“Gorgeous eco-friendly houses and apartments (sleeping 2-12), many with ocean views and pools, set in charming spots in northern Lanzarote”
Other choices include a gorgeous 2-bedroom yurt with al fresco living areas and a plunge pool (also in Tabayesco); and 3 whitewashed villas with a shared pool (also in Punta Mujeres), a short walk from the beach. There's also a 3-bedroom apartment in busy Arrecife, the island's capital, for those who want a bit of nightlife or organised watersports, and a 2-bedroom penthouse apartment near the busier resort of Costa Teguise. But most of all, we loved our own seafront apartment, right on the shimmering water's edge, with views to make your heart skip.
This coast of Lanzarote is wonderfully tranquil, with small boats bobbing just off shore, and a handful of excellent cafés, bars and restaurants. It's only a short drive up to the astounding viewpoint of El Mirador del Río, or north to Orzola for boats to the sleepy satellite isle of La Graciosa. Some of the rentals come with a courtesy hybrid car, and all have English-speaking managers on hand for advice and adventure.
- Wonderful locations, great facilities and soul-feeding views in a tranquil, unspoilt corner of Lanzarote
- Most houses have beaches and restaurants within walking distance
- The varying sizes, from 1 to 6 bedrooms, make them suitable for everyone: couples, groups of friends and families
- Great value, especially if you stay for a week or more
- The locally-based British managers offer great info and services, including meal deliveries, babysitting and farmers' grocery boxes
- Don't expect five-star luxury: the houses are all comfortable but some have quirks (e.g. Arrieta Hideaway has an external shower; plus a bathtub indoors)
- A surcharge applies if booking less than 7 nights
- The Arrecife Apartment and Costa Teguise Apartment are different types of rental: buzzier and more urban, with plenty of space, but (we felt) less soul
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Villas & Apartments
- 10 rentals for 2-12
- Self-catering (restaurants nearby)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Concierge Service
The properties vary widely, but the majority - including those in Punta Mujeres and Arrieta - share a rustic Canarian style brought up-to-date in a pleasingly simple way. Expect white walls, tiled or wooden floors, patches of exposed volcanic stone, and plenty of space. Some have four-poster beds while others feature free-standing bathtubs with views. We loved the quirky local touches, such as weathered canoes converted into wine racks or bookshelves, and the pebble-lined showers.
The 2 Seafront Apartments and the Arrieta Hideaway are bang on the water's edge, with dreamy panoramas from their bedrooms and sitting rooms. All 3 are romantic choices for couples, or would suit small families.
The 3 whitewashed Punta Mujeres villas fan out around a shared solar-heated pool. Each has lovely indoor and outdoor dining areas and a great kitchen; the medium villa is an end-of-terrace, so carries a premium. They're a short walk from the beach and, sleeping 4-8 (plus baby cots), they are ideal for families or groups of friends travelling together.
A kilometre inland, the Tabayesco Yurt is surprisingly luxurious, with a generously domed living-sleeping area and masses of outdoor spaces, including a double daybed and a gazebo. The plunge pool is a huge bonus, and you can add a second double bedroom if you need it.
Nearby, the Tabayesco Supervilla is in a class of its own: a fantastic split-level villa that was once the owners' family home, with contemporary styling, arresting artworks and glorious panoramas from the pool. The master bedroom is especially fine, with a free-standing tub.
If you're set on staying in the island's capital, the Arrecife Apartment is extremely spacious, with 3 bedrooms (2 doubles, 1 twin), 2 bathrooms, a modern lounge and open-plan kitchen/breakfast bar, and a covered balcony overlooking the sandy Playa Reducto. This is a good option for those who don't want to hire a car. Costa Teguise Apartment has also been added to the collection since our last visit - a 2-bedroom penthouse apartment in the resort of Costa Teguise, which is a short walk to a sandy beach and may be better suited to people looking to embrace the bustling nightlife and eateries dotted around nearby.
- Coffee maker
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Satellite TV
All properties have spacious open-plan kitchens: the bigger the villa or apartment, the better the kitchen. A welcome basket includes coffee, tea bags and UHT milk, as well as a bottle of drinking water (tap water is not drinkable on the island). Before arrival you’ll be able to place orders for a farmers' grocery box, shopping and various other services. Almost all properties have a BBQ as well.
Local villages have small supermarkets for self-caterers. However, the Punta Mujeres-Arrieta area is home to some surprisingly good restaurants. We loved La Piscina, a small tapas place with great seafood, fresh fish and views out to sea; and family-run Il Lago restaurant. There are some cool bars along Garita Beach, too. An information pack in your rental recommends others, both local and across the island.
- Coffee maker
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Meal delivery service
- Restaurants nearby
- Shopping service
- Welcome hamper
- Basic ingredients
- Pretty sandy beaches line the northerly coast, along with several natural swimming pools
- Before arrival you can book various activities, such as walking tours across the island and in-villa massages or yoga
- You’re within a short drive of many incredible sights, including El Mirador del Río, the ferry for the island of La Graciosa, and several lava-formed caves
- In-villa information packs also provide many other recommendations including walking tours in Parque Nacional de Timanfaya in the west of the island, submarine boat tours, watersports including SUP and surfing, wine tasting in the island bodegas, and more
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Mountain biking
- Museums / galleries
- Well being
- Wine tasting
Most rentals are superbly suited to families. All have a full kitchen and indoor and outdoor dining tables, and there are lots of bathrooms and space so families can spread out in comfort. Beaches and restaurants are generally within walking distance, and some properties have their own pool/plunge pool.
Family friendly accommodation:
The Punta Mujeres Villas sleep 4, 6 and 8, and share a communal pool, so they're a great choice for families holidaying together. Baby gates and cots can be provided. The Seafront Apartments each have 1 double bedroom, 1 twin bedroom and space for a baby cot, plus a shared roof terrace with sea views. The village of Punta Mujeres has several sea-water bathing pools (protected by breakwaters) and it's 2km to the sandy beach of La Garita. The Tabayesco Yurt is a brilliantly quirky choice, with space for 2 kids, and a private plunge pool; you're 1km from the coast. The Tabayesco Supervilla is ideal for 1-3 families holidaying together, with 6 bedrooms (including 3 twins) and a pool. The Arrecife Apartment is right on the beachfront, with 3 bedrooms (2 can be twinned) and private parking if needed.
Kids Activities nearby:
Close to beaches. Local activities include lava caves, watersports and glass-bottomed submarines.
Families Should Know:
No pools are gated
- Arrecife Airport: approx. 30km from Punta Mujeres, Arrieta and Tabayesco
- Shops: 5 mins' walk (Punta Mujeres & Arrieta rentals) / 5 mins' drive (Tabayesco rentals)
- Arrecife Hospital: approx. 30km from Punta Mujeres, Arrieta and Tabayesco
The Lanzarote Hideaways are in or around charming, traditional fishing villages on Lanzarote's southeastern coast.
> See all properties on a Google map
Fly into Arrecife (30km), Lanzarote's only airport, in the island's capital.
From the Airport
Most guests self-drive. You can take a taxi or catch the bus but a car is essential if you want to tour the island. Most guests will need to hire one but those staying in the following properties receive complimentary exclusive use of a Toyota Hybrid car: Seafront Hideaways 1 and 2, and Tabayesco Supervilla.
Detailed directions to your villa will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Lanzarote Arrecife 30.0 km ACE
- Beach 1.0 km
- Shops 1.0 km
- Restaurant 1.0 km