A luxurious and contemporary self-catering bolthole for 2, set in secluded sub-tropical gardens above Mousehole’s gorgeous harbour”
From the moment we stepped through the huge wooden gate (originally the door to a Moroccan village) we felt transported to the Med. Dotted with succulents, palms and lavender, the exquisitely landscaped garden led us up to the front door. Inside, traditional North African ornaments mingle with contemporary features: an egg-shaped wood-burner, a Sonos sound system, a freestanding steel bathtub, and stunning commissioned art work. Huge picture windows gaze over the picturesque rooftops of Mousehole; a charming corner of Cornwall, replete with tempting restaurants, shops and galleries. While you're here, venture a little further to explore St Ives, Penzance, Porthcurno Beach and Sennen Cove.
Information provided by Fallen Angel on 24/11/2021.
Cleaning and hygiene
Deep cleans on every changeover using hospital grade disinfectant. Hand sanitizer is available in the house and guests are requested to use this regularly. We ask guests strip their own bed before departure and leave in the bag provided.
In the event of cancellation due to government restrictions meaning guests cannot travel or we cannot operate then we are offering mutually agreeable alternative dates or failing this a full refund.
Arrival time is 4.30pm and departure 9.30 am.
- A wonderfully spacious bolthole for 2 with spectacular views and a big garden – perfect for a honeymoon or special occasion
- Secluded and private, yet within a minutes’ walk of charming Mousehole’s pretty harbour
- A great kitchen with all the utensils you could possibly need, plus hampers and chef-made meals on request
- Extremely comfortable bed and a decadent freestanding tub with sea views
- The owners know Cornwall inside out, and can advise and book everything from foraging tours to surf lessons to luxury hampers
- It may look pricey for a 1-bedroom rental, but this is a truly luxurious and unique place to stay: worth every penny
- No designated parking area
- Though carefully designed to maximise privacy (and not closely overlooked), some may find the bathtub and shower a little exposed - electric blinds help
- No indoor dining table, although there are comfy seats around the kitchen island, plus outdoor tables and chairs
- A steep access lane and indoor staircases
Best time to go
Our top tips
If you’re visiting at the weekend, book a table at one of Mousehole’s restaurants in advance, as they book up fast.”
- Boutique Cottage
- 1 bedroom
- Self catering; restaurants nearby
- Babes in arms only
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
Every aspect of this architect-designed 1-bedroom cottage has been meticulously planned. Step inside to be greeted by an ultra-modern brushed-steel and grey-oak kitchen, positioned on attractive Spanish patterned ghost tiles. You won’t find a TV in the expansive main living space, instead floor-to-ceiling windows open onto a balcony overlooking the Cornish coastline. For cold winter days, there is a striking egg-shaped wood burner, a comfy sofa and warming underfloor heating. If you fancy a movie night, duck into the cosy TV snug at the back of the house.
Downstairs, the bedroom is really impressive, although you do need to navigate a steep staircase to reach it. Here you’ll find a heavenly kingsize bed, a freestanding steel bathtub, a rain shower and a w/c. Again, floor-to-ceiling windows look out onto the garden and harbour beyond. The view from the bed really is amazing. The brave can bathe with the blinds up to enjoy changing scenery, but at the flick of a button they come down for privacy. From the bedroom, stroll straight into the garden and relax by the cool fire pit.
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- DVD player
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Satellite TV
- Sonos music system
- Tumble dryer
- Washing machine
The modern kitchen is well-equipped with all mod cons, plus seating for 4 around the island. There’s no separate dining table, but the garden and balcony have tables and chairs.
For breakfast, you'll find the basics in the fridge: bread, butter, tea, coffee and milk. You can also have an indulgent breakfast or picnic hamper sent to your door.
On a relaxed summer’s evening, perhaps do as we did - grab a bottle of wine and cook up steaks on the outdoor fire pit barbecue. There’s nowhere better to watch the sun sink below the horizon. If you don’t want to cook, Mark and Jane can arrange a private chef or you can have chef-prepared meals delivered to your door, ready to pop in the oven.
Happily, Mousehole has no shortage of great restaurants. We ate at 2 Fore Street, a relaxed and unfussy bistro-style restaurant just short stroll from Fallen Angel. The regularly changing menu offers tasty specialties featuring plenty of fresh local seafood, plus there’s a good wine selection. Around the corner, The Old Coastguard offers simple food done well, with great views out to sea.
- Chef on request
- Coffee / tea making
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Restaurants nearby
- Stroll around Mousehole harbour, lined with galleries, delis and cafés, and watch boats come and go. There's a small patch of beach, too
- Head to gorgeous Porthcurno beach (25 mins) for white sand and turquoise water, you'd be forgiven for thinking you were in the Mediterranean
- Watch an open-air play or take a tour at the world-famous Minack Theatre (20 mins), hewn from the cliff above the Atlantic
- Gallery-hop your way around Penzance, Newlyn, St Just and St Ives (all within a short drive)
- In summer, head to Penzance’s Art-Deco saltwater lido
- Mark and Jane have contacts for stand-up paddle boarding, surf sessions, foraging, coasteering, kayaking and more
- Request a spa treatment in the cottage - anything from massages to manicures can be arranged
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Plantlife / flora
- Shopping / markets
A babe in arms is welcome, and Fallen Angel can provide a travel cot and high-chair free of charge, as well as organise a babysitter. The house is unsuitable for toddlers due to the layout and steep hilly location.
Babies (0-1 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Fallen Angel is in Mousehole, a small fishing village in the far west of Cornwall, 10 minutes' drive from Penzance and 25 from Land's End.
There are some internal flights to Newquay Airport (74km). If you’re coming from further afield, fly into Exeter (200km), Bristol (300km) or London Heathrow (480km).
From the Airport
From Newquay, it's an hour's drive or taxi ride to the cottage. If you’re travelling from Bristol, Exeter or London, take the train to Penzance or hire a car.
Penzance train station is a 10-minute drive or taxi ride from Mousehole. It's served by mainline services from London and other UK cities, including overnight sleeper trains.
It’s a long drive to western Cornwall from pretty much anywhere, but the cottage is not far from the A30.
Detailed directions will be provided when you confirm a booking through i-escape.
More on getting to the UK and getting around
- Exeter 195.0 km EXT
- Newquay 74.0 km NQY
- Beach 1.0 km
- Shops 0.5 km
- Restaurant 0.5 km