“A 16th-century farmhouse turned 9-bed country bolthole with eclectic style, artistic flair and a quirky sense of humour”
The eclectic vibe continues upstairs, where 5 bedrooms evoke bohemian loft-style living, and outside where there's a converted Shepherds Hut and 3 romantic bedrooms in the old stable and barn. But this isn't a case of style over substance. There's a genuine sense of integrity throughout, from the soft Volga linen and organic Bramley bath products to the satisfying menu of posh pub classics showcasing local, seasonal and foraged produce. Cleverly designed so that city slickers and laid-back locals will feel equally at home, it’s essentially a wholesome country retreat that doesn’t take itself too seriously.
- The central Oxfordshire location makes it easily accessible for a weekend in the country
- We loved the quirky design and eclectic decor giving it a high-class but fun-filled atmosphere
- Stylish rooms, breakfast in bed and champagne by the glass ensure a romantic stay
- Lovely on-site eatery, The Mason Arms, serves up posh pub grub with a local twist
- No need to drive - it's just a short walk up to your bed after a few drinks
- Prices are high for a weekend break but drop substantially during the week
- Full pre-payment upon reservation
- There's a reduced restaurant menu on Sunday evenings and few vegetarian options
- Though certainly not noisy, it's an old property with wooden floors and creaking doors - some noise inevitably travels between rooms
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique pub with rooms
- Restaurant and bar open daily
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
Upstairs in the eaves of the pub, the 5 farmhouse bedrooms have original pitched ceilings, lead windows and stripped-back floors made cosy with Morris & Co furnishings, colourful bohemian rugs and vintage chairs. Each is individually styled but all have comfy kingsize or super kingsize beds and powerful rainfall showers in the ensuite bathrooms.
The smallest room is the Rabbit Hole, a compact but quirky hideaway ideal for single occupancy or a short stay for 2. More spacious and airy are the 2 Farmhouse Loft rooms with rolltop baths and Ceylon tea chest tables. We stayed in the open-plan Farmhouse Suite with a little more lounging space and a fabulous copper bathtub.
As part of an ongoing project, the farm outbuildings are being transformed into high-spec romantic hideaways. The Stable, the Stable Suite and the Barn Suite have lovely private terraces, but the latter really has the wow factor with its stunning 4-poster bed, bespoke log burner and emerald tiled bathroom. There's also a converted Shepherd's Hut tucked away in the garden - ideal for those after some privacy.
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
Set around a huge open fireplace, The Mason Arms is a thatched, cosy countryside pub, but don't be fooled by its quaint exterior. Designed in collaboration with artists The Connor Brothers, inside it’s a playful space with lots of eccentric twists.
For breakfast choose à la carte delights such as buttermilk pancakes with streaky bacon and maple syrup, or dippy eggs fresh from the pub’s very own chickens. If you’re feeling decadent, they’ll happily bring it to your room. Lunch is a casual affair over a pint with tempting options such as mussels in Cotswold cider or artichoke, root vegetable and cob nut cobbler. Dinner - slightly more formal with mood lighting and intimate seating - continues the theme of local, seasonal and foraged produce. The robata grill menu includes whole market fish, flat iron chicken and succulent sirloin. Meat sourced from neighbouring farms, veg from the kitchen garden and cocktails inspired by the countryside ensures foodies won't leave disappointed.
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Room service
- Country walks right from the doorstep - don't forget to bring your wellies
- The quaint market town of Witney (5km) has shops, a 12th-century church and a standout vegan restaurant
- Visit studenty Oxford (16km), steeped in culture and history
- Explore the Cotswolds with its chocolate-box villages and towns such as Northleach (35km) with its famous Wheatsheaf Inn or the antiques centre of Burford (20km)
- The village of Minster Lovell (9km) has a ruined 15th-century manor house beside the River Windrush with beautiful wild swimming spots nearby
- Don't miss splendid Blenheim Palace (14km) - birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill and home to the 12th Duke of Marlborough
- Head to Daylesford (27km) for its legendary organic farm, deli, cafe and cookery school
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
Families are welcome but it's definitely more of grown-up getaway. Note that children under 12 are not allowed in the restaurant in the evening (except babes in arms), but are welcome at all other times and there is a kids' menu. Children are also welcome in the pub at all times.
Babies (0-1 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
The Farmhouse Suite and Farmhouse Loft rooms can fit a baby cot. One of the Loft rooms can fit an extra bed if required.
Baby cots and high chairs
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
- Hospital: 19km (Oxford)
- Cotswold Country Park: 50km
Artist Residence Oxfordshire is set in South Leigh, a small village between Witney and Oxford, on the edge of the Cotswolds.
London Heathrow (86km) is your best bet if arriving from overseas. The small airfield outside Oxford (16km away) receives a few short-haul and private flights.
It's about 1.5 hours' drive from London, Birmingham or Bristol. See our car rental recommendations.
Hanborough Station (10km) is connected to London Paddington by hourly direct trains (journey time 1 hour 15 mins). Book a taxi from the station in advance.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
More on getting to the UK and getting around
- London Heathrow 86.0 km LHR
- Birmingham 113.0 km BHX
- Beach 150.0 km
- Shops 0.5 km
- Restaurant 2.0 km