“Gorgeous, colourful rooms - plus an exceptional restaurant and rum bar - on an extraordinary cliffside location just outside Negril; a true haven for couples”
The exotic rustic look hasn’t dated since the hotel's opening in 1993. And rather like other Island Outpost hotels, feels like staying with very gracious hosts - from the exotic Ciffhanger cocktail on arrival to being invited to come behind the bar and help yourself. The food is wonderful, especially if you opt for the private cave dining experience. There is plenty to see if you want to explore the area, but you might not bother. And when you do have to leave, the superb service, tranquillity and blissful views will stay with you for a very long time indeed.
- One of the Island Outpost collection, so you get amazingly unobtrusive and friendly service - no corporate uniforms here
- Colourful, daring-to-be-different décor makes a change from hushed tones of bamboo or white
- Our breakfast was the best we tasted on the island during our 2014 revisit
- Location - pretty gardens, dazzling sea views, decks set up for perfect sunset watching, and the comfiest sun beds
- No children allowed (except in the private Clandestino Villa) - this is couples' haven
- Not ideal for those who suffer from vertigo, as there are many unprotected drops into the sea
- Booze cruises from nearby hotels may occasionally break the spell by mooring in the bay for snorkelling - you may be bothered by music and nudity, but they don't stay long
- Step ladders into the sea can be tricky to negotiate: you need to be nimble footed (but there is always the pool...)
- A lengthy disclaimer makes daunting reading on arrival, but you have to sign it to go through the magic door
- The décor may not be to everyone’s taste, and there are no twin rooms
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 11 suites & cottages + 1 villa
- All inclusive
- Over 16s only (except in the Clandestino Villa)
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
- Bicycles Available
There's an unpretentious, homemade feel here, and nothing is too slick or formulaic. There's a range of accommodation to suit all needs: see our rates table for full listings.
We stayed in one of the massive One Bedroom Upper Ocean View Suites with drop-dead ocean vistas. It gave us the feeling of tropical relaxation thanks to its cheery yellow walls and floors, green batik bedspread and woven cane lampshades. The bathroom had a huge shower and tub, with plenty of Blue Mountain Aromatics products.
The Two Bedroom Ocean Front Cottage also has fantastic sea views, as well as added space. Though its views are less impressive, the One Bedroom Partial Ocean View Cottage is closest to the ocean.
The private 3-bedroom Clandestino Villa (plus adjoining 1-bed annexe) is set within a lush jungle garden on The Caves property. It is very popular with families as all ages are welcome here. It comes complete with a private pool and BBQ.
- CD player
- Coffee / tea making
- Extra beds
- Safe box
Dinner is taken in The Dining Room, which on a warm night is actually under the stars. Arrive in time for sunset and warm up with a Cliffhanger (Appleton Gold Rum, ginger and watermelon juice). The classy Caribbean fare is seasonal and local. We had split pea soup, ackee, mixed salad, and mains of grilled chicken and curry conch. A choice of 2 or 3 options for each course is read out for you to choose from – we actually found it very relaxing to not have to agonise over menus.
Afterwards, try one of the Blackwell Rum Bar’s special tipples, hidden in the limestone cliff. Over at The Sands, there’s often jerk chicken on the bbq and cocktails at the bar.
For breakfast and lunch, head to the thatched semi-afresco Gazebo for sea views and tasty fare. Try the local fruit plate - a delicious collection of mango, papaya, pineapple, watermelon, and naseberry. Come lunchtime, we loved the salads and grilled fish or chicken.
The Clandestino Villa has a full kitchen; some of the suites and cottages have kitchenettes (best for preparing snacks rather than full meals).
- All meals included
- Coffee / tea making
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- Take an early morning leap of faith into the azure blue sea - or alternatively use one of the 5 access ladders dotted about. The jump is not for the faint-hearted, but you can watch a member of staff make the impressive morning dive daily
- Take a memorable massage in the seafront FieldSpa, or discover the Jacuzzi set into the terraces, or the sauna at the top end of the property. You can partake in a yoga lesson, too
- Grab the floats, snorkels or kayaks for a gentle paddle. More adventurous types can head up to Negril for motorised water sports: water- and jet-skiing, parasailing, banana boating
- There are weekly cooking lessons on offer, as well as mixology classes. Where better to learn how to mix a tropical punch?
- The Caves has an arrangement with the Couples Swept Away Fitness Center (15 minutes away) for guests who want to use the facilities (pool, spa, 24 tennis courts, badminton, Pilates studio, fully equipped gym with state of the art equipment, walking/jogging course, sauna, yoga)
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Jet skiing
- Kayaks to borrow
- Scuba diving
- Well being
Due to the precarious nature of the setting (open drops into the sea, plenty of steep steps) children under 16 are not permitted in the main resort. However, all ages are welcome in the self-contained Clandestino Villa.
Family friendly accommodation:
Set in half an acre of jungle gardens (just a few minutes' walk from the main resort), the private Clandestino Villa is the only accommodation that welcomes families. Sleeping up to 8 people, the villa has 3 bedrooms, plus a 1-bedroom annexe. Facilities include a full kitchen, a private pool and private parking. Note that children staying here are not permitted elsewhere in the resort (e.g. the bar, restaurant, etc).
Families Should Know:
Children staying at the Clandestino Villa are not permitted to go elsewhere in the resort (e.g. the bar or restaurant area).