Three chic self-catering suites for 2-6, sharing a spectacular pool perched above the blue bay of Messinia”
Quite honestly, I don't know why she left. This is one of the most spectacular stretches of coastline in Greece, with clear blue seas, silvery olive groves, secluded pebbly coves tucked into deep inlets, and the huge peaks of Mt. Taygetos soaring up behind. To your left are the sandy beaches of Stoupa, to your right the picturesque fishing village of Kardamyli where Patrick Leigh Fermor - a famously well-travelled Grecophile - chose to live.
What a spot, then, for this trio of chic one- and two-bedroom suites, newly built in 2020. All face out past the eye-catching pool - which is shared between them - to the sea. Interiors are tasteful in a muted, minimal way, with wicker and wood furnishings, deeply comfortable queensize beds, open-plan living areas, and handy little kitchen corners for simple meals at home. You're perched above the bay of Delfinia, whose secluded beach and charming little kantina is 5 mins' walk away. Nearby are low-key beach bars, kayaks and SUPs to hire, ancient mulepaths to explore, fish tavernas to sample.
- Perfect for a family - or, better still, 2-3 families travelling together and taking the whole place
- Having a pool is a rare and welcome bonus here: not many licences are granted
- Being west-facing, there are sunsets to die for
- All 3 suites have a double sofabed if needed
- Outside school holidays, the 1-bedroom suites would make a gorgeous couple's hideaway (just don't let her sail off to Troy)
- Kitchen equipment is limited, and there are no ovens (only a 2-ring hob)
- Stoupa and Kardamyli are 3-4km away: you'll want a car
- The pool is shared, and poolside terraces separated only by fencing
- For a family holiday, the 1-bed suites will feel snug - especially if using the living room as a kids' bedroom
- All the beds are doubles (no twins)
Best time to go
- Self-catering suites
- 3 suites for 2-6
- Self-catering; restaurants 4km
- All ages welcome
- Closed: Dec-mid Feb
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Daily cleaning
There are two 1-bedroom suites, labelled Deluxe and Superior, though there's not much to choose between them. Both have an open-plan living-dining-kitchen area, with a table for 2-3 and a low sofa (that converts to a double bed); and, upstairs, a double bedroom with queensize bed and sea views. The Deluxe gets a private patio for secluded sunbathing, and two shower bathrooms (one up, one down). The Superior has direct pool access, but only one shower room (downstairs) and a mezzanine-style bedroom (so light and sound travels flows up from the living area).
The 2-bedroom suite, dubbed VIP though probably more popular with families, is the pick of the bunch. As well as two double bedrooms (both with sea-view balconies), it boasts a larger living area and poolside terrace (again with direct pool access), plus two shower rooms.
All of them share the same tasteful, neutral décor - cream walls with patches of golden stone, white cushioned sofas, dove-grey kitchen units, stylish wooden furniture, and a minimum of clutter. There's air-con, wafting curtains, good lighting and a wall-mounted TV (no satellite or film library). Shower rooms come with Korres toiletries, plenty of towels and a hairdryer.
- Air conditioning
- Coffee / tea making
- Hob or stove
- Mosquito net
- Pool / beach towels
- Safe box
The small open-plan kitchens are handy for breakfast and simple meals, but only the 2-bedroom suite has an oven, so don't plan on whipping up huge feasts. In all three, there's a fridge, sink, 2-ring electric hob, kettle, Nespresso machine, pans and basic supplies, including a starter hamper for your first breakfast. You can dine indoors (a bit of a squeeze for four in the 1-bedroom suites; otherwise fine), or more likely outdoors under the pergola on your poolside terrace.
The villages of Kardamyli and Stoupa (both 3-4km away) have supermarkets and grocery stores, as well as plentiful restaurants, cafés and bars. Seafront Lela's in Kardamyli is an institution, but we also love tucked-away Kiki's, while in Stoupa we ate well at beachside Almiriki. Nearest of all is the simple kantina on Delfinia beach (5 mins' walk), which serves delicious homemade snacks and simple dishes during the day, courtesy of friendly owners Voula and Nikos.
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Hob or stove
- Welcome hamper
- Wander down to pebble-sand Delfinia beach (5 mins' walk) for your morning swim or snorkel; bring a parasol if staying longer
- 5 mins the other way is the pirate-like cove of Foneas, with wonderfully clear turquoise waters
- There are sandy beaches at Stoupa (4km): our family loves Kalogria for its sandcastling, volleyball and loungers
- Wander around the pretty lanes, artsy boutiques and fishing harbour of Kardamyli, which retains a lovely low-key vibe
- Heading inland, explore the ancient stone villages of Pyrgos, Saidona and Kastania, cradled in the folds of the mountain
- Old cobbled footpaths still link many of them; the circuit from Pantazi beach up to Platsa and Pygi villages offers great coastal views
- Hire kayaks or SUPs from Stoupa or Kardamyli to explore sea-caves, islets and inaccessible coves
- Drive south to insta-perfect Limeni for fish lunch with a sea turtle; and beyond to fortified Areopolis and the sea caves of Diros
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
These suites are a great option for a family wanting a secluded escape with on-site pool and lovely beaches in reach, but who don't need the extra space and facilities of a villa. We think it would work best of all for 3 families travelling together, so that you can share the lovely pool but retreat to your own suite when you want. Bear in mind that the grounds (and staircases) are not toddler-friendly, and that there are no shops or proper restaurants in walking distance.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
We think the 1-bedroom suites work well for a family of 3 (or 4 at a pinch), using the living room sofabed for your child. The 2-bedroom suite is perfect for a larger family, though bear in mind that both bedrooms are doubles (no twin beds), so you may prefer to use a living room sofabed here as well.
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Local tavernas are invariably child-friendly, and most will offer half portions - and free WiFi.
Kids Activities nearby:
- Sandy beaches
- SUP and kayaking
- Beach volleyball (Kalogria)
- Snorkelling (bring your own equipment)
- Sea caves
Families Should Know:
Not really suitable for toddlers, due to unprotected drops around the pool and grounds; and, in the Deluxe Suite, the staircase has no real protection on the side.
- Airport: 1 hour / 50km (Kalamata)
- Supermarket: 3km (Stoupa)
- Health Centre: 6km (Ayios Nikolaos)
The suites are between the villages of Kardamyli and Stoupa, in the Messinia region of Greece's southern Peloponnese. It's 3.5 hours' drive from Athens or 1 hour from Kalamata.
Kalamata airport is the closest (51km / 1 hour). Or for a wider choice of flights, try Athens (307km / 3.5 hours, mostly on motorway).
You will almost certainly want a hire car in order to reach shops and restaurants (3-4km) and to explore the area.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Kalamata 51.0 km KLX
- Athens 307.0 km ATH
- Beach 0.4 km
- Shops 4.0 km
- Restaurant 4.0 km