Two stunningly renovated Cotswold cottages (sleeping 6-10) which marry ancient architecture with contemporary furnishings”
With its large open-plan kitchen and three bedrooms, Olive Cottage (sleeps 6-8) is perfect for a large or extended family. Next door, Willow Cottage (sleeps 8-10) offers four bedrooms over three floors, multiple living spaces, and a separate courtyard and garden: ideal for a group or multi-generational family. Brand new, fully equipped Shaker kitchens and ProCook stoneware make eating in an absolute joy, while award winning pubs are only a short walk away. Nestled on the outskirts of a picture-perfect Cotswold village, The Shipton Hideaways are less than 5 miles north of Burford, the ‘Gateway to the Cotswolds”, and only half an hour from Blenheim and Woodstock to the east, or Bourton-on-the-Water and the Slaughters to the west.
- Spacious and thoughtfully authentic interiors which make you feel instantly at home
- You're in the heart of the Cotswolds and you'll rarely need to travel more than 30 minutes from the cottage
- Luxe interiors and open fires which make staying local very tempting, whatever the weather
- Book both cottages for a flexible and sociable family gathering or a big reunion with friends
- We found the kitchens extremely well equipped for self-catering
- Some of the ceilings can be quite low
- The twin bedroom in Olive is only really suitable for children
- You'll need a car to make the most of the area
- It's not cheap - but when you stay, you'll see why
- A 5-night minimum stay requirement during school holidays
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique cottages
- 2 cottages for 2-8/10
- Self-catering; pub nearby
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Electric car charger
Both cottages honour their 400-year-old pedigree with original stonework, fireplaces and beams; but they are also super practical, thanks to brand-new Shaker kitchens, handpicked furniture and smart heating.
Olive Cottage (sleeps 6-8) has a flagstoned ground floor with an open-plan kitchen and diner, a lounge with fireplace and sofabed, and a utility room with washing machine and dryer, and bathroom. The wooden staircase takes you up to a double room with an ensuite shower bathroom and twin bedroom under the eaves. A further ascent brings you to the loft room with double bed. Outside the front is a double driveway and small patio, while to the rear is a large seating area with dining furniture, and a raised lawn.
Willow Cottage (sleeps 8-10) has two living rooms on the ground floor - perfect for allowing kids and adults their own space. To the rear there's a kitchen with an Aga, a huge wooden dining table with seating pew, and adjoining utility room and toilet. On the first floor are two double bedrooms, plus the family bathroom. The master also has its own open-plan ensuite with bath. On the top floor are two extra bedrooms in the loft: one double and one twin. The lovely, secluded courtyard next to the kitchen leads into a gorgeous sheltered garden with plenty of room for the kids.
- Central heating
- Tumble dryer
- Washing machine
Each cottage has a brand new, stunningly equipped kitchen with everything from organic coffee capsules to a Nutri-bullet to keep you going during your stay. Contemporary and traditional elements have been beautifully combined, Belfast sinks sit effortlessly next to top of the range appliances and the gorgeous ProCook stoneware looks every bit at home amongst flagstone floors and original beams.
The closest option if you’re looking to eat out is The Lamb, only a few minutes’ walk down the rad. Owners Peter and Tom, the award-winning owners of the The Bell in Langford, have created a modern country pub feel, showcasing their love of a hearty, classic, British menu with the addition of wood-fired dishes and an extensive wine and beer list.
Upton Fire House is just one of the surprisingly chic eateries within a 10-minute drive. The restaurant offers hearty (and often re-invented) classics while the gourmet pizza and BBQ nights showcase seasonal ingredients changing on a weekly basis. Pick-up some local produce from a plethora of farm shops: Daylesford is perhaps the most obvious but don’t miss out on under-the-radar Upton Smokery or Jeremy Clarkson’s Diddly Squat.
- Chef on request
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Restaurants nearby
- Picturesque market towns nearby include Burford, Chipping Norton, Stow-on-the-Wold, Lechlade and Bampton (where Downton Abbey is filmed)
- Wychwood Wild Garden, a few minutes’ walk away, is perfect for families looking to get of the house especially with pushchairs or smaller children
- Wonderful walks are a staple of the Cotswolds, and wildlife buffs can spot otters in several rivers; we saw red kites, partridges and egrets on even the busier routes
- Wild swimming is a delight in summer: Buscot Weir and Cotswold Country Park & Beach are popular, the river pools in the Windrush (near Minster Lovell) and Evenlode (near Stonesfield) are secret gems
- Blenheim Palace, the birthplace of Winston Churchill, has gilded state halls, impressive artworks and 2000 acres of Capability Brown landscaped parkland
The cottages are great for families, Willow Cottage has a larger garden. There are no extra beds but both Willow and Olive Cottage have a sofabed which sleeps two. Baby cots are available in both cottages.
Babies (0-1 years), Toddlers (1-4 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Willow Cottage has four bedrooms, Olive Cottage three so both work well for family groups. One bedroom in each cottage is a twin.
Kids Activities on site:
- Kids books in Willow Cottage
- Toys in Willow Cottage
Families Should Know:
There are some steep steps and open fires in both Cottages
- Airport: 90 minutes
- Hospital: 15 minutes (Chipping Norton)
- Shops: 2 minutes
The Shipton Hideaways are on the edge of the lovely village of Shipton-under-Wychwood, just north of Burford on the A361 to Chipping Norton.
It's only 1.5 hours from Bristol or Birmingham by car and 2 hours from central London. Both cottages come with off-street parking for two cars apiece. EV charging is available.
Shipton has its own railway station, a 25-minute walk or 5-minute taxi from the houses. There are direct trains from Paddington, taking around 1.5 hours.
If flying to the UK, the nearest airports (Birmingham and London Heathrow) are about 1.5 hours' drive away.
Detailed directions will be provided when you book through i-escape.
- London Heathrow 112.0 km LHR
- Birmingham 86.0 km BHX
- Beach 0.0 km
- Shops 1.1 km
- Restaurant 0.3 km