The Pig at Bridge Place is a triumph, rain or shine. This newest addition in the hotel group’s small and very well turned out collection excels where it matters most – the people. From the restaurant to the reception and everywhere between, the attentive staff are smiley, friendly and relaxed. There's plenty to see and do. Potter through the walled garden, feast on mouth-watering pizza, sample superb Kentish wines on the terrace or relax with a spa treatment.
Being new and boutique - just 29 rooms - you might find it hard to get a booking, but do keep trying. We adored the pimped-up wood cabin vibe of the Hop Pickers' Huts and the spacious, elegant Coach House rooms. If you like a bit of history opt for the rooms inside the main house. Bridge Place is easily reached by train from central London (60mins), and just three miles south of historic Canterbury, so you have no excuses not to make it here. Yet make it you must, as soon as possible. We've already booked our next stay.
- Superlative staff. Guy, Jamie and the rest of the team at Bridge Place demonstrate all that is best in friendly, relaxed service
- The Insta-worthy restaurant with its open kitchen knocking out delicious but unpretentious food and tasty drinks
- Beautifully renovated rooms with lots of luxe additions: Bramley toiletries, KitchenAid coffee machines, fluffy robes
- The walled garden. Immaculately presented with its wood-fired pizza Garden Oven for a casual lunch or light supper
- For total privacy, The Barn is a dream – a gorgeous hideaway in the old stable block with a freestanding roll-top bath and views of the Kentish meadows
- Parking is limited on busy weekends
- Treatments are fantastic but pricey, and with only two treatment rooms in the Potting Shed, we advise you book well ahead
- Some rooms have low ceilings; guests with mobility issues should avoid the rooms with stairs to a mezzanine level
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 29 rooms
- Restaurant and bar
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
- Electric car charger
The Hop Pickers' Huts were our favourite. Located just along the boardwalk, and set over the water meadow, they have a New England luxe wood cabin feel: antlers on the walls, rolltop tubs at the end of the beds, Adirondack chairs on the outside decks. Coach House Rooms 8, 9, 10 and 11 are all on the ground floor with small terraces outside. TVs, minibars, coffee machines and Bramley products are standard throughout.
In the main house, Extremely Small Rooms are aptly named but have a friendly price tag and historical details. Snug Rooms have only showers and are located in the main house. Seven of the Comfy Luxe Rooms offer more space and many have an in-room bath and separate shower (rooms 15 and 16 have mezzanine bathrooms up some stairs). For space, book a Big Comfy Luxe Room (17, 18 or 19). For privacy, try the Hideaways in the garden. Families are best suited to The Lodge - two cottages with their own parking and kitchens.
- In room treatments available
Breakfast is a dream spread served from 7-10.30am. Fresh pastries, yoghurts, eggs, fruit and plenty of offerings for all intolerances.
The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner daily. Provenance is key here. Homegrown veg is a staple feature on the 25-mile menu and plucked fresh from the impressive kitchen garden. The fish, game and locally reared meats are exceptional, with home-smoked and cured charcuterie being our standout. The restaurant's kitchen is open, so you can look into the heart of the action.
Another option is the Garden Oven, a wood oven casual dining space in the garden.
There's also a kids’ menu and a wonderful wine list featuring an array of impressive UK wines, many from Kent.
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- Room service
- Charming Kentish villages abound in the area. Drive out and explore.
- Visit a local vineyard and sample some of England’s (and Europe’s) finest wines – award-winning Biddenden Vineyards is nearby.
- Borrow some Hunter wellies and head out on a walk across the Kentish fields – staff can point you in the right direction.
- Many lovely coastal towns and beaches are a short drive from Bridge Place. We enjoyed an afternoon in Whitstable, famed for its oysters, and the former-fishing town Deal has its charms.
- Canterbury and its famous medieval cathedral is only 15 minutes away.
- Marwell Zoo Park is a short drive away and offers a great day out for families.
Activities on site or nearby include:
While it is more of an adult hotel, families are warmly welcomed and the staff went out of their way to make younger visitors appreciated on our visit. It has a kids' menu, board games in the lodge, and plenty of garden space to explore.
Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
The two Lodges (1 & 2) each have two bedrooms, kitchenettes and lounges, and are perfect for families. Lodge 1 has a double and a twin, both ensuite. Lodge 2 has a double and a bunk room. Families with older kids could book two Comfy Luxe rooms together (such as 12 and 14) - not interconnecting but together. Some Big Comfy Luxe rooms (17, 14 and 12) can accommodate an extra bed or baby cot.
Kids Activities on site:
A kids menu, board games in the lodge and plenty of garden space to explore
- Airport: 75-minute drive (London City Airport)
- Hospital: 15-minute drive (Canterbury)
- Shops: 15-minute drive (Canterbury)
The Pig at Bridge Place is located within the village of Bridge, a short distance from the historic city of Canterbury.
The nearest international airport is London City, (99km). For a list of airlines serving this airport, click the links at the bottom of the page.
From the Airport
The hotel can arrange transfers, or you can hire a car or hop on a train (see below).
The nearest station is Bekesbourne (36mins), served by Southeastern Trains from London Victoria. Quicker and more frequent trains go direct from London St Pancras to nearby Canterbury. See Seat 61 for more details.
The Pig at Bridge Place is under two hours by car from central London. See our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you once your booking is confirmed through i-escape.
More on getting to the UK and getting around
- London City Airport 99.0 km LCY
- Beach 23.0 km
- Shops 15.0 km
- Restaurant 0.5 km