Inside, muted colours and minimal furnishings lend the 2- and 3-bedroom apartments a modern, Scandi feel; high ceilings and tall windows add to the comfortable sense of space. They’re chic, but not intimidatingly so: homes-away-from-home. Owned by the Hotel Ciutat de Girona (5 minutes’ walk over the bridge), you're welcome to use their pool and spa, or have a breakfast buffet there. But the apartments’ open-plan kitchens, cosy living rooms and sun-drenched balconies might tempt you to stay put for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- A perfect riverside location in the heart of the Old Town, 30 mins' drive from golden beaches
- Spacious, light-filled interiors, with pops of 50s-style furnishings
- Great for families; all bedrooms can be set up as twins and our toddler loved the suitcase of toys provided for him
- Wonderful restaurants all around, and excellent kitchens for self catering a few meals
- Guests have access to a pool and spa at the nearby sister hotel
- Our double bedroom was on the small side, but there was tons of space in the apartment itself
- There's no parking in the Old Town. Perhaps ditch the car altogether and travel here by plane and train
- Note, rates do not include a final cleaning fee and security deposit, both of which must be paid in cash on arrival
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Apartments
- 8 apartments for 2-6
- Self catering (restaurants nearby)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car not necessary
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Laundry Service
The 4 categories of apartment vary in size (through Comfort, Luxury, Penthouse Comfort and Penthouse Deluxe), but each features the same elegant muted décor. It’s all creams and beiges, with minimal artwork – a framed wall hanging here, nest of copper tables there. Excellent lighting includes warm spotlights and Scandi-style lamps, meaning you can create perfect mood lighting any time.
Comfort and Luxury apartments each have 2 bedrooms and 1 shower bathroom; the penthouses add extra m2, with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms apiece – perfect for families with older kids. The Penthouse Comfort has an interior balcony linking the 2 bedrooms, while the Penthouse Deluxe has the added luxury of a suntrap terrace that looks out towards the emblematic Rambla de la Llibertat and the River Onyar.
You’re in the heart of the Old Town, above bistros and bars, but inside it is blissfully silent: soundproofing and calming bedrooms guarantee a good night’s sleep.
- Safe box
- Washing machine
Well-equipped open-plan kitchens and comfortable living spaces (plus a breakfast bar in the Deluxe Penthouse) are cosy settings for holiday meals. For a small surcharge, you can breakfast at Hotel Ciutat, a 5-minute walk away. Served in the colourful dining room, it has all the buffet classics – eggs, bacon, a selection of bread and a self-serve juice machine – but no a la carte options. Back at the apartments, swanky coffee machines and an artisan bakery next door might tempt late risers to have breakfast in bed, instead.
For other meals, Hotel Ciutat has a relaxed lobby bar and a good-value Mediterranean-style restaurant, but Girona is a foodie hotspot so it’s worth venturing out to top-rated restaurants for meals. If you haven’t pre-booked a table at 3 Michelin-starred El Celler de Can Roca (voted one of the world’s best eateries), don’t worry! Cosy bistros, gourmet tapas bars, and laid-back fish restaurants are dotted around the Old Town.
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Restaurants nearby
- Catering service
- Explore the Old Town: walk along the medieval walls for stunning panoramas, admire the Gothic nave in the cathedral, wander the cobbled streets of the Jewish Quarter, and visit the Arab Baths
- Stroll along the River Onyan past colourful houses, and criss-cross over stone bridges
- Hotel Ciutat offers private themed tours around the city and region – choose from a cultural tour of Girona’s historic hotspots to a foodie tour, to a moonlight trekking tour in the foothills of nearby mountains!
- Explore the Catalonian countryside by bike (Hotel Ciutat can arrange rentals) or book a hot-air balloon ride for a bird's eye view
- Day trip around the 3 main sights of the Dalí Triangle: the museum in Figueres, his house in Port Lligat and the castle in Púbol
- Bask on beautiful hidden beaches in the Costa Brava (30 mins' drive), or hop on the train to see Barcelona’s Modernist gems (40 mins)
- You're free to use Hotel Ciutat's spa and saltwater pool; treatments include a chocolate body wrap, sports massage and reflexology
These are family-friendly apartments, stylishly decorated but not intimidatingly so for parents with small children. All bedrooms can be set up as twins or doubles, and cots are available upon request (no surcharge). We loved the age-appropriate suitcase full of toys left out for our little one – a really nice touch. You're welcome to use nearby Hotel Ciutat's heated spa pool, too (children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult).
Family friendly accommodation:
There are 4 categories to choose from: Comfort and Luxury, which each have 2 bedrooms, or Penthouse Comfort and Penthouse Deluxe, which each have 3 bedrooms. Every apartment can fit a baby cot too.
Kids Activities on site:
Toys and books
- Airport: 20 mins' drive (Girona)
- Hospital: 10 mins' taxi
- Shops: outside the apartment
Girona is an hour north of Barcelona in Catalonia, northeast Spain. The apartments are in the heart of the Old Town, backing the River Onyan.
Fly into Girona (16km) or Barcelona (118km). It’s a 20-minute journey from Girona airport; we'd recommend taking a taxi. From Barcelona airport, it takes roughly an hour by car (an easy drive along the high-speed toll road to Girona), or you could take the train (1 hour 10 minutes) then a taxi.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.com.
- Girona 16.0 km GRO
- Barcelona El Prat 118.0 km BCN
- Beach 35.0 km
- Shops 0.2 km
- Restaurant 0.2 km