“A wonderfully unique and tranquil artist’s villa, filled with silk paintings, sculptures and antiques, set in atmospheric Trastevere, Rome's ‘Left Bank’”
As for Trastevere, it's Rome’s most charming district, all ochre-and-orange 17th-century buildings, tangled ivy, narrow cobbled lanes and inspiring piazzas. You're midway between the Vatican and the Colosseum (20-30 minutes' walk from either), and just 15 from Piazza Navona and the Pantheon on the opposite bank.
- A real Italian gem, with beauty, style and tranquillity in equal measures, plus it's perfectly located in Trastevere, near the sights but away from the tourist hordes
- Beautiful and elegant rooms, with an intimate atmosphere and lots of attention to detail
- Gorgeous sitting room with art books and artworks
- The chance to visit Luisa Longo’s atelier and buy her work
- We loved the Italian buffet breakfast during our 2014 revisit (particularly the Parma ham and homemade cakes) - an unusual and delightful surprise in Rome! Dinner can be served on request, too
- Bathrooms are a bit small and the Rome Room lacks a bathtub
- Pin-drop peaceful, so if you want a lively stay, look elsewhere; plus we found the atmosphere in the sitting room to be a little stiff
- Closed for 2 months each year due to government regulations regarding B&Bs
- Mosquitoes are Rome's summer menace, though each room has an electric device to kill them
- Rates may increase significantly based on availability or at peak times
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique B&B
- Breakfast (+ dinner on request)
- All ages accepted
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
The 3 themed rooms have dark wood floors, abstract silk paintings, antique furniture, white linen, silk bedspreads, flat-screen TVs and DVD players. The simple, abstract bedheads are all designed by artist-owner Luisa. Bathrooms are brown-and-white Bassetta-tiled, and stocked with Etro toiletries and hairdryers.
Downstairs, the Tinto Room - which was completely refurbished in 2014 - overlooks the courtyard. The kingsize bed, with its mustard yellow and blue headboard, lies alongside a wall covered in beautiful hand-painted prints of theatre costumes from around the world. This room has the largest bathroom which features an inviting tub.
The Chocolate Room is the largest and opens directly onto the courtyard. Inspired by woodland colours, the furniture is upholstered in rich browns and coppers, with glass lamps at either side of the huge kingsize bed and a pretty bronze-coloured headboard. A little antique desk finishes off the decoration. There’s a walk-in wardrobe and the bathroom has a tub.
We were lucky enough to be upstairs in the Rome Room - our favourite! It also has a kingsize bed, as well as an Yves Klein blue rug, a walnut circular table and an antique chest of drawers. But it’s what’s on the outside that really made our jaws drop - a huge, enchantingly pretty terrace that’s plant-filled, sun-dappled and dotted with comfortable and chic loungers.
- Air conditioning
- CD player
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Safe box
Meals are taken in the dining room around a large oval table, with hand-painted table mats and napkins, overlooked by an Art Deco wardrobe painted with a bucolic scene. A modernist chandelier, resembling swirling silver fireflies, throws tadpole-like silhouettes onto the walls (it’s by a Paris-based Algerian artist). Drinks are served here throughout the day - just ask!
The sideboard, underneath an abstract silk-organza panel, groans with an immaculate buffet breakfast, including coffee or tea, orange juice, fruit salad, cereals, Parma and cooked ham, cheeses, homemade cakes and biscuits, pastries, yoghurts and different breads. You can choose how you'd like your eggs, and room service is available for an extra charge.
If you want to stay in for dinner (on request; for 2+ people only), you get delicious typical Italian fare such as a variety of pasta, meat and fish cooked by the housekeeper. You can also enjoy pre-dinner drinks on the terrace before you head out to sample Trastevere's many restaurants and family-run trattorias. There are many greateateries on your doorstep; Spirito Divino is great for flavoursome, home-cooked pasta dishes alongside a fantastic array of Italian wine, while La Gattabuia serves exceptional Roman pizza.
- Coffee / tea making
- Dinner by arrangement
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- One of the best activities in Rome is to wander. Pretty Trastevere, with all its bars, restaurants and little shops, is a great place to hone your strolling, lounging, eating and quaffing skills
- You’re minutes from the Piazza Santa Maria, Trastevere’s main square, with its beautiful church fronted by gold mosaics
- Sashay southeast and you’ll find the Basilica di Santa Cecilia, the church of the patron saint of music. Here Cecilia’s statue reclines as if asleep - apparently a rendering of her miraculously intact body, found when her tomb was opened 1,369 years after her death
- If you want to cycle, staff can recommend a nearby place to hire bikes. Roughly one Sunday a month central Rome is banned to traffic, so if you’re around on one of these special days, it’s a great idea to pedal through the usually traffic-clogged historic centre
- Staff at the B&B can also arrange private guided tours of Rome, taking in the main sights (including the Colosseum, the Pantheon, the Vatican, Piazza Navona and the Trevi Fountain), as well as hidden squares, little-known churches and peaceful parks
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
Buonanotte Garibaldi isn't ideal for children because of all the art and the hushed atmosphere. It’s not that they don’t accept children (a cot is available, and apparently older children have often stayed here); rather, it’s too much of a grown-up haven to be a prime choice for a holiday with kids.
Babies (0-1 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Babysitting is available by arrangement.