then amble down to the beach - the 2 are linked by a boardwalk that’s lined by flares at night. Beach chairs have “press for service” buttons so you can be as idle as you wish
- Bikes are for hire, the cookery lessons are praised, and there’s horse riding in the forest. Complimentary activities include morning yoga, sunset Pilates, basketball and volleyball on the beach. Forest jogging is fun and free
- The hotel yacht offers day cruises to the gorgeous sand beaches of Skiathos, and to more rugged Skopelos
- From its fertile north to its mountainous south, Evia is a beautiful and unexploited island. Drive to the 15th-century Galataki Monastery, now a nuns’ convent, 200m above sea level with breathtaking views. Or Saint David's monastery in Rovies, founded in 1540 on the site of a church destroyed by the Turks
- 12km south is the pretty fishing village of Limni: steep cobbled streets and a waterfront lined with cafes
- Bring walking boots: the ravine of Boulovinenas is a 3km walk away; hardy hikers can continue along the river. You can also hike to seasonal waterfalls at Drimonas, on a signed adventure trail
- Relax in the hotel’s spa. Their range of massages and aromatherapy products comes in for praise
- There are weekly movie nights, with giant beanbags under the stars
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Beach football
- Beach volleyball
- Boat trips
- Cooking classes
- Historical sites
- Mountain biking
- Plantlife / flora
- Private guided tours
- Well being
- Wine tasting
Thalatta warmly welcomes children of all ages. Various equipment is available to borrow and babysitters can be booked. There are special mealtimes for kids, healthy dining options, and a nightly kids’ movie enables parents to eat on their own. The children’s pool is huge, shallow, and monitored by a lifeguard from 8am on. There’s also a daily kids' club staffed by a team of 'animators' for kids over 4, games room and a ‘Magic Forest’ play area. Older kids can learn how to sail and horse ride.
Family friendly accommodation:
Double Rooms have space for a baby cot. Superior Rooms and Junior Suites have an L-shaped sofa, which can be made up as as 2 extra beds for kids, or there is space for baby cots. Executive Suites and Thalatta Suites have a double sofabed for 1-2 kids, or space for baby cots. Note that all of these rooms have a shower bathroom and are open-plan.
Family Suites have a double bedroom, a twin bedroom, a separate living area with a sofabed for 1-2 kids or space for a baby cot (there is also a Family Suite with an additional single room for a nanny). The Thalatta Suite Maisonette has 3 double/twin bedrooms, enormous living areas and a private pool, so is basically family heaven!
Baby monitors to borrow, that have video cameras and work on WiFi
- Baby cots
- High chairs
- Night lights
- Baby baths
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
A fabulous kids’ club for 4+ year olds, supervised by a dedicated ‘animation team’ and running daily starting from 10am until 730pm. There are 4 scheduled activities every day based on that week's theme, such as the Greek myths. Expect pool and beach games, cooking, game playing, story telling, puppet shows, arts, crafts, visits to the horses, and evening cartoons and movies. Greek and English-speaking staff are well-organised and exceptionally kind and caring
There are early meals for children and a children’s dinner buffet that includes healthy options, from grilled vegetables to smoothies. The Snow White kitchen is where they dine, enjoy cooking classes and is also a space for the animator team to stage plays, puppet performances and tell stories
Kids Activities on site:
- Kids pool
- Dedicated Magic Forest space (an eco-friendly playground) among pine trees with wooden tables, Indian tents, a playground, organised team activities
- Kids pool
- Games room
- Kids DVDs
- Kids books / toys
- Cartoon and movie nights
- Art lab
Kids Activities nearby:
- Sailing lessons
- Horse riding
- Boat trips
Families Should Know:
The pools are not fenced. The beach is pebbly, not sandy. The last hour of the drive from Athens is on winding roads.
- Airport: 2.5 hours (Athens 157km)
- Hospital: 20 minutes (Mantoudi)
- Shop: 15 minutes