“An indulgent urban retreat, filled with timeless grace and all the trimmings of a world-class hotel”
There's fine innovative dining at Kent Street Kitchen and classic cocktails at Palm Court. Elegant bedrooms range from vast to positively regal, with beautiful views and classic finishes. The marble foyer has an oval atrium balcony and a discreet reception desk for a paparazzi-free check in. In the basement spa, an indoor swimming pool waits beneath a domed fibre-optic ceiling, whose twinkling stars mimic the Southern Hemisphere night sky. And the service is truly impeccable. A world-class city hotel, up there with the Ritz and Cipriani, without being at all stuffy.
- Great location in the historic Rocks district, overlooking Walsh Bay: far from the madding crowd, but within walking distance of Sydney Harbour Bridge, Opera House, CBD and Circular Quay
- Luxurious bedrooms and suites with mammoth bathrooms
- Every comfort under the Southern Stars: iPod docks, whirlpool tubs, Cuban cigars in every shape and size
- Five-star service and then some
- The hotel underwent an extensive refurbishment in late 2014 and we're yet to experience it in its current guise, including the rooms and dining options
- None of the dining options are provided daily (most are 6 days per week) - a shame if you're only staying a short while
- The less expensive rooms have not-so-grand views over the inner city
- You need to book ahead for the day spa, as it's popular among non-residents too
Best time to go
Our top tips
Sydney can’t be done in 24 hours so take your time; the hotel will carry your shopping bags and rub your feet at the end of the day.”
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurant + bar
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Indoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Tennis Court
Wear your finest silk and drag out the pearls: this is a case of being 'in residence' rather than just 'staying over'. Even the cheapest room category feels more like a royal chamber than a hotel room. Think huge beds, clean lines, marble bathrooms, rain showerheads, and opulent textures fit for a queen, a diplomat or an executive on retreat.
Some Deluxe City rooms overlook Observatory Hill, others over historic Walsh Bay, and some have terraces. Executive rooms are a little larger and feature a sitting area within the room, plus some have balconies overlooking the harbour or the inner city.
The huge One-Bedroom Suites have a separate sitting room with an entertainment system and a full bar service. Bedrooms are spacious with an adjoining foyer area and large bathroom. Some have domed ceilings, arched windows or balconies with blissful views of Darling Harbour or inner Sydney harbour.
- Air conditioning
- Cd player
- Central heating
- Coffee tea making
- Cots Available
- Dvd player
- Extra beds
- Internet access
- Ipod dock
- Safe box
- Satellite tv
Breakfast is a leisurely affair served up in Kent Street Kitchen 6 days a week. Peruse the morning paper over hot waffles or head out and about to discover one of the many a local eateries.
By nightfall Kent Street Kitchen becomes a seductive salon of modern cuisine. Chef Daniel Rudolph has constructed an elegant European menu with temptations including a tasting platter of seasonal Sydney oysters, flat iron steak and 14-hour sous vide beef short rib. Innovative stuff, and pudding cover everything from citrus to chocolate round things off nicely.
For something a little lighter, the chic Palm Court offers a pretty 3-tiered afternoon tea before transforming into a fabulous cocktail lounge as night falls.
Sadly none of these services are offered daily, so if you're on a tight schedule, check the opening hours on arrival.
- Children meals
- Coffee tea making
- Restaurants nearby
- Vegetarian menu
- Take a front-of-house tour of the Opera House, attend a performance or view the city lights from the northern foyer bar
- Go sailing on the harbour, or take a cruise around the bay
- Head up to the Northern Beaches for some surfing and strolling in the sand dunes
- Experience the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb - 1439 giddy steps to crest the world famous structure, and every one of them worth it for the panoramic vistas
- Wander the backstreets of the Rocks and witness the birthplace of modern Australia - the nation’s first settlers set up camp here and many of the original taverns still stand
- Shop in Pitt Street Mall and the adjacent Queen Victoria Building
- Take a ferry from Circular Quay to Manly beach for lunch; or grab a water taxi to Taronga Zoo
- Back at the hotel, be pampered at the spa, with face and body treatments using Aboriginal techniques and natural ingredients (kelp, sea-salt, aromatic oils)
- Then cool off with a dip in the twinkling-ceilinged swimming pool and unwind in the steam rooms and sauna
- Work out at the hotel's gym, or play tennis across the road
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Museums / galleries
- Tennis coaching
- Well being
The Langham Sydney welcomes children of all ages - please let the hotel know the name, age and gender of your child so they can organise a surprise on arrival!
Family friendly accommodation:
All rooms can take an extra bed or baby cot, and the Executives and One-Bedroom Suites are particularly spacious.
Available on request.
- Baby cots
- Baby bedding
- High chairs
- Bottle warming
- Baby bath
- Nappies, wipes, baby powder, nappy pail
- Toddler bathrobe and slippers
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
The room service menu has children's options, and kids' meals are available on request in the restaurant.
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming pool with fibre-optic night sky
- In-room toys and games, on request
Kids Activities nearby:
- Darling Harbour
- Circular Quay
- Royal Botanic Gardens
- Powerhouse Museum
- Take ferry from Circular Quay to Taronga Zoo
- Airport: 30 minutes
- Shops: 10 minutes
- Hospital: 10-15 minutes
Join for free and get...
Exclusive deals at our favourite boutique hotels, B&Bs and rentals
- Award-winning booking service, with helpful consultants on hand
- Price-match at all 1,500 properties in our portfolio
- Plus, in most cases, a little extra gift when you arrive...