“Kolkata’s first boutique hotel: this brand-new 9-suite haven has elegant rooms and a rooftop pool overlooking the city’s colonial splendours”
Breakfast and afternoon tea are included in the rate; there's also a daily changing menu of Bengali dishes for guests who wish to have lunch or dinner in the hotel. Guides are on-hand for private tours of historic sites, museums, galleries, and textile markets. This is a perfect hideaway if you're eager to explore Kolkata’s vibrant culture and exciting street life – but you'll really appreciate returning to The Glenburn's graceful tranquility.
- Sister hotel of the long-established Glenburn Tea Estate with a professional and helpful concierge service
- A short walk from Victoria Memorial, the Maidan, and Park Street, a local hub for restaurants and bars
- Just 9 spacious suites with pristine modern bathrooms: walk-in showers, clawfoot tubs, bathrobes and bespoke toiletries
- Eco-friendly: recyclable bamboo amenities (combs, razors, toothbrush) and glass bottles of water - no plastic
- A refreshing rooftop pool with superb city views
- The location - in an office building - is not for everyone
- Children under 12 not allowed
- Gadget lovers might balk at the low-tech suites
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Breakfast + other meals on request
- Over 12s only
- Closed: Never
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
The style of The Glenburn's 9 large suites is colonial with a contemporary twist. Four-poster beds have intricately carved wooden headboards and hand-embroidered cotton sheets. There are Victorian chaise longues and Art Deco mirrored desks. The floors are traditional teak, while green-and-white bathroom tiles nod to Pop Art. Ample natural light streams in from large picture windows, which can be shuttered against the midday heat.
The 4 Grand Bengal Suites are the most spacious, with either a direct view of the magnificent Victoria Memorial, or a private terrace and separate living room that can accommodate an extra bed. The 5 Kolkata Suites are slightly smaller, with views across the green expanse of The Maidan, Kolkata’s vast central park. One has a balcony.
- Air conditioning
- Coffee / tea making
- Safe box
Begin your mornings alfresco: when the weather is fine (and it often is), breakfast is served on the pretty balcony off the sitting room. Rates also include afternoon high tea, a gracious ritual served in the marbled Victoria Tea Terrace overlooking the stunning Victoria Memorial.
Two- or 3-course lunches and dinners are available on request – the menu changes daily, and is an enticing blend of modern British, French classics and Anglo-Indian favourites, with a smattering of Bengali dishes. Meals can be eaten in the elegant Dining Room or on the cool rooftop, with its sweeping views over the city.
If venturing out, nearby Park Street - the most famous road in Kolkata - is a hub of restaurants and bars. Start with a cocktail in the hotel’s Drawing Room before heading out to sample this fabled thoroughfare's dining highlights.
- Coffee / tea making
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- Explore the art galleries in the magnificent Victoria Memorial or stroll among the statues scattered about its acres of beautiful gardens
- Catch a cricket match at the Eden Gardens arena, set in the huge grassy expanse of The Maidan, known as ‘the lungs of Kolkata’
- The hotel can arrange a guided tour of Kolkata’s empirical past, which includes the neo-classical Viceregal palace of Raj Bhavan, now the Governor’s residence
- Or enjoy afternoon tea with Mr ‘Bomti’ – this interesting art collector and old-world socialite welcomes visitors to his salon in the historic Chowringhee neighbourhood
- Cruise along the River Hoogly, past sacred ghats and flower markets, synagogues and churches, and under the towering arches of the Howrah and Vidyasagar Setu bridges
- Shop for embroidered textiles and batik fabrics in the Weavers Studio; Bengali jewellery and ceramics in the Potter’s Market; or fruit and spices in one of many street bazaars
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
- Well being
Children aged 12 and over are welcome, and extra beds are available, but the hotel has no specific facilities or play areas. With its elegant suites and gracious drawing rooms, The Glenburn Penthouse is best-suited to couples or friends.
Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Extra Beds Available
Glenburn Penthouse is located in central Kolkata (also called Calcutta), the capital of the Indian state of West Bengal.
Fly into Kolkata’s Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose international airport (25km). Uber and metered cabs are available at the airport, or the hotel can transfers (request in advance).
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.com.
- Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport 23.0 km CCU
- Beach 99.0 km
- Shops 0.2 km
- Restaurant 0.2 km