“Washed by the waves, a family-friendly hotel with spacious suites, good food, a small spa and a big pool”
At the centre of these four gems, sitting on a sea-washed spit beside its own private sickle of dark sand, is this surprisingly un-Spartan hotel (Sparta - yes, that Sparta - is the region's main town). There's an impressive double-height lobby with lamps floating like blobs of mercury, 37 spacious bedrooms and suites with taupe palettes and sea views, plus a subterranean spa with its own little pool. But life here takes place outdoors: around the freshwater pool with its thatched bar, the cushioned sofas on their hard-won strip of lawn, the dining tables beautifully laid with candlesticks and bottles of Alas-branded wine. It's only 20 paces to the hotel's little beach, whose enclosed waters are safe and sandy. In every direction you gaze over languid seas to the silhouetted mountains of the Mani, behind which the sun sinks with reliably Instagrammable golds.
Information provided by Alas Resort & Spa on 17/07/2020.
Cleaning and hygiene
Specialized cleaning procedures for all public areas – especially for high touch points. Bedrooms are disinfected with a steam cleaner, and given maximum ventilation, between stays. We prefer not to clean rooms (or only infrequently) during the stay. We only change bedclothes and towels when requested; likewise evening turndown. Linen is washed at 90C in professional washing machines (ISO 9001: 2008). Decorative objects have been removed. Equipment is given to all staff (gloves, masks, robe, closed shoes).
Staff are trained in Covid-19 protocols, and asked to keep at least 1m from guests and from each other.
Food and drink
Kitchen staff will wear gloves and mask when interracting with outside staff or deliveries.
Limited numbers in the swimming pool at any one time, and of loungers and seats. In the spa, all treatments must be pre-booked; there are reduced treatment menus and fewer staff/sessions per day. During the treatment, clients must wear a protective mask (gloves are optional).
More flexible payment and cancellation policies.
Key cards are disinfected
- Kids will love it here, parents too: upbeat staff, good affordable food, massages to ease you into holiday mood
- The 2-bedroom senior suites have plenty of space for a family, the jacuzzi suites are great for a couple
- It's a 15-minute walk to the sleepy fishing harbour of Elea, with its bobbing boats and handful of summer tavernas and cafés
- There's just enough local culture to keep curious parents happy, and more than enough beaches to please the kids
- It's fun being with mostly Greek guests; barely another Brit in sight
- The hotel's beach is small with dark sand, but nicer ones are a short drive away
- Expect modern architecture, with a touch of bling in the common areas
- The pool can get loud with music, kids and visiting locals in high season
- WiFi, we're told, can be patchy
- It's a 2-hour drive from Kalamata airport, 3½ hours from Athens (consider a stopover in Nafplio)
Best time to go
July and August can get fairly busy with Greek families and occasional weddings or parties, but never as busy as the islands; and the combination of sea breeze and air-con keeps the hotel pretty cool (if not, the pool and sea are not far away!).”
Our top tips
- Breakfast included
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
The 37 rooms come in a variety of categories, with lovely sea views in all but entry level Eco. Classics have a small balcony that gets plenty of sunshine, and are fine for couples or two friends (you can choose between a queensize bed or two singles).
Senior Suites are best for families (sleeping four), with a private master bedroom (kingsize bed) and a smaller room for two children (comfy sofabed/s). The open-plan Junior Suite is ideal for a couple on a longer stay, or with one child, with some great sunset views from their balconies.
The huge Alas Suite is aimed at honeymooners or families wanting more space: there's a big terrace for all-day sunbathing and candlelit dinners under the stars.
Expect safe contemporary styling in a neutral olive-grey palette, with colour from orange balcony chairs or red washbasins. There's plenty of light from big sea-facing windows (except Eco rooms); light sleepers can request blackout blinds.
- Air conditioning
- CD player
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- DVD player
- Mosquito net
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
The impressive buffet breakfast is an easy-going, indulgent affair. There are plenty of hot and cold dishes, including fresh savoury filo pastries, homemade orange marmalade, sun-ripened fruits and delicious local yoghurt. Plus, they serve until a very agreeable 10.30am.
The chic Elia restaurant boasts floor-to-ceiling windows with dazzling sea views, a large open terrace for al fresco dining (under romantic candlelight), and rather stylishly plated-up dinner dishes.
The menu focuses on contemporary Mediterranean cuisine and classic Peloponnesian dishes, complimented by high-quality wines. Our spies tell us the octopus with garlic purée and the lamb in vineyard crust with florina peppers are two particular standouts. Also try the specialty desserts like the sweet orange cake (portokalopita).
There is a decent little kid’s menu featuring tasty favourites like grilled beef patties, linguine and chicken nuggets.
The Alas lounge bar serves a wide selection of cocktails, beers, aromatic coffees, soft drinks, and very commendable wines. Or you can pop into Elea for drinks at one of the simple harbourfront cafés.
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- At the hotel, waste your day at the freshwater pool or on the hotel's small beach (sunbeds and drinks are available)
- Pamper yourself at the fully equipped spa or try a cardio-respiratory or free weights session at the fitness centre
- Head along the Laconian coastline for a swim and lazy lunch at Viandini (2km) or Tigania (3km); or wander around low-key Elea fishing village, a 15-minute walk away
- Don't miss the stunning, car-free, medieval island-town of Monemvasia (40km), with its clifftop castle
- Heading west, the handsome harbour town of Gythion (40km) is also worth a visit; it was once Sparta's port - Helen and Paris spent a blissful night here before sailing for Troy
- Afterwards head to sandy Valtaki beach to swim alongside the rusting shipwreck of the Dimitrios; or continue to the sea caves of Diros for a subterranean boat tour through amazing stalactites
- Out of season, Elafonisos island has lovely sand-dune beaches and crystalline seas; well worth the 45-minute drive and short boat ride
- History buffs can explore the Byzantine churches and mansions of hilltop Geraki (40km): one of those magical, time-stood-still places
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Scuba diving
- Well being
This is a great spot for a family holiday, with spacious suites for 3-5, flexible dining on site, high chairs and cots on request, and a safe beach 20 paces away.
Family friendly accommodation:
Junior Suites can sleep a couple plus one child or baby; Senior Suites will suit a family of four; Alas Jacuzzi Suites can take five (book early, there are only two of these)
- Pushchair to borrow
- Baby bedding
- Bottle warming
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
- Kids menu
- High chairs
- Special mealtimes
Kids Activities on site:
- Kids books and DVDs
- Nickelodeon TV channel in rooms
Kids Activities nearby:
- Playground in the local village
- Airport: 2 hours (Kalamata)
- Clinic/Hospital: 15 minutes (Molai)
- Shops: 15 minutes (Molai)
Alas Resort & Spa is located in the southern Peloponnese, on the coast of Laconia midway between Gythion and Monemvasia. It is 3½ hours' drive from Athens or 2 hours from Kalamata.
Fly into Kalamata (150km) or Athens (320km).
From the Airport
From either airport, you could get a taxi or arrange a transfer via the hotel, but you will probably want a hire car to explore the area. See our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Athens 320.0 km ATH
- Kalamata 152.0 km KLX
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 6.0 km
- Restaurant 1.0 km