We think the property works beautifully for a family, two families, or (best of all) a group of 10-18 friends. You can also book the cottage as a couple. No matter your party size, you always get your chosen space entirely to yourselves. Accommodation includes a beautiful kitchen, a dining room, a fun honesty bar, a large living room with wood burner, a hot tub, peaceful gardens, and a sunny deck with stunning views, plus a fab outdoor bar for larger groups. All this and you're in spitting distance of beautiful Bath. You can sightsee, shop and spa by day, and then retreat for the peace (or party) of the hideaway. Come here to relax and hang out with friends or family - it's the ultimate space for entertaining - then eat, drink and be merry. It's what Claire would want.
- Claire is a super charismatic host and is on hand to assist with your stay but happy to make herself scarce too
- Flexible accommodation - the cottage (+ annexe) is ideal for 4-10 people; the add-on house allows up to 18; or you can even come as a couple
- Funky, eclectic decor that adds character and is in keeping with the fun vibe of the place
- The terrace and outdoor spaces are ideal for a gathering of friends or family, and they get lots of sun in summer - plus the views over fields are gorgeous
- You get the space and privacy of a country retreat, yet you're only 2.5 miles from the centre of Bath
- Haycombe Hideaway can be rented out in multiple ways, which can be confusing when booking. If you're unsure, just give us a quick call
- You'll ideally need a car to get around but there is a local bus into Bath, or you can get a cab
- The cottage has no twin rooms, and three of the bedrooms share a bathroom (the fourth is ensuite)
- Note that if you book the cottage without annexe, use of the outdoor bar is not included
- Larger group bookings are only possible at certain times of year (Christmas, New Year and the summer holidays)
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique house rental
- House for 2-18
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car recommended
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
Cottage (sleeps 2-8)
The cottage is perfect for a couple, a family or a group of up to 8, and in all cases you'll get it completely to yourselves.
It has four bedrooms, but you don't need to use them all. We loved the master bedroom, with its sunny views over fields from the kingsize bed, plus a little balcony and an ensuite bathroom. There are two more kingsize rooms and one small double - one is on the ground floor, the rest are upstairs. If you need twin rooms, two rooms can have a single sofabed added next to the double. The main bathroom (shared between three rooms) is small but has all you need.
The large, light-filled kitchen has a central island, a big range cooker and plenty of worktop space for preparing feasts. Dine together at the quirky, carved wooden table with assorted chairs in the dining room, or eat outside at a long picnic table overlooking fields. There's also a BBQ outside (coal provided) as well as a private hot tub, plus an outdoor honesty bar that you can pay extra to rent out. The kitchen is stocked with basic supplies, and there's plenty of crockery and kitchen gadgets for cooking, but if a takeaway or a private chef are more your bag, those can also be arranged.
Just off from the kitchen is the dining room, a funky honesty bar, a large lounge with log burner (wood provided), a WC, and a utility room with washing machine, dryer and towels.
Annexe & House (up to 18)
Larger groups - from 10 to 18 people - can rent one or both of these add-on spaces, which adjoin the cottage.
The one-bedroom annexe, accessed via the cottage terrace, is a stunner. There's a double bedroom with a super-kingsize bed and a claw-foot bath on a raised platform, as well as an Ibiza-style lounge stacked with records, a small kitchenette and a toilet. From the lounge, there's a beautiful deck with a picnic table (in addition to the one in front of the cottage). Step out to feel the rays, and grab a cocktail from the outdoor honesty bar, which is included in the rate for groups of 10 and above.
Larger groups can also take the adjoining house alongside the cottage and the annexe, and all this can accommodate up to 18 in total. In the house you'll get four more double bedrooms, a second kitchen, a living room, a dining room, and a little patio. There's also a games room with a ping pong table. It's Claire's family home (they move out when it's rented), so it's all styled beautifully.
- Wild swimming can easily be accessed - Claire has some top suggestions
- Enjoy an in-room massage (or have it outside if you prefer) from a mobile masseuse - Claire can arrange
- Bath is a city you won't want to miss - admire the elegant Georgian architecture, explore the Jane Austen Centre, rejuvenate at Thermae Bath Spa, or go on a Bridgerton tour
- Or hit Bath’s boutiques for some retail therapy. We love the bookseller Topping & Co and the chocolatier Charlotte Brunswick
- On a hot day, rent paddleboards and explore the River Avon, which runs through Bath centre
- Walks are easy from the door of the cottage, and the rolling hills are beautiful. There's also a lovely, easy walk along the canal in Bath
- Go hot air ballooning - they take off from a spot 5 mins down the road
- Head out of Bath to explore the rolling Mendip Hills or the pretty market town of Bradford-on-Avon, a short train ride away
Children are very welcome, and the house works well for 1, 2 or 3 families. There's plenty of outdoor space, a very well-equipped kitchen for cooking kids' meals, TVs with Netflix, puzzles, board games, and a games room if you take the whole place. My sons adored our short stay here.
Family friendly accommodation:
There are no twin rooms at present, but plans are afoot to create two - one downstairs in the cottage, the other upstairs. For now, all rooms are doubles. Bring your own travel cot for babies - there's space for two.
Kids Activities on site:
- TV with Netflix
- Board games
- Games room (if renting whole property for 18)
Families Should Know:
Toddlers should be supervised as there are a few steep drops down from the terrace. The balcony off the master bedroom, whilst fenced, is not advised for kids.
Watch out for the deep ponds located in the area - they are fenced off but you'll need to keep an eye on youngsters.
- Airport: 40-minute drive (Bristol)
- Hospital: 10-minute drive (Bath)
- Supermarket: 5-minute drive (Bath)
The Haycombe Hideaway is located on a farm just outside Englishcombe, a village on the edge of Bath (4km away).
Bristol (27km / 40mins) has flights from the UK and Europe; otherwise try London Heathrow (166km / 2 hours). From Bristol Airport you can take a taxi or bus to Bath; from Heathrow we recommend the train from central London.
Bath has good rail links from London Paddington and from the South West. From the station, it's a short taxi ride.
Detailed directions will be provided when you confirm a booking through i-escape.
- Bristol 27.0 km BRS
- London Heathrow 166.0 km LHR
- Beach 50.0 km
- Shops 1.6 km
- Restaurant 4.0 km