“Elegant country-house hotel and restaurant, perfect for a romantic retreat in the Cotswolds”
The 15 bedrooms have been given a country-chic makeover; soft sisal flooring, sage velvet sofas, artfully strewn blankets and claw-foot tubs abound. The marble-topped bar, with its glittering array of bottles, will tempt you to sample pre-dinner cocktails. Later, head through to the welcoming restaurant for a decadent dinner. On a winter's day, there are roaring log fires in the lounge. In summer, the gardens are beautiful for relaxing in, with a heated pool plus plenty of tables and seats dotted around. For days out, you're within easy striking distance of the antiques shops of Tetbury, Cirencester or even Bath. Pack a good book, some wellies and your appetite – Cotswolds bliss awaits.
- The elegant on-site bar and restaurant for indulgent dinners, plus a buzzy sister pub just over the road
- Large bright and airy bedrooms, many with claw-foot tubs, and a spacious 3-bedroom cottage
- A heated outdoor pool (usually open May-Sept) and beautiful gardens for lazy summer days
- A great Cotswolds location - easy to get to via train or car (90 minutes' drive from London)
- Warm, friendly staff
- Children can be accommodated but they may find the adult atmosphere a little boring
- As is often the case in the Cotswolds, good food comes with a price tag to match
- You'll need to ask at reception for the WiFi code (no phones in the rooms)
- Some steep stairs to the top floor and low ceilings in the hallways
- No twin rooms
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurant and bar open daily
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
The Rectory has 15 light and airy bedrooms, plus a cosy self-catering 3-bedroom cottage in the grounds. Expect muted sage-green shades of Farrow & Ball, Scandi-inspired sheepskins draped over leather armchairs and large bottles of Green & Spring herbal bath products.
We liked first-floor Medium Room 1, a beautiful space with a dusky-pink velvet bed. Up in the eaves, Medium Room 16 has a Scandi vibe and a separate sofabed (handy for those with young children). Our first-floor Big Room (6) was delightful. A huge kingsize four-poster bed was surrounded by an antique wardrobe, glass lamps, a sofa and a lovely vintage trunk table, plus 3 cosy window seats. Its ensuite bathroom had a clawfoot tub and separate shower, plus twin basins. All other Big Rooms have an in-room tub. All rooms come with a kettle and teas; you'll find milk in the first-floor honesty fridge (on the landing). The Biggest Room (4) has a gorgeous teal ensuite - with its own clawfoot bathtub - and a modern four-poster bed.
Nestled in the hotel grounds, the modern Scandi-style 3-bedroom cottage (2 doubles and 1 twin room) has a kitchen, a big corner sofa and a wood-burner – perfect for cosy winter breaks.
- CD player
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Internet access
- Ipod dock
Dinner is taken in the elegant candlelit dining room; log fires warm the panelled space during the cooler months. Freshly baked bread to start was a nice touch. Menus are seasonal, but ours included veal (delicious) and lamb rump (a little on the rich side). The dessert, an apple and maple syrup cheesecake with apple sorbet, was excellent. Staff were happy to advise on wine options from their nicely varied list.
If you want a more casual dinner, book a table at The Potting Shed pub across the road - fish and chips, sausage and mash, steak, that sort of thing.
Served in the light and airy Glasshouse, breakfast is a help-yourself array of cereals, homemade granola, yoghurt, juices, bread and pastries. There’s even vodka and champagne if you need an early pick-me-up! We tried the French toast, bacon and maple syrup, but poached eggs, avocado and smoked salmon are also on offer for a healthier start. Lunch is served daily and cakes are available through the day.
For local restaurants, we like swanky Whatley Manor, the other side of Malmesbury. For something simpler, try the Vine Tree village pub at Norton.
- Coffee / tea making
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- Kick off your shoes, curl up in a window seat and lose yourself in a good book. Alternatively, hole up in your room and choose a film from your TV's library
- In good weather, relax in the garden with a G&T or splash around in the outdoor heated pool (mid-May to October)
- Pull on some Hunters and go for a walk in the country - Westonbirt's arboretum is one of the finest in the world (a 15-minute drive)
- You are on the edge of the Cotswolds. Visit nearby Tetbury and find some of England's finest antique shops or browse the quirky boutiques and delis of Cirencester (10 minutes' drive), a charming market town
- Spend the day in Bath and treat yourself to a day at Thermae Bath Spa (40-minute drive)
- Harry Potter fans might want to visit the National Trust's Lacock Abbey which has featured in 2 of the hit films
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Shopping / markets
The hotel can accommodate children but it is more of a grown up vibe and not ideal for little ones.
Babies (0-1 years), Toddlers (1-4 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Some rooms can interconnect via a corridor. The cottage might work best for families, it has 3 bedrooms (including 1 twin room).
Kids Activities on site:
- The walled garden is great for children to play in with several large lawns
- The outdoor pool is heated during the summer months
The Rectory is located in the village of Crudwell, in Wiltshire. It sits between Malmesbury and Cirencester.
The nearest train station is Kemble (6km / 3 miles). It's 70 minutes from London Paddington sation. See Seat 61 for more details.
By Air and/or Car
Heathrow is about 1 hour away and Bristol is 45 minutes. See our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be provided when you book through i-escape.
More on getting to the UK and getting around.
- Bristol 65.0 km BRS
- Beach 200.0 km
- Shops 5.0 km
- Restaurant 0.0 km