Just a few miles up the coast from Skegness lies Anderby Creek, an untouched, 10-mile stretch of sandy beach often touted as one of the UK’s best undiscovered beaches. At the back of it, an ultra-contemporary, off-grid beach house. Designed by award-winning architect Jonathan Hendry, The Sandy Feet Retreat is entirely bespoke and incredibly high-spec. Built from a ruin using eco-friendly materials like clay and recycled glass, the look is clean, minimalist and very cool. With three bedrooms (two kingsize, one bunk), a full kitchen, a patio leading directly to the beach, and a boat house with kayaks and surfboards to borrow, it’s a dream for free-range families.
This section of coast forms part of a 60-acre nature reserve so the surroundings are rugged and beautiful. Sand dunes smothered in wildflowers border the beach, swaying marram grass leads directly to the sand, and wildlife is abundant: look for birds of prey overhead and dolphins or porpoises out at sea. Thanks to its east-facing position, sunrises are stunning, but evenings are equally magical: unpolluted skies make it a great stargazing spot (binos included), and there’s an enormous fire pit to keep you toasty. One of our all-time favourite British beach houses!
- Set within an AONB nature reserve, Anderby Creek is wild and untouched – considered one of the best beaches in the country
- The house is an architectural marvel – Grand Designs, eat your heart out!
- Brilliant for families: a bunk room for kids, a full kitchen, a snug with Netflix and games, and watersports equipment to borrow
- Very eco-friendly: natural materials, off-grid, renewable energy, supports local environmental schemes, no single use plastics
- Short breaks are available (min 3 nights)
- The location between Skegness and Mablethorpe might sound off-putting, but Anderby Creek really is worlds apart from its infamous neighbours, and actually we preferred it to much of Cornwall!
- The spartan design might not be to everyone’s taste
- This is a wild stretch of coast; be prepared to drive along a sandy access track (or walk the last part)
- The house is the owners' pride and joy, so they understandably have restrictions on groups (no stag or hen parties, no pets) and a hefty security deposit (£1000)
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Beach House
- 3 bedrooms
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car recommended
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- E-bikes and bicycles available
- Electric car charger
The house was very cleverly designed to capture a feeling of calm and oneness with nature. Oversized windows create bright rooms, while thick walls and clay ceilings keep them cool. Calming grey, white and pastel-pink colour schemes feature. The layout downstairs is divided into three main areas, each of which can be closed off or opened up to maintain the flow throughout and to connect the interior with its surroundings. There's a bespoke kitchen (see eating) overlooking the beach, a wet room with showers for washing sandy feet, and a snug with sofas, wood burner, games and entertainment systems: ideal for rainy days.
Upstairs, there are three bedrooms: one master double, a second double and a kids’ room with bunk beds and a pull-out trundle bed (bit of a squeeze if sleeping 3 kids in this room). The master is the standout: all-glass walls showcase stunning sea views (rise early to watch the sunrise from your bed), and there’s a vintage bubble chair hanging from the ceiling that has featured in movies, music videos and photo shoots! There are three bathrooms, one of which is ensuite and has a bath with views.
Outside, you get your own beachfront patio with barbecue, fire pit, outdoor seating a raised sun deck that provides uninterrupted views across the sand dunes and the sea. Go through your front gate and you step directly onto the sands of Anderby Creek beach – you can’t get any closer than this!
- Safe box
- Tumble dryer
- Washing machine
We love the look of the kitchen. It features smart black units, a wood burner, a feature oak dining table, and plenty of mod-cons (coffee machine and dishwasher included). Sliding doors open to the beachfront patio, where there’s a picnic bench made from sustainably-sourced larch. When opened up, this space has a clever indoor/outdoor feel. A utility room is adjacent to the kitchen with washing machine, tumble dryer and cleaning supplies.
You’ll get a welcome hamper with an assortment of Lincolnshire produce to get you started, but otherwise you’ll need to stock up on supplies in Chapel St Leonards (10 mins) or Skegness (15 mins). For eating out, there’s Anderby Beach Café situated 300 metres from the house, which serves breakfast, lunch, snacks and drinks and comes with a quirky beer garden, or The Kitchen and Bar (at Popa’s) for all-day dining and great Sunday lunches. Every Friday evening, a van serving excellent Fish and Chips visits Anderby Creek, and there are a few takeaway joints that deliver to the house. Plenty of other eat-out options are within short driving distance.
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Restaurants nearby
- Hit the beach. Kayaking, surfing, fishing, paddle-boarding and horse-riding are all popular activities along the coast
- The surrounding sand dunes are covered in wildflowers and provide habitat to a wealth of wildlife. Go for walks through the dunes - and take your camera with you if you’re a keen photographer
- There are also five other nature reserves within walking distance, plus the first Lincolnshire stretch of The England Coast Path passes right by the house
- Birdwatchers should visit the nearby Round and Round House, a popular bird hide set atop the dunes with views across the marshlands and out to sea. Oystercatchers, fieldfares, sanderlings and shorelarks are regularly sighted
- Step onto the beach at low tide, turn right and walk 2 miles to the North Sea Observatory at Chapel Point, a contemporary piece of architecture and purpose built marine observatory.
Activities on site or nearby include:
Sandy Feet is a dream for families. There's a kids' bedroom, lots of baby equipment to borrow, a great kitchen for self-catering, and a snug with games and entertainment systems. Outside, it gets even better: the terrace backs directly onto wide, sandy Anderby Creek beach, as well as a nature reserve with sand dunes to explore and wildlife to spot. The house comes with its own boat house where you'll find kayaks, surf boards, and stand-up paddle boards to borrow, along with life jackets. Family beach retreats don't get much better than this!
Family friendly accommodation:
The little bunk room is ideal for small children (sleeps up to three in bunk beds and a pull-out trundle bed); the rear bedroom (double) is better for older children; the master suite is best for a baby cot as it's the largest.
Kids Activities on site:
- Spotting wildlife in the surrounding nature reserve (rabbits, birds of prey, porpoises, dolphins) - there's an insect house, bird-feeders and nesting boxes on-site, too
- Netflix and Amazon Prime setup in the snug as well as board games to enjoy
Families Should Know:
There are steep steps from the sunbathing deck down to the patio. The wooden sleepers around the fire pit are a potential trip hazard - keep an eye on small children when the fire is lit. There's only a stair gate at the bottom of the stairs not the top, due to the door arrangement. The bunk room is a squeeze if sleeping 3.
- Airport: 70 mins
- Hospital: 30 mins (small A&E in Skegness); 40 mins (major A&E in Louth)
- Supermarket: 10 mins
The Sandy Feet Retreat is located on Anderby Creek beach, just north of Skegness in Lincolnshire.
It's around 3.5 hours' drive from central London. The last part of the access road is on a sandy track.
Humberside (64km) is the closest airport, but East Midlands (148km) or Birmingham (212km) are much busier international hubs. This is a rural area so it's worth hiring a car so you can explore while you stay (see our car rental recommendations).
Skegness is the nearest station (approx 30 minutes' drive from the house). Sandy Feet offers 5% cashback to guests arriving by public transport.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Humberside 64.0 km HUY
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 0.4 km
- Restaurant 0.4 km