Original features including triple-height doors and polished terrazzo floors sit comfortably beside contemporary fabrics and glassware in burnt orange, sky blue and lacquer red. Old antiques, unique pieces of furniture and superb artworks (including engravings of Greek and Roman statues) are from the owner's private collection. Bespoke canopy beds were inspired by classical frescoes. Yet such grandeur does not preclude comfort or practical living: the kitchens are very well-equipped, there's ample luggage storage, and luxurious bathrooms have power showers. The largest apartment, Canella, sleeps up to seven and has a roof terrace. Two others, Borsato and Hayez, have a pair of ensuite bedrooms apiece; the former has a knock-out view of the Grand Canal and Santa Maria della Salute. Lipparini is a romantic one-bedroom renovation on the first floor. A real find.
- A winning marriage of heritage, comfort and style
- An outstanding location on the Grand Canal, just minutes' walk from Piazza San Marco, and the famous Harry's Bar
- Warm croissants are hung on your door handle each morning, and there are great restaurants all around
- Apartments have a master bedroom, a second double/twin, and two bathrooms, so all work for couples, friends or families (except Lipparini, which has one bedroom)
- There's a multi-lingual concierge available every morning to assist with your stay, plus the delightful housekeeper and caretaker (Elvira and Roy) live on site
- The communal roof terrace doesn't have views of the Grand Canal
- Neither does Apartment Hayez, which overlooks the quiet piazza to the rear, and has a small kitchen; priced accordingly
- If you're arriving by the Alilaguna water-bus, you'll have to wheel suitcases around the houses from the San Marco jetty to reach the Palazzo (the entrance is to the rear, not on the water)
- No bathtub in romantic Borsato or Lipparini, and note kids under 6 are not permitted in Borsato
- A hefty security deposit is required; it is expensive if you include the fourth bedroom in Canella
Best time to go
Our top tips
Get deliberately lost; you'll discover an architectural delight here or a gondola workshop there while wandering the maze of backstreets.
- Boutique Apartments
- 4 apartments for 2-7
- Self-catering (daily croissants provided)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car not necessary
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Communal roof terrace
There isn't a poor choice amongst the four spacious apartments; each has been sensitively created within its heritage shell.
On the second floor, Hayez faces the quiet piazza to the rear of the Palazzo. It has a charming powder-blue entrance hall, and an orange and sage colour scheme throughout its lovely living/dining space, wonderful master bedroom with canopy bed, and smart double/twin bedroom. It can be linked via an internal staircase to one-bedroom Lipparini, which we're yet to see for ourselves, but we love the look of the romantic Venetian canopy over the super-kingsize bed and parquet flooring throughout.
On the third floor is jewel-coloured Canella, whose striking living/dining room (with commissioned mural) spans its length. A master double, twin and single bedroom share two bathrooms (one of which has a tub). Internal stairs lead to a converted attic space with two additional single beds (so it's perfect for larger families), a shower bathroom and a small roof terrace with lagoon views.
Also on the third floor, Borsato with its own elevator is the top choice for romantics: a stunning master bedroom and living room with blue highlights overlook the entrance to the Grand Canal. Beside the kitchen is the large bathroom with double walk-in shower; the second bedroom with a small shower bathroom is by the entrance.
- Safe box
All four apartments have well-equipped kitchens, although the one in Hayez is more of a kitchenette. Borsato has a small circular table but a larger dining table can be supplied on request; both Canella and Hayez have good-sized tables. Expect full cutlery, implements and crockery for 6-8 people, as well as a dishwasher, fridge-freezer, hob and oven. As a thank you for booking through i-escape you'll also receive a welcome hamper with jam, milk, butter, water, bread, coffee, tea and pre-mixed Bellinis!
Warm breakfast croissants are hung on your door to kick-start each day (let Elvira know what time suits). For other meals you'll need to eat out (a list of recommendations is provided), or self-cater. You can pre-order groceries, there's a supermarket eight minutes' walk away, or just pop to local restaurants and grab takeaway pizzas. For special occasions you can hire in a chef.
- Chef on request
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Restaurants nearby
- Shopping service
- A tourist trap, but justly so, San Marco Piazza is a must. Check out The Basilica, Torre dell'Orologio, Palazzo Ducale and Campanile. The Correr Museum's Napoleonic Wing has interiors by the painter for whom Apartment Borsato is named
- Cross the iconic Ponte dell'Accademia to sigh in raptures at the Grand Canal view to Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute, then visit the Galerie dell'Accademia for a wealth of fine art, including wonderful Canova sculptures. While you're feeling artistic, the Peggy Guggenheim museum of 20th-century art is almost next door
- Take the vaporetto - anywhere! Go to Murano for glassware, zip across to San Giorgio for fine city views or head up the Grand Canal passing under the Rialto bridge (alight here for the Rialto market on Saturdays)
- Check what classical music events are on; we saw a Vivaldi concert in the Scuola Grande San Teodoro one night, and an intimate performance of La Traviata in the piano nobile of a Palazzo
- By special arrangement take the hotel boat over to the Cipriani swimming pool or hang out at the Hotel Excelsior's glamorous beach club
Families are welcome and will find the central location and self-catering set up very useful (all apartments have microwaves and dishwashers). Best suited to babes in arms or kids aged over four; you'd have to watch toddlers carefully around the lovely fixtures and fittings, although of course they would be made welcome except in Borsato which has a minimum age requirement of six. One baby cot for a child up to three years old in Canella and Hayez is free on request; note that there are no rollaway extra beds.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Canella is the largest apartment with three bedrooms (a double, twin and a single) plus internal stairs to a converted attic space with twin beds, which also comes in handy as a playspace. Hayez and Borsato both have a second bedroom which can be set up as a twin. Hayez and Canella both have a bathtub. Lipparini hasa daybed in the living suitable for a child.
Kids Activities on site:
- Board games and playing cards
- Disney channels
- Airport: 1 hour
- Hospital: 12 minutes (on foot)
- Shops: 1 minute
The apartments are on Venice's Grand Canal, near San Marco Piazza.
Fly into Venice Marco Polo (13km) or Treviso Airport (30km); both have regular flights and easy access to central Venice.
From the Airport
Visitors arriving at Marco Polo can take the Alilaguna shared taxi-boat straight from the airport to the San Marco jetty, or a private water taxi to the Palazzo's private jetty (enquire when booking). It's also possible to take a regular bus service/taxi to Piazzale Roma (approx 40-minute drive) and walk or take a vaporetto (waterbus) down the Grand Canal (towards San Marco) and get off at the San Marco Giardinetti stop.
If you'd prefer to travel overland, you can reach Venice quite easily with the Eurostar from London, changing in Paris, or from other European cities. See Seat 61 for details. The owners can book a private taxi for those arriving by train - bringing guests to the Palazzo's private jetty.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com
More on getting to Venice and getting around
- Venice Marco Polo 13.0 km VCE
- Treviso 35.0 km TSF
- Beach 10.0 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km