“A tranquil retreat on a verdant stretch of the river in central Siem Reap, with a stunning infinity pool, a spa, and a passionate commitment to art”
In fact, it’s a self-designed pet project by the Cambodian co-founder of the highly popularBrown Coffee chain, Hok Kang, a patron of the arts who has poured his passion for creativity into this hotel. From the tranquil airy courtyard to the riffle motif repeated everywhere in concrete mouldings and hardwood trim; from the unique works by local artists to the beautifully trained staff, this is a stay to savour.
A double-height reception welcomes you on arrival and leads into the courtyard, around which all 48 rooms are arranged. There's an excellent spa (i-escape guests each get a free massage), a restaurant serving generous breakfasts, and a noodle bar for fragrant daytime meals. But the piece de resistance is the first-floor infinity pool that gives the hotel its name, overlooking the treeline that fringes this quiet yet central spot on the river, five minutes to Pub Street and a leisurely 20-minute trundle to mighty Angkor.
- A steal by international standards for this level of service
- Genuinely welcoming – as opposed to faintly terrified – staff; everybody knows your name
- The infinity pool with views over the treetops
- Changing art exhibitions around the downstairs courtyard - recent shows include a retrospective of Cambodia’s greatest modern architect Vann Molyvann, and assorted local painters
- Good green credentials: from composting to cooking oil recycling and a quasi-evangelical rejection of single-use plastic
- Not nearly enough balconies, though other rooms have generous window seats instead
- Rooms on the south side may suffer some noise at night from the Temple Bar down the road, but management will fill those up last
- The Junior Suites, which we thought were the best rooms, are far too popular and fill up fast, so book early
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 48 rooms
- Restaurants and bar
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
- Laundry service
Rooms are generous in size and they all feature fine materials - green marble, leather, tropical hardwood - on every surface, in an austere yet sumptuous style. There’s something to look at in every corner of your room, from handmade ceramics to intricate works by leading local artist Sothea Tang.
For couples, the best but also the most sought-after option is the Junior Suites, with their huge balconies, vast terrazzo bathtub, desk, espresso maker, sunken safe, stunning pendulous art, gewgaws and gadgets. Families might choose the Deluxe Urban rooms as some can interconnect.
Every room has a pillow menu, and the minibars are free, plus there’s plenty of water in glass bottles to see you through the night.
- Air conditioning
- Coffee / tea making
- DVD player
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
Breakfast is a generous hotel-buffet spread with good jams, fresh fruit juice and (this being a former French colony) fresh bread and pastries. An imaginative a-la-carte menu of eggy dishes completes the picture. The restaurant also serves standard room-service fare.
Hok Noodle Bar and Grill is open from noon 'till night and is getting good reviews from locals. The focus is on regional produce and sharing plates, and the vibe is laid-back: food is cooked in an open kitchen and dining takes place at communal tables.
Further afield, don’t miss Cuisine Wat Damnak’s world-class creative cuisine using local (sometimes foraged) ingredients: book as soon as you can before arrival, it fills up fast. Khmer 652 serves authentic home-style Khmer cooking, or ‘auntie food’, and French comfort fare can be found at l’Atelier de Philippe, keeper of the Robuchon mash secret.
- Coffee / tea making
- Room service
- Unwind with a spoiling treatment at the hotel's Suri spa, with its blend of Ayurvedic and Southeast Asian traditions and self-mixed organic ointments
- Much of your time will be taken up by the Angkor conservation area, and it won’t be enough. Consider taking a long afternoon break and going again for 4pm, when it’s cooler and the hordes have mostly moved on
- Leave time for the Tonle Sap tour and a magical paddle through the submerged forest before puttering out for the sunset
- For great shopping for fabrics, handicrafts, knick-knacks and much more, or just a pleasant stroll, try trendy Kandal Village
- For bad shopping but a wealth of humanity in all its garish manifestations, wander around Pub Street and the Night Market - just once should do it!
- Contemporary art lovers can find good exhibitions at Batia Sarem gallery, One Eleven gallery, and Tribe Cambodia. Look out for the annual Angkor Photo Festival
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Cooking classes
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Traditional cultures
- Well being
Families are very welcome at Treeline. Some rooms connect and there are baby cots available. Kids will love splashing about in the pool, but be wary that it's in a peaceful spot and the vibe throughout the hotel is very calm and sophisticated - better for older children.
Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
All rooms can fit an extra guest on their sofabeds and have space for a baby cot. Three sets of Deluxe Urban rooms can interconnect on request.
Kids Activities on site:
- Airport: 25 minutes
- Shops: Five minutes
Treeline Urban Resort sits in a lush spot between two bridges on the river in downtown Siem Reap. The perpetually up-and-coming Wat Bo Street area is right on your doorstep.
Fly to Siem Reap International Airport (9.5km).
From the Airport
You can take a taxi or ask the hotel to arrange an airport transfer.
It's possible to take a ferryboat or speedboat from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap via Tonle Sap lake (4-6 hours), but choose your vessel with care - the crossing can be extremely rough and the boats get overcrowded. Some of slower cruises (2-3 days) are much more civilised.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Siem Reap International Airport 9.5 km REP
- Beach 540.0 km
- Shops 0.2 km
- Restaurant 0.2 km