“Rural stone cottages hidden among Lanzarote's volcanic cones: stylish self-catering with personal touches (each sleeps 2-5)”
Finca Malvasia’s isolation doesn't mean you’ll get bored. Stressed-out professionals can find solace in the on-site yoga hut, spa treatments and massages; families can head to the beach just 10km away; and action-seekers can hike or bike straight from their door on routes that criss-cross the dramatic terrain. Various outings can also be arranged, including private yacht charters and wine-tasting walks, and razor-sharp skies make for excellent stargazing come nightfall.
- Tumbleweed solitude; not a sound apart from the scratching of palm leaves on whitewashed walls
- Stylish décor and small personal touches, like a bottle of local wine on arrival, Egyptian cotton bed linen, booklets of insider tips on the area, and a DVD library
- Welcoming, knowledgeable and on-the-ball owners who successfully balance an eagerness to please with a degree of discretion
- A beautiful pool area, surrounded by a medley of sub-tropical flora
- Good self-catering facilities, plus breakfast hampers and lunch platters (by prior arrangement)
- The arrival along 1km of pitted dirt road leaves you shaken and stirred, but the real sense of solitude soon calms the nerves
- Some of the shower cubicles leave little room for movement without exfoliating your elbows on the volcanic stone walls
- Those looking for neon nightlife should give it a miss
- You'll need to hire a car
- High chair
- Baby backpack
- Stairgates (where needed)
- Baby bedding
- Night light
- Baby bath
Some equipment may need to be requested in advance
The cottages have kitchenettes with microwaves and blenders; the Main House has a full kitchen. You can pre-order breakfast hampers and Canarian platters.
- Swimming pool with shallow end
- Kids' splash pool
- Children's DVDs
- Toys and books (on request)
- Beach toys to borrow
- Golden sandy beach nearby
- Mountain biking
- Surfing lessons
- Camel and pony rides
- Boutique Villas
- 6 villas (each for 2-5 people)
- Self-catering (+ some meals on request)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Creche / Kids Club
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Bicycles Available
- Laundry Service
- Weekly housekeeping service
- Information packs
Each cottage has a different view over the vineyards, mountains or pool, and a different layout inside, but most are similar in terms of creature comforts and style.
We stayed in Papagayo, which has 2 double ensuite bedrooms, a huge living area with kitchenette, and a large, secluded patio. Its glazed terracotta floor tiles are dressed with shaggy rugs from Heal's, and the whitewashed rooms are broken up with volcanic stone walls illuminated by soft up-lighting. White-stone shelving houses a range of audio/visual equipment, and log-burning stoves make for cosy evenings if you’re here during winter. The bathrooms are a tad small, with walk-in showers (no bathtubs).
The bathroom in Timanfaya next door is much bigger, featuring a step-up bath and an indoor garden. La Geria has the most light and space due to its end position and extra windows. Both have a double bedroom and a twin room, making them perfect for families. La Bodega is the best cottage for romantic couples - it’s the only detached building, with a double bedroom and its own private garden away from the communal pool area.
The Main House and La Bodeguita are new since our last visit. The former has homely decor and more comprehensive fittings (full kitchen, private pool and barbecue area), and would work particularly well for longer stays; the latter is a cosy studio apartment for 2 (plus 1 child on a sofabed), and we love the sound of the shower room that overlooks the vines and volcanoes of La Geria.
All cottages have satellite TV (with English and children’s channels), plus DVD and CD players and a selection of films and music. Beds are made up with Egyptian cotton and snug waffle duvets, while bathrooms come with thick towels and robes.
- CD player
- Coffee / tea making
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Extra beds
- Food blender
- Hob or stove
- Satellite TV
The 4 smaller cottages have kitchenettes for DIY catering, plus indoor and outdoor dining areas. There are no ovens, but you get a hob, a microwave, a grill, and a blender (amongst others), plus crockery, cutlery and utensils; there's even a communal barbecue by the pool which you can use for free.
If you're after something more comprehensive, the Main House has a full kitchen (including oven), a private barbecue area and a 2 dining areas (indoor and outside). Perfect for longer stays or cookery fans.
Tea, coffee, water and milk are provided, and a breakfast hamper filled with mostly organic produce (locally baked breads, eggs, preserves and home-grown seasonal fruit) can be ordered. However, nip down to the farmers’ market in Tias (Saturday morning) and you can easily prepare your own; pick up local cheeses, fruit, vegetables and bread. Tarnya can also direct you to a good choice of small supermarkets (within 5km).
Several decent restaurants lie within a few minutes' drive if don’t feel like cooking. These include El Tenique (for grilled meats and fish), Las Cadenas and the funky El Chupadero tapas bar. Tarnya and Richard can also provide Canarian platters (veggie options are available) for your arrival or lunch.
- Breakfast hampers by arrangement
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Food blender
- Hob or stove
- Meal delivery service
- Crank down the stress levels with spa treatments and yoga classes to order in the cute, circular yoga hall, then lounge in a hammock around the pool
- Take to the waves with a surfing lesson, provided in partnership with the local surf school; 3- and 5-day surfing courses can also be arranged
- Ask Tarnya and Richard to organise a trekking guide to lead you over the lunar terrain. There are walks to suit all abilities, including volcano treks in the Timanfaya National Park and coastal walks
- Discover secret bodegas and unique vineyards on a half-day Wine Tour
- The unusual desert landscape is ideal for adventurous mountain bikers. For the less ambitious, road biking provides an excellent opportunity to view the volcanic scenery. Bike tours and bike hire can be arranged
- Grab your tackle (as it were) and head out to sea for the big game fishing season from May to December. Deep-sea fishing excursions operate from nearby Puerto Calero and Puerto del Carmen
- Saddle-up for a horseback view of Lanzarote’s stark beauty; several equestrian centres cater for all abilities
- Peer below the ocean's surface to see the underworld of Lanzarote - a silent, eerie land of volcanic grottoes, submerged lava flows and dazzling marine life. There are several diving centres on the island
- Golfers can take their pick from 2 top-class golf courses in Costa Teguise and Tias
- Get fit. Lanzarote is fast becoming a big destination for triathlons and Iron Man training, and Richard can organise professional coaching sessions for each discipline. Customised fitness programmes covering kickboxing, aqua aerobics and weight training can also be arranged
- Finca Malvasia sometimes offers week-long photography courses, allowing guests to work with a professional photographer to develop their skills
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Fitness programmes
- Horse riding
- Mountain biking
- Photography courses
- Private guided tours
- Scuba diving
- Well being
- Wine tasting
Best Time to go
Our Top Tips
Finca Malvasia is 10km north-west of Arrecife Airport, above the village of San Bartolomé in central Lanzarote.
Arrecife (10km away) is Lanzarote's only airport. Click on the links below for a list of airlines serving it.
From the Airport
You can take a taxi to Finca Malvasia, but you really need to hire a car to get the most out of a stay here (see below).
A car is essential unless you really want to be marooned during your stay. For car hire please see our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
More on getting to Lanzarote and getting around
- Lanzarote Arrecife 10.0 km ACE
- Beach 9.0 km
- Shops 3.0 km
- Restaurant 3.0 km