Luxury plantation-style estate on a white-sand beach, just 50 minutes from Singapore”
All 29 suites and villas combine space with flawless style and comfort: claw-foot tubs and herbal bath salts, sarongs for the beach, personalised stationary for missives home. And in the airy-light Dining Room and cosy-dark Bar, even the food and drink is creative. Start your day with truffle-scented eggs and a visit by the jamu-wallah for a shot of traditional Indonesian tonic; end it with pink margharitas and Thai street food under the stars, followed by liquid-nitrogen ice cream. Mind-blowing all round.
Information provided by The Sanchaya on 23/06/2021.
1 January 2022
Cleaning and hygiene
Masks are mandatory for all, in all public areas and vehicles. Detailed strict housekeeping protocols. Staff training. Hand sanitiser and anti-bacterial wipes available everywhere. Cleaning maximised in all public areas with particular attention to high touch point areas. In room housekeeping services on request. Housekeeping staff supplied with PPE. Rooms sealed after cleaning. Amenities and linen delivered in sealed containers. Minibar items individually wiped on morning of guest arrival.
Physical distancing of min 1.5m required throughout the estate. Pool and beach loungers 3 metres apart.
Food and drink
Individual envelopes for restaurant and bar guests to keep their mask in. Room service for breakfast at no additional cost. All meals a la carte, no buffets. 2 metre minimum distance between tables. All chinaware, glassware and cutlery sanitised. Menus on blackboards and digitally via QR codes. Dining areas expanded and on outside terraces.
All spa bookings, yoga classes, gym sessions and excursions require pre-booking.
We are now offering flexible payment and cancellation policies to all of our reservations.
Streamlined services deploying digital technology or old-fashioned black boards. Guests asked to fill in a health form detailing current status and recent whereabouts. Guests temperature screened prior to check in and before entering restaurants, bar or spa. Staff temperature screened daily. Contactless payments. Keys in dropbox. Transfer vehicles sanitised after each use.
- Sunrise yoga in an open-sided garden pavilion
- Immaculate bedrooms with complimentary minibars and an iPad of movies
- Staff are a delight; as friendly or unobtrusive as you need
- Thrilling activities include blokarting on the beach and night mangrove tours to watch iridescent fireflies
- Hugely romantic, but surprisingly family friendly too, with lots of space for everyone
- Ongoing renovations at the poolside Tanasee Grill and the main pool deck. The Olympic-sized pool remains swimmable for dips and laps throughout
- Hardly a low, but this is such a haven it’s hard not to just ferry-and-flop and miss the island’s activities and culture
- Mosquitos and sand flies – bring repellent with DEET
Best time to go
Our top tips
Every third Sunday of the month, the estate opens up to non-residents for a 'House Party' - a fabulous day of Bloody Marys and Pimms, with amazing food prepared by Chef Giacomo Turzo.”
- Boutique Hotel
- 29 rooms
- Restaurants & bar (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
- Bicycles Available
Of the estate’s 29 villas and suites, the Junior and Sanchaya Suites were our favourite, with fabulous ocean views from their first-floor verandas in the main house. The bamboo-roofed Lawan Thai Villas circle a pretty inland lagoon, while Two-Bedroom Villas open to direct beach access, their shared dining and living area at the heart of the space.
Decor is divine throughout, colonial chic (whirling fans, shutters, dark-wood planter chairs) and loaded with luxury: that free minibar (replenished daily), Aesop toiletries, super-comfy beds with pillow menus, filmy curtains wafting in the breeze. Technology is present yet correct with Apple TV and B&O sound systems.
Top choice for groups is the beautiful Leelawadee Residence. Just 3 one-bedroom villas and a private dining area set around your own private 17m pool. Total indulgence.
- Air conditioning
- Apple TV
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Ipod dock
- Pillow menu
- Safe box
Wake up to a breakfast buffet of Continental treats served in The Dining Room, jazzed up by an innovative menu of eggs, pancakes and Indonesian early-morning fare. Verandah tables soak up the stunning beach view, and jamu tonics are served table-to-table by the jamu-wallah: healthy turmeric, ginger and kaffir lime shots.
Lunch can be ordered wherever, whenever, while afternoon tea happens in the quiet calm of The Bar. We loved its gentlemen's club styling, with Chesterfield sofas and hooded leather chairs; later it's a great place for nightcaps and cigars.
In the evening, The Dining Room serves exquisite Indonesian and European flavours: lobster bisque with aero champagne; kurobeta pork belly with Oriental five spices, slow-braised beef. For something more casual, head to Tasanee Grill, where Bangkok street food-inspired dishes are shared with the stars and the breeze.
If you're here for romance, request a candlelit beach BBQ, or in-villa dining. Or book a private dinner in The Decanter, the glass-walled wine cellar, where you can taste wines from lesser-known boutique vineyards. We love the sound of their 'wine and cheese' pairings tutorial.
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Head beachwards to soak up the sun
- Then cool down on a semi-submerged lounger in the Olympic-sized pool
- There are SUP boards for carving over the waves, and you can book snorkelling, scuba diving and sailing trips
- Take a Southeast Asian Flavours cookery class, with hands-on help from the estate’s chef. Or ask the mixologist at The Bar to teach you cocktails and mocktails with tropical flavours
- Do alfresco yoga and meditation as the sun comes up, and play lawn croquet and pétanque or try your hand at archery as the sun goes down
- Have a go at blokarting (land yachting) across the sand
- Enjoy absolute indulgence at the spa - perhaps a Thai massage, a signature scrub using warm oils and fresh herbs, or a Javanese volcanic stone massage. Choose from indoor or garden cabana treatments
- There's an activities concierge who can arrange night mangrove tours, boat trips and private seaplane rides. Or cruise along the Sebung River, home to macaques and silvered leaf monkeys
- Hike up to the summit of Gunung Bintan mountain
- Bintan is a golfer's paradise
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Cooking classes
- Mountain biking
- Private guided tours
- Scuba diving
- Stand Up Paddleboarding
- Well being
While The Sanchaya is an adult’s playground, children are welcome and stay for free up to 11 years of age. There are baby cots and staff can arrange babysitting (extra cost); in-room iPads have kid-friendly movies; there's a kids' menu available, and imaginative activities delight children of all ages.
Family friendly accommodation:
Junior Suites and Thai Lawan Villas can each fit a baby cot. Sanchaya Suites can fit an extra bed (additional fee). Two-Bedroom Villas are ideal for families, with a double and twin bedroom apiece. If you're a bigger group, book Leelawadee, which is 3 one-bedroom villas set around a private pool (2 doubles, 1 twin).
Advance booking required.
The restaurants share a kids' menu.
Kids Activities on site:
- The pool and beach
- Treasure hunts
- Fancy dress
- Bikes to borrow (adult sized with child seats)
- Games and toys
Families Should Know:
The pool and lagoon are unfenced
- Airport: 50 minutes by boat then a 15-minute taxi (Singapore)
- Hospital: 35km
- Shops: 0.5km
The Sanchaya is set on Bintan Island in Indonesia, a 50-minute boat ride from Singapore.
Changi Airport in Singapore (8km away) is the nearest airport, served by a huge range of international airlines.
It's a 50-minute high-speed catamaran ferry ride from Singapore’s Tanah Merah ferry terminal to Bintan. Ferries operate up to 5 times a day. It's essential to book the ferry in advance if travelling at weekends or holidays. The hotel offers free transfers from the ferry port.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
More on getting to Singapore and getting around
- Singapore Changi 8.0 km SIN
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 2.0 km
- Restaurant 2.0 km