“Seriously stylish new resort in south Skiathos with 4 stunning beaches on your doorstep and luxe rooms with 5-star views”
Built on the abandoned site of the historic Xenia hotel, the resort (which includes a 32-room hotel, 12 'Grace' beachside suites and a further 'Nest' of villas and suites) is the island’s most anticipated opening in years. It doesn’t disappoint. The low-rise lines of the original building have been sensitively retained, complete with sweeping terraces and a huge, light-filled lobby. But this is no museum piece. Interiors throughout are hip, understated and comfortably contemporary, there are private pools galore and the hotel’s fabulous restaurants (both fine-dining Leda & the Swan and poolside Nest) are fast becoming destinations in their own right. For Elivi’s youthful, style-conscious clientele, it ticks all the boxes - and delivers envy-inducing Instagram views at every turn.
- Four of the island’s most beautiful beaches right on the doorstep, including Banana Beach
- Rooms and suites boast blissful beds and outdoor spaces; many have hot tubs or plunge pools, too
- A full Elemis spa, tennis courts, yoga lessons - you won't get bored
- We enjoyed golf cart rides to the beach – lazy but fun – and sunset dips in the pine-shaded pool
- To preserve discrete areas within the resort for couples and families, those travelling with children under 12 are welcomed in the Nest Villas and Suites, other accommodation is reserved for those with older kids or couples
- Pricey, and a 4-night minimum stay
- Larger than most hotels on i-escape (but we couldn't resist!) and a bewildering array of room types (see Rooms for guidance)
- The breakfast buffet gets very busy, and we were bothered by wasps on the dining terrace
- Service can be inconsistent but it's early days and we're confident it will quickly improve
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurants & bar (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Closed: Mid October-late April
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Tennis Court
Stylish without being showy, rooms are an exercise in liveable luxe. Colour palettes are muted and beds are made with crisp, white, super-high-thread-count linens. The details are spot on, too, from the cut-above spirits and snacks in the minibar to space-age panels that open curtains and dim lights at the touch of a button. And all that’s before you step onto your terrace or balcony to check out the sparkly sea views.
The only tricky thing is the bewildering array of room types. Opt for one of the hotel's Double Superior Rooms and you can roll out of bed straight into your plunge pool; a private slice of a long thin pool cleverly spread along the row of room terraces. The dappled morning sun costs no extra and all rooms get plenty of it. We loved rising early to wander down the steps to Koukounaries Beach before the summer-season crowds arrived. Double Deluxes are essentially the same but on the first floor so no direct pool access.
Bathrooms are, of course, gorgeous: showers big enough for 2 plus tubs in the larger rooms, and Elemis products for all.
Up a notch are the Grace Suites on white-sand Ambelakia beach, which all have small private pools. Choose from a Junior Suite, Suite or the vast Double Grace Suite for up to 6, with a large pool.
The rest of the accommodation is in the 'Nest', a cluster of rooms, suites and villas in amongst olive trees and pine groves, with a second main pool. Families with children under 12 are welcome in these rooms. They range from Double Supreme Deluxe Rooms through Junior Premium Suites up to Premium Suites, and the more you pay, the more space you get. Some Supreme Deluxes have private plunge pools and loungers in the garden. Junior and Premium Suites on the upper floor have hot tubs; those on the ground floor have private plunge pools. Finally, the Interconnected Suites are great for groups, as is the Seafront Swan Villa, which sleeps 6 and has its own swimming pool.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Ipod dock
- Safe box
Breakfast is an extravagant affair – eggs to order and a buffet of pancakes, waffles, fruits galore, bowls of sesame-topped greens, anything you can think of, really. You can eat indoors or out on the spacious terrace.
The same terrace is later one of the best spots on the island for sunset cocktails. It’s also ideal for drinks pre- or post dinner at the hotel’s cut-above (and accordingly expensive) Leda & the Swan restaurant. The wines might be predominately Greek (a touch we loved) but the menu is international in feel, serving ambitious meat and fish dishes (pan-fried scallops, beef carpaccio, perfectly cooked salmon) with formal flair.
More laid-back is the Nest pool bar, which dishes up low-key snacks (salads, sandwiches, hot dogs) as well as more extravagant Mediterranean/seafood dishes and an evening sushi menu. There are also lots of local eateries, for a change of scene.
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- With 4 stunning beaches on its doorstep (one of which, Ambelakia, is rarely visited by anyone other than hotel guests), the Elivi is all about shoreside relaxation. The supersize loungers and umbrellas are free for hotel guests. Note, Little Banana is a nudist beach
- Use of the spa’s sauna, hammam and refresher pool is also free for guests. Additional Elemis spa therapies (massage, facials, beauty treatments) are available in relaxing treatment rooms
- Those with energy to burn will love the beach watersports (wakeboarding, water skiing, SUP, jet skiing, parasailing), as well as the outdoor yoga studio and well-equipped gym
- There are some beautiful hikes (the concierge can help with routes) around the surrounding nature reserve
- Explore the island. Take a trip to the wilder north side to discover ancient towns, hilltop churches and secluded beaches; hire a boat to explore the uninhabited islands of Tsougria and Arkos; head into town (it’s a 20-minute taxi ride) to shop, eat, drink or party on Skiathos’s small-but-chic club strip
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Jet skiing
- Museums / galleries
- Scuba diving courses
- Shopping / markets
- Stand Up Paddleboarding
- Well being
- Wine tasting
Families are welcome here and will love the beaches. Sporty kids will enjoy the watersports, tennis and basketball courts; older teens the low-key nightlife of Skiathos Town, a 20-minute taxi ride away. There is a kids club being added for 2019 (details to follow) and children’s menus (or adapted dishes) and high chairs are available, swimming pools have life guards and babysitting can be arranged.
Family friendly accommodation:
All families are welcome in the Nest Villas & Suites only. Families with children of 12 years and older are welcome to also stay at Elivi Xenia Hotel and the Elivi Grace Suites
Cots and high chairs
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
Swimming pools, tennis, basketball
Kids Activities nearby:
Families Should Know:
The hotel hasn’t been specifically designed to cater for young children so parents with toddlers in tow will need to be vigilant of unprotected drops and unfenced pools.
- Airport: 15km (Skiathos)
- Shops: 0.4km
- Medical facility: 12km
Elivi is in Koukounaries Bay in the southwest of Skiathos, which is one of the Sporades islands. It's 12km from Skiathos Town and port, and 15km from the airport.
Skiathos Airport (15km away) has year-round flights from Athens, and direct flights from the UK and elsewhere in high season. You can book an airport transfer but most guests hire a car from the airport. Alternatively you can fly into Volos or Athens on the mainland (see below).
Ferries and hydrofoils arrive daily from Volos (1 hour - 2.5 hours' crossing) and from Agios Konstantinos (1.5 - 3 hours' crossing), which is 2 hours' easy drive from Athens airport.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Skiathos Airport 15.0 km JSI
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 0.4 km
- Restaurant 0.4 km