“Ancient stones, contemporary design and sylvan tranquillity in the Perigord: 2 glorious barn rentals (for 2-4 and 8-12, or by the room)”
Drawing on the combined sensibilities of the Commarque family, who have welcomed guests to their hilltop chateau for many years, the buildings have been reinvented to create an inspirational 6-bedroom hideaway (The Watermill) and a charming 1-bedroom retreat (Tobacco Barn). Each is set 10 minutes' walk from the main chateau, and 10 minutes' walk from one another. Inside, you'll find a clean-cut decorative mix of antiques with chunky rough-hewn wooden furniture, chalky-grey screed floors, bright kilims, masses of cut flowers and views out to the valley that create a mood that is both understated and uplifting. If you're in search of calme et comfort and prefer self-catering to catered-for, this is about as good as it gets.
- The setting is as peacefully pastoral as you could hope to find
- The Watermill's high-ceilinged sitting room provides a diaphanous focus for life at the mill house
- These are no ordinary gites, they're homes created with oodles of warmth and character
- All you need for self-catering in style; fab kitchens, attractive dining areas and the produce of the Perigord
- You're at the heart of one the most beautiful regions of France
- A car is a necessity given the relative isolation
- Summer dates get booked up way in advance so enquire early
- If you're renting out an individual room you'll be sharing the communal areas (kitchen, lounge) with other guests
- There's a minimum stay of a week during July-August
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Villas
- 2 rentals for 2-12
- Self-catering (breakfast included)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
The Watermill can comfortably sleep up to 12, with 4 double rooms in the main house and a further 2 doubles in an annexe just 30 metres away. The Tobacco Barn can sleep 2-4.
Rooms are toasty warm in the colder months thanks to underfloor heating, and this physical warmth is complemented by ancient beams, subtle lighting and deeply comfortable beds with padded headboards and Egyptian cotton linen.
Room 1 is on the ground floor of the main house with a big double bed which marries two twins, and a separate dressing room. Leading off, there's a large bathroom with a separate bath and shower. Room 4 is another cavernous double, which is similar in size and layout to Room 1 but there's no dressing room and its bathroom is enormous. Being that bit higher you get even better views out across the surrounding fields of lucerne. Rooms 2 and 3 are smaller, and interconnect to share a bathroom - ideal for kids, or families not wanting to rent the whole villa. They have the same twin/double bed arrangement, and low eaves impart a really snug feel.
If you're hiring the place with a small group of friends or family, the Annexe Rooms, numbers 5 and 6, might not come into the equation. But these are really comfortable too, sharing similar base elements to those of the main house, though they have electric radiators rather than underfloor heating.
The barn is a much smaller hideaway, ideal for couples or little families after maximum privacy. We're yet to personally view it, but we love the look of the high ceilings and the many windows that allow light to pour in. The bedroom sits at one end, where an elegant canopy bed dominates the space, and an open-plan living area spans the other. There's a full kitchen, a sitting area with 2 sofabeds for extra guests, a bathroom and a dining area.
- Cots Available
- Full kitchen
- Pool towels
- Washing machine
Both properties have full kitchens that are well-equipped for the keen cook. You get a gas hob, electric oven, double fridge, dishwasher, kettle, toaster and espresso coffee machine. There are stainless steel pots and pans of all shapes and sizes, and a full complement of glasses, cutlery and crockery. In the Watermill there's also a small laundry room with both washing machine and dryer. Note that if you're renting a room rather than the whole villa, you'll be sharing the kitchen with other guests.
Fresh pastries are delivered each morning, and you'll find other breakfast items like eggs, fresh fruit and homemade jams in the fridge. Aside from this, the basics (oil, salt, cleaning equipment) are provided, but you’d probably want to shop prior to arrival and, being at the heart of the Périgord, you couldn’t be better placed to do so. Stock up on all the local delicacies - truffles, ceps, foie gras, confit, chestnuts and local wines - and prepare to feast the week away. If you'd prefer to be spoilt, ask about their private chef service.
When it comes to heading out for your meals you can expect only memorable culinary experiences. For bistro-style dining of the pas cher and colourful variety, Chez Julien at Paunat, 10km away, would be first choice with Le Bistro d’en Face at Trémolat coming in a close second. Also in Trémolat is the Michelin-starred Le Vieux Logis. This place has legendary status in the Dordogne: book here for top Périgordian cuisine and the possibility of dining al fresco when weather permits. And for excellent regional cooking, great value for money, and a setting of rare beauty drive over to the L’Abbaye de Cadouin. You don’t need to don a hair shirt.
- Full kitchen
- In house cook
- Swim in the 17-metre pool or in the river that cuts through the wooded estate. There are sunloungers and daybeds for siestas under the mulberry tree
- Canoe or kayak down the Dordogne - the owners can arrange this for you
- The region has a wealth of historical gems to explore, including the Renaissance town of Sarlat, beautiful medieval churches and lots of quaint villages
- The 12th Century abbey at Cadouin is an evocative spot with occasional music and organ recitals
- Check out the cave paintings at Lascaux, which are amongst the most ancient in Europe and have been desginated a UNESCO World Heritage site
- Play golf: there’s an 18-hole course just 5km away (Siorac) and 2 more within easy driving distance
- Let the Commarque family guide you towards some of the areas best vineyards and wines: private visits can be arranged
- Follow waymarked hiking routes through the surrounding 5,000 hectares of forest. Alternatively you can explore by bicycle or on horseback, or get a bird's eye view from a hot-air balloon - the owners can arrange all of these
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Cooking classes
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Hot air ballooning
- Plantlife / flora
- Shopping / markets
Children would love it here and they are warmly welcomed. There's ample space for them to run around, and a pool for splashing about in. Parents should bear in mind that an unfenced stream crosses the property. Cots and high chairs are available, given prior notice.
Family friendly accommodation:
The Tobacco Barn is well set up for a small family, with 2 sofabeds in the living room. The Watermill has 2 rooms that interconnect and share a bathroom: ideal for kids or families not wanting to rent the entire property.
Babysitting available by arrangement
Baby cots available on request
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
The Watermill and the Tobacco Barn are set in the estate of a historic Chateau between Sarlat (28km) and Bergerac (40km) in the Dordogne region of southwest France.
Fly into Bergerac (40km) or Bordeaux (120km). Toulouse (150km) is also convenient.
From the Airport
We'd say hiring a car is essential, although if you can't drive the hotel can arrange a transfer - please enquire when booking.
If you'd prefer to travel overland from the UK, take the Eurostar from London to Paris, then the TGV to Sarlat (28km); there's a minor station at Le Buisson (7km).
If you need to hire a car, please see our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Bergerac Roumanieres 40.0 km EGC
- Bordeaux Mérignac 120.0 km BOD
- Beach 240.0 km
- Shops 5.0 km
- Restaurant 7.0 km