Each villa has an airy, open-plan, double-height living space, which flows out onto a beautiful raised deck - the hub of the house - with shady dining and chilling spaces, plus an infinity pool perched dramatically above the greenery. Inside, expect super-comfy beds, semi-outdoor bathrooms, a well-equipped kitchen and floor-to-ceiling windows to maximise those views. One house has 2 bedrooms, the other 3, making them great for families with older, more adventurous kids, or for a group of friends wanting a dose of lovely, laid-back jungle-side living. Or book both together - they're just a short walk apart - for a group of 10-14. We can't wait to do exactly that.
- We love this unspoiled corner of south Lombok, known by just a few savvy travellers and surfers
- Selong Belanak beach has 1.5km of white sands (at low tide), with the bonus sight of water buffalo crossing each afternoon
- Thoughtful extras in the houses include surf boards, books, musical instruments, minibars and lunch menus
- Plus you can pre-book a chef, a yoga teacher, a fishing trip, airport transfers, scooters or a car with driver: it's almost hotel-level service
- There's no minimum stay: just come for as long as you've got
- The access track is long and bumpy
- While kids of all ages are accepted, the design is not great for toddlers or younger kids
- Note that all bedrooms are double bedded (no twins)
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique villas
- 2 villas for 4-8
- Self-catering; chef available
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car recommended
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Laundry Service
- 24-hour security
The Left House (sleeps 6-8)is the bigger of the two, with a vast 400 sq.m. of living space and 3 double bedrooms, each with their own ensuite bathroom. One of these has an outdoor sunken bathtub - grab that one for yourself! The open-plan living room comes with polished cement floors, a high sloping ceiling (with fans), and more window area than the Petronas Towers, making it super bright and airy. It easily swallows up the big sofas, chunky timber dining table and indoor palm tree. Sliding doors lead out onto the lovely raised desk, where you'll spend most of your time. There's a shaded sitout, outdoor dining and an extra terrace with day bed, hammock and swing to soak up the bird- and monkey song.
The Right House (sleeps 4-6) is similar, just a little smaller at 350 sq.m. It has 2 double bedrooms (again, both with ensuite bathroom), and a vast open-plan glass-walled living space which leads out onto its own elevated deck with chilling spaces, private pool and even better sea views. To make up for the slightly smaller size, there's a Roland electric piano for budding musicians, and a home office with superfast 10Mbps fibre internet for work-cationers. And what a place this would be to have a working holiday or a creative break!
- In room treatments available
- Safe box
- Washing machine
Both houses come with a fully equipped kitchen - hob, oven, fridge-freezer, coffee maker, blender - and dining tables both indoors and out, along with a BBQ. But it's not fully self-catering: breakfast is included in the rates (pastries, pancakes, fruit, juices), and served by the lovely housekeeping staff. And you'll find a pre-stocked minibar and freezer which you can raid for beers, wines, soft drinks, ice creams and a small selection of frozen meals (skewers, burgers, buns, pastries). Plus there's a supplementary menu of lunch snacks which staff can prepare for you: think omelettes, stir-fries, noodle dishes, mango pudding and fruit salads. With no eateries nearby, these services are really useful, and fairly priced too.
For a special treat, the manager can book what they call a nomad chef to whip up a celebratory meal. This saves the considerable hassle of driving to and negotiating the market, as well as cooking and tidying. And the results - whether Asian haute cuisine, mega BBQ, lobster, vegan - are spectacular.
Otherwise, it's a 12-minute drive or scooter ride down to the bars and beachside eateries of Selong Belanak. There's also a smarter restaurant within a small resort, about 4 minutes' drive away.
- Chef on request
- Coffee maker
- Dinner by arrangement
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Lunch by arrangement
- Head down to Selong Belanak bay (12 mins' drive) for swimming, snorkelling and a mile-long white-sand beach; in the afternoon you may see the water buffalo being herded through
- You can surf here too - it's the perfect spot to learn - but the best breaks for pros are at Mawi Beach (30 mins)
- Book a private yoga session on your terrace: a teacher comes up from Kuta, and mats are provided in the house
- Boat trips around the coast or to The Gilis can be arranged, with snorkelling or fishing equipment provided
- Ask owner Nicolas, or the house staff, about exploring Lombok with a car and driver, to waterfalls, fishing villages and world-class surf beaches (Tangjun Aan, Ekas and Pink Beach are favourites)
Activities on site or nearby include:
Both houses are suitable for kids, and we think they'd be great for an adventurous family - or two travelling together - who enjoy surfing or snorkelling, nature and jungle life, and exploring local cultures. Note that there are no cots, and the houses are not very toddler-proof.
Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
The Left House has 3 double bedrooms (+ 2 single mattresses on request), so can comfortably sleep a family of 5-6, possibly more. The Right House has 2 double bedrooms (+ an extra double in the office), so can easily accommodate a family of 4. But note that all bedrooms are fitted with double beds (no twins).
Families Should Know:
The houses are designed with adults in mind, rather than toddlers. There are raised decks with wire guards in place, but we advise you to always keep an eye on younger children here. The living spaces have direct access to the pools (which are unfenced); and there are lots of steps between levels (indoors and out).
The houses are set on a jungle-covered hillside overlooking Selong Belanak bay on the south coast of Lombok island. It's about 40 mins' drive from the airport, the same from the coastal mini-resort of Kuta.
Lombok International Airport is served by a few international flights. But most Europeans come via Bali (or via Jakarta), and then take a connecting flight to Lombok.
By Ferry from Bali:
There is a regular ferry service from Padang Bai on Bali to Lembar on Lombok, which takes 5-6 hours (slow but authentic!). Lembar is about 1 hour's drive from the villas.
From the airport or port
The houses are not easy to find, and the last stretch of track is very bumpy. We recommend asking villa staff to pre-book either a car with driver for your stay, or airport transfers (and then you can book a car with driver for the days when you want to explore). It's also possible to hire scooters for local exploration, but due to the narrow, bumpy (and unlit) roads we can't honestly recommend this.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Lombok International Airport 23.0 km LOP
- Beach 2.5 km
- Shops 4.0 km
- Restaurant 0.8 km